The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

CPP narrowed track width drop spindles...

I got my new issue of Classic Trucks in the mail today and there was an article about CPP's new modular dropped spindles. The article claimed that they allowed the use of larger diameter rotors/calipers (or stockers) as well as narrowed the track width 1" per side and provided 2.5" of drop. I searched their site and the info I saw claimed that they provided 2" of drop and narrowed the track width 1 1/8" per side. I'm generally 100% ECE when it comes to drop parts but the possibility of a narowed track width for $299 sounds interesting...Anyone tried these yet? Opinions? Comments??

http://www.classicperform.com/NewPro...op_Spindle.htm
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: CPP narrowed track width drop spindles...

Sounds cool, but I wouldnt buy from them

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I got my new issue of Classic Trucks in the mail today and there was an article about CPP's new modular dropped spindles. The article claimed that they allowed the use of larger diameter rotors/calipers (or stockers) as well as narrowed the track width 1" per side and provided 2.5" of drop. I searched their site and the info I saw claimed that they provided 2" of drop and narrowed the track width 1 1/8" per side. I'm generally 100% ECE when it comes to drop parts but the possibility of a narowed track width for $299 sounds interesting...Anyone tried these yet? Opinions? Comments??
Narrowed vs. stock drum brake equipped track width or vs. a disc brake front end? That's the million dollar question . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Narrowed vs. stock drum brake equipped track width or vs. a disc brake front end? That's the million dollar question . . .....
Subscribing.
I'm interested in the answer to this question also.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
Raguemoe

I have them on my 67. They did pull the wheels in about 1" per side. They are a 2" drop spindle (not 2.5"). I got the standard size rotors (not the big brake setup). They would not work with my old 5x8 rallys and my buddy had to grind a little on the A-arms.
Raguemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I plan on getting a set of these...why wouldnt they work with your 15x8 rallys?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

I'm considering trying to get a 9.5" wide wheel under the front of my next 72 project. Narrowing the track width would help cut down on the amount of offset I would need. In theory, I could get a 9.5" wheel under there with about 4.5" of BS instead of 5.5" of BS (which is what I was figuring/guessing to begin with). I'm not sure how large of a diameter wheel I'd need to keep all the control arm clearances issues at bay...I'm guessing a minimum of 17"??

I also prefer to buy from ECE, but their spindles don't narrow the track width...But I do know that theirs will fit and they have excellent customer service.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
....I'm not sure how large of a diameter wheel I'd need to keep all the control arm clearances issues at bay...I'm guessing a minimum of 17"??
I had 18's on my 74 (18x8 w/5.25"BS using 3" spindles) & they still rubbed the a-arm. The only difference diameter makes is where the rim contacts the a-arm. Smaller diameter rims contact the a-arm closer to the BJ where a larger diameter will contact the a-arm closer to the shock mount.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
I had 18's on my 74 (18x8 w/5.25"BS using 3" spindles) & they still rubbed the a-arm. The only difference diameter makes is where the rim contacts the a-arm. Smaller diameter rims contact the a-arm closer to the BJ where a larger diameter will contact the a-arm closer to the shock mount.
Was your backspacing causing the interference problem? I was under the impression that the diameter had a lot to do with clearing the control arms?? For example. When I first lowered my truck with the 15x8 rally wheels, I had some control arm interference on the lower control arms when the wheel were being cut deep. I had read here on the board that a minimum of a 17" diameter wheel would do away with the interference issue. I went to a 17x8 wheel with 4" of backspacing and they never scrubbed again. Even if these spindles narrow the track width which would let me run a wheel with less backspace...The wheel still has to go somewhere! The control arms get wider the further away they get from the ball joints and I can see where there could be interference issues towards the shock mounts. I was just curious since going from a 15" to a 17" wheel cured the issue before if going up to a 18" or 20" would help in this scenario. I may have to break down and build or buy one of the lil tools for checking clearances. A $90 tool would be considerably cheaper then about $700 worth of front wheels I couldn't use.

On a side note...Are these the same spindles/brakes that there was a thread about a while back? It seems like there was a thread checking interest in larger brakes for our pickups and it was being monitered(followed up on? commented on, )by someone from CPP?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Was your backspacing causing the interference problem? I was under the impression that the diameter had a lot to do with clearing the control arms?? For example. When I first lowered my truck with the 15x8 rally wheels, I had some control arm interference on the lower control arms when the wheel were being cut deep. I had read here on the board that a minimum of a 17" diameter wheel would do away with the interference issue. I went to a 17x8 wheel with 4" of backspacing and they never scrubbed again. Even if these spindles narrow the track width which would let me run a wheel with less backspace...The wheel still has to go somewhere! The control arms get wider the further away they get from the ball joints and I can see where there could be interference issues towards the shock mounts. I was just curious since going from a 15" to a 17" wheel cured the issue before if going up to a 18" or 20" would help in this scenario. I may have to break down and build or buy one of the lil tools for checking clearances. A $90 tool would be considerably cheaper then about $700 worth of front wheels I couldn't use.

On a side note...Are these the same spindles/brakes that there was a thread about a while back? It seems like there was a thread checking interest in larger brakes for our pickups and it was being monitered(followed up on? commented on, )by someone from CPP?
It seems the larger diameter wheels will still contact the a-arm @ a given back spacing. The variance will be where it contacts the a-arm. I trimmed the lips off of my arms & the 18x8" wheels w/5.25BS still rubbed way before full lock turns. For comparison, I only trimmed a little more off the same a-arms for my 15x6.5" van ralleys to clear w/the same 3" drop spindle. I just trimmed more off closer to the BJ area vs, the shock area where it was needed for the 18's.

I started a 'cheap big-brake' thread about a system I was trying to convince a manufacturer to build for us DIY truck guys. CPP had no interest in this idea when I originally contacted them about it but did post info later in the thread that they were soon going to market their brand 13" brake 'kit'.

CPP is marketing theirs. The guys that built my DIY style set-up aren't marketing them but seem to have the customer service routine down pat vs. what I've read about CPP in the review forum.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-24-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Raguemoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I plan on getting a set of these...why wouldnt they work with your 15x8 rallys?
Wheels rubbed the a-arm.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguemoe View Post
Wheels rubbed the a-arm.
To elaborate, this is a common problem for all drop spindles; not just CPP's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

see ten- It might be a good idea to contact CPP and ask them. They have some very good product, but not so much on customer service. Read the review forum for more details on that subject.

Please keep us informed as several of us hav been considering that as an option.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
111stony

I have these spindles with their big brakes. I should have them mounted in the next few days. I can measure track width & try to post a couple of pictures if it would by helpful.
111stony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111stony View Post
I have these spindles with their big brakes. I should have them mounted in the next few days. I can measure track width & try to post a couple of pictures if it would by helpful.
Yes sir! It would be helpful! We'll be waiting.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

It sounds like these may not work for me either. 15x8 wheel with 4.25 inch backspacing will probably rub.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Kayotic

I don't have a reference with me, but I always kept this in mind....

All spindle drops,

2" drop may not effect the wheel at all.

2 1/2" require 17" wheel minimum.

3" you are on your own, not sure when or where the arm and wheel will meet.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotic View Post
I don't have a reference with me, but I always kept this in mind....

All spindle drops,
2" drop may not effect the wheel at all.

2 1/2" require 17" wheel minimum.

3" you are on your own, not sure when or where the arm and wheel will meet.
For years I drove my 68 Beater w/Western Chassis 2.5" drop spindles & 15" van ralleys (6.5" wide w/about 3.5" BS). There was ABSOLUTELY no interference. No trimming or grinding was required (to any portion of the a-arms).

I'm using those exact same van ralleys on the front of my 74 now & it has 3" Bell Tech spindles. It did require trimming the a-arm lip near the ball-joint & will still contact the wheel weights before full lock turns. It does not rub making normal left or right hand turns.

Those same Bell Tech spindles were on the truck when I had my 18" TT2's on there. 8" wide w/5.25" back-spacing & they rubbed the a-arm before full lock turns. The larger diameter rim required trimming the lip further up the a-arm because they contacted the arm in a different location.

Again, it depends on the back spacing of the wheel.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-25-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
edflores

Quote:
For years I drove my 68 Beater w/Western Chassis 2.5" drop spindles & 15" van ralleys (6.5" wide w/about 3.5" BS). There was ABSOLUTELY no interference. No trimming or grinding was required (to any portion of the a-arms).

Again, it depends on the back spacing of the wheel.
i have 15" rallys with 2.5 western chassis spindles on my 81 jimmy as well. fits like a glove.

Last edited by edflores; 02-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
Raguemoe

I put my Intro wheels on (20x8 5" backspace front) and have no rubbing problems. I also have a set of rally wheels (15x7 & 15x8) that I was planning on running. I did't install the brakes/suspension, but if you guys need me to check w/rallys or pics let me know!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
see ten
WTB this ad

Could we have some pics please!!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
northern 85

Pics pics please.
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #23
Raguemoe

Just got my issue of Classic Truck mag-Full article on this setup with mult. pics!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
Kayotic

2.5" drop spindles will work with stock 15" wheels and the original brakes?

I would like to order spindles and keep these temporary wheels(6 lug), but what to order - stock replacement or one specificly for disk brakes?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotic View Post
2.5" drop spindles will work with stock 15" wheels and the original brakes?

I would like to order spindles and keep these temporary wheels(6 lug), but what to order - stock replacement or one specificly for disk brakes?
Yes. 2.5" spindles w/stock brakes will work w/15" wheels (depending on the back spacing). If re-using 6-lug wheels, they need to be compatible w/disc brakes (OE 60-70 steel wheels will not work w/later OE disc brakes). You can get aftermarket 6-lug steelies that work w/disc brakes or use 6-lug 4x4 ralleys.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG