The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
littlja

negative sparkin

hey all - any help u can provide is appreciated....

---- 1980 k10 350 short bed ----

the other night stopped at the gas station to filler up and she wouldn't start back up - she has always struggled a bit on hot starts

i tried to jump it but when i connected my negative clamp to the batt it arc welded the clamp to the top post

towed her home thx to a buddy - replaced all the cables today (starter to battery & negative grounds)

when i attempt to hook up my negative cable to the battery she starts to smoke and spark again

i'd rather not end up like harvey two face - what should i replace?

thx

JL
littlja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
ont_guy_38

Re: negative sparkin

I,m thinking your battery is toast
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Sounds like you have a dead short in the system, I would start by removing the large battery supply wire from the alternator. Then try hooking the battery cable up, If no sparks the alternator is the problem.

If it the neg. still sparks with the alternator un-hooked start removing fuses one and a time while checking for sparking at the neg. cable.

Good Luck
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

There is a dead short to ground in the b+ circut. If the smoke\heat is in the large battery cables and no place else trace the cables to insure they aren't cut\damaged. If they are clean disconnect the starter cable at the starter and make sure it's not touching anything and reattech the ground cable to the alt bracket. Little arch is ok. Now touch the small wires that were on the starter to the B+ cable. Small arch is ok. If you do this and get no big archs, replace the starter. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlja View Post

i tried to jump it but when i connected my negative clamp to the batt it arc welded the clamp to the top post

JL
I completely agree with the others about the short....but there is a serious flaw in your "jumping" strategy.

Never clamp the final connection to the dead battery (ground) to the actual battery. It should be clamped to another grounding source. The spark that you mentioned can explode the battery right in your face. If you clamp somewhere else, the spark is not directly above the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
BoeJaker1976

I had the same thing happen one time. On the back of the alternator, check to make sure the plastic (or rubber) spacer is in tact on the positive stud there. mine shook off and had to replace a ton of wire.

Proud service member, US ARMY
15Y, AH-64D Apache Longbow Armament, Avionics, Electronics technician
BoeJaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
littlja

so i replaced the starter and it still sparked so i started the narrowing process - (probably should have done this first) turns out ther are two black cables from my passenger side headlight harness that were connected together and then connected to the battery....they both were frayed a few inches down the cable

i cut them off and connected everything up just fine. after some testing i figured out that the two wires i cut supply power to the bright light and the front blinker - my question now....should i make a good cable splice back into the battery like they were or should i route them where the rest of my headlight wiring goes?

thx

JL
littlja is offline   Reply With Quote