The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
jdurant

Really custom wheel help/info/suggestions

As many of you know, I bought Ken's Blazer project. I figured it would be wise to start with from the ground up, in case there are adjustments to be made. So, I am working on two things right now. Finding custom brake components and wheels to mount them to. Brakes will wait for another thread.

As you've probably noticed I like to keep things somewhat stock appearing. Since a stock rally wheel just wouldn't do this Blazer justice, I'm gonna try to do my version (which will be a little different, will share plans when I've put them on paper) of a staggered 20" rally setup. I had planned to get a centerline smoothie(pic 3, 4) and basically just cut square holes in it like a rally. Paint the face and leave the lip polished. Then, machine the center part, if needed to fit the stock rally center caps.

I have found a guy that makes his living with a cnc machine cutting custom patterns in centerline wheels--almost exclusively for duallys. It's wierd but after much searching online, he's right around the corner from where I work. I think the business name is Dima Wheels.

Anyway, like every wheel that I like, they don't come in the exact size and backspacing that I want and it's a one piece, so what you see is what you get. So I called Centerline(well a few times back and forth) who've been alot more helpful than I thought they would when I mentioned cutting my own pattern. I was hoping they had some other options, or really that they would sell me a blank two piece with the face where I want it.

This is what we came up with(pic1). Funny, there is another thread about this wheel right now. He can send me this WITHOUT THE RIVETS in a 20x8 and a 20x9.5 with whatever backspacing I want because it is a two piece. I think it will work well. It looks like the center part will accept the stock cap perfectly(still waiting on a call for the exact measurement) without modification. The contours of the rim are similar, and the line that runs in the middle of the rim is similar to an original rally(pic 2).
Pic1.

Pic2.

Price is gonna be 400 per rim, then 300 to cut them. For a total of $2800. Not crazy about the price. But honestly, I have a hard time finding wheels that I truly like for less than that. I've learned over the years that one place you don't want to compromise is with wheels. JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS WHERE THINKING, ANY SUGGESTIONS, CHEAPER ALTERNATIVES, OR ALTERNATIVES THAT WOULD WORK BETTER?
Pic3.

Pic4.

Here is a crappy quick little photoshop I did awhile back to get an idea.
Pic5
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 03-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!
Re: Really custom wheel help/info/suggestions

20" ralleys.....sounds awesome to me!!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Tony_SS

For that price, look into Rushforths wheels. They are some of the nicest I've ever seen, plus, he'll custom do size/bs etc etc.

But I do like you concept though.
Tony_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
bigarmzz

man, i wish i could afford to get one of Kens projects one of these days....that thing will be awesome
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I kinda like what this guy did.-LINK

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
jdurant

Good link. That could expand my options for center caps. I have wondered what a "square hole" truck rally would look like with an earlier smoothie style center cap. But if I go this route, I definately want to keep the squares.
Does anybody know somebody else that could cut the wheels, so I can compare prices?
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 03-19-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Check the Dually related forums. It's a big trend right now.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
f.monroe

Since you are thinking of moding the center of the wheel , maybe just painting the centers with the details that you are after would work . From 5 feet away the painted rectangles would look like the openings in a rally . You would have to get close to see the detail . Use a later model plastic Rally cap for the 88 up trucks that attach with the protective lug covers might clear that smoothie wheel . The milled wheel would be the better choice but a little paint or powder coating would also give the look you are after .
Frank
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
factory2wdblazer's

i like how you made them look like 20 inch rally's , i would got that way if possible. i alway's liked the stock rally wheel style. some 20 inch rally aluminum wheel's well look so clean.........the wheel's look nice smooth but wheel look better with the rally style square's around them
factory2wdblazer's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Conundrum

I also dig the 20" rally idea! Very cool!

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
jdurant

Update--My direction may have changed a little.
I'm all but decided to go through with this, right. I was happy with how everything was was falling into place to make this work. The only thing I can complain about is that Centerline wants to charge me more to do less to a wheel, and I'm still waiting for a dimension from him. So I did make a few other calls to see if there are any other options.

I got to thinking about what Tony_SS said. Kinda. Among other wheel manufacturers I contacted Jason Rushforth. I was thinking that he definately makes some quality wheels, though I think most would look out of place on a square body. However, he does custom make all of his wheels and is small enough that maybe he can be persuaded into making me a blank, then I could have it machined that way I've been describing. Long story short--for a few hundred more(which yes, it hurts me to say that, but I think its worth it), I think I have him talked into making the whole rim for me. I can't believe it. I will probably do some plans this weekend (on paper--no autocad.), but for now you'll have to use your imagination. We are still gonna talk some more on monday, so I hope this isn't premature. I am so excited, I couldn't wait to share.

I was thinking a BLANK 2 piece design, with the bolts in it(which I normally don't like). Like this one, but with black bolts.

But with this finish and a polished lip, like this one. Then cut the square windows in it. But, you see the the step notches on the edge of the windows on this rim--I wanna put a bigger step notch on the inner wall of the square window--If you can picture that. I hope I didn't lose anybody.

I may end up not using a center cap with these, because they are so attractive, I haven't decided. I think it will update the look a whole lot, maybe too much. Tell me what you think.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 03-20-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
silvereagle07

I like the Titanium version. A polished outer lip, stepped window notches , polish the window steps and center cap. That would be one custom rallye! I'm drooling.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

That second wheel is beautiful!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

It's hard to please me in the wheel dept., but that last wheel is BEAUTIFUL! I'd really love to see some 20'' rallies, too.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #16
jdurant

I just wanted to get something on paper to help visualize. Here's a quick sketch. I think I drew it a little small. There will be a little more blank rim. I also think I may make like 14 larger squares instead of the sixteen. The lighter shaded part is where the rim isn't cut all the way through--that part will be thinner in the final design. Tell me what you think. Does it still resemble a rally enough?
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 03-21-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Having owned a set of true three piece wheels (early Boyds) I can tell you from personal experience you will learn to hate those bolts.

And to answer your question, no it doesn't look like a rally wheel. It reminds me of a Ford truck hubcap...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-21-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #18
C-10volvo

Shop around for the prices on those centerlines. I picked mine up from Summitracing for about 250-280 (front and rear 20's). Centerline may also offer direct discounts from their website.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
Musclerodz

Jason is great to work with. We are a dealer for his wheels and he has done 2 renderings for me this year already.

EVOD wheels does one offs but expect to pay closer to $10k, BAD also does one offs, expect those to START at $6k. If you come in under $4k for one-off wheels your stealing them.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Jason is great to work with. We are a dealer for his wheels and he has done 2 renderings for me this year already.

EVOD wheels does one offs but expect to pay closer to $10k, BAD also does one offs, expect those to START at $6k. If you come in under $4k for one-off wheels your stealing them.
10k for 20's?.....
Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #21
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdadfox View Post
10k for 20's?.....
That is just a ballpark cost. Price will vary more on the amount of programming and cut time than the size of the wheels, the price you pay for one-offs where a production run, much of the cost can be averaged out.

Last edited by Musclerodz; 03-23-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #22
factory2wdblazer's

i can see these rally's already. i alway's loved the look of the rally wheel's. it dose look like a ford truck hub cap in the sketch but hey you aint chip foose it's just a scetch of what your going for. it's not like the wheel's are going to look just like the sketch...............that will be one nice set of rally's if you go that way. a set of 20 inch aluminum rally wheel's witch i'am pretty sure will be one of a kind.........the solid chrome 3 piece wheel is nice aswell nice size lip, but from personal experience to after a while you may have wished you went with a diffrent wheel just because of those bolt's....but they are nice wheel's
factory2wdblazer's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #23
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Does anyone have information on the 2nd wheel in post #12?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Nate check out Rushforth Wheels.
www.rushforthwheels.com.
The website shows it in polished aluminum,... but I really like the gray/"titanium" center.
They also have 6-lug wheels,... (hint, hint)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 03-21-2009 at 09:11 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #25
jdurant

Yall are in trouble, I finally figured out the multipost function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Having owned a set of true three piece wheels (early Boyds) I can tell you from personal experience you will learn to hate those bolts. And to answer your question, no it doesn't look like a rally wheel. It reminds me of a Ford truck hubcap...
Yeah, I've had a set too. I don't think it will be that bad, because a)I won't have as many bolts, and b)there will be a clear finish, not polished. Polishing mine was always the real pain. I see what you are saying about the wheel though, but I think the scale drawing will be different. I think the oval in my drawing doesn't help. And I've thought of some other changes too that might help. Please, though tell me what you think after the next one I post. It will be alot closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10volvo View Post
Shop around for the prices on those centerlines. I picked mine up from Summitracing for about 250-280 (front and rear 20's). Centerline may also offer direct discounts from their website.
I can't use them with the rivets. So, I have to buy them directly from them. He wants to charge me more for "babysitting" them. I quote directly. They still did more than I expected, so I don't mean to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
I'm impressed by him, and think he does good work at a reasonable price--compared to other higher end/per application type of operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Does anyone have information on the 2nd wheel in post #12?
They list prices on newstaglia.com. That site carries a couple of good brands worth checking out.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 03-22-2009 at 01:42 AM.