The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
m.lander

rear ended today

today on lunch i was rear-ended by a fellow. first, im not mad and dont think the guy is stupid. he screwed up and hell it almost seems i love to do that since i do it 12 times a day myself. my concern is how the insurance b.s. goes. im not hurt i dont want their stupid last 3 dollars i just want my truck exactly how it was before. does anyone have experience with this situation(state farm is his company. for instance, will they apply enough funds to spray the same quality paint or assure that my driver bedside not be replaced with a aftermarket panel from some other planet but will get american body panel from GM? i do have more funds invested in my truck than most new trucks on any lot but thats not the point. it means a great deal to me for whatever reasons i may have and im going freakin nuts till i find out how the deal will go down. so anyone that knows wether insurance companies treat you very fair in my situation or if they typically try to skimp with jankey parts, paint, etc. please fill me in so i dont worry.
m.lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: rear ended today

Good luck withthat usually theyll only go as high as they have to and that may be aftermarket taiwan pieces do you got collecter car insurance as a back up
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I have State Farm and I have always had good results with them. From auto accidents to home theft I never have had complaints. First I would take it to the shop you want to have do the work. they are not allowed to tell you were to go. second I would get a quote from that shop because they will want there adjuster to look at it and you can show him the quote you got from your shop. third. I always get a rental truck. I tell them I use my truck for work and need a full size truck. or else you will be driving an economy car while its in the shop.

Insurance tries to play the like kind or quality game. just be careful

Oh and if its not done right. tell them to get it right.

Good luck.

(edit) when mine got rear ended I had it detailed the next day to emphasize when they came to look at it just how well taken care of it was.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB

Last edited by So.Cal.Super; 03-28-2009 at 12:58 AM.
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
red71c10
The Red Menace

State Farm is better than most, but insurance companies always want to shell out as little as possible. Here's what you do: Fight 'em tooth & nail! Hammer & tongs! Do not give up and do not back down! Be a squeaky wheel and you will get the grease! You can use your insurance agent to negotiate things for you, but when it comes down to it, if you have to fight to get your truck put back the way it was, then do it! Don't let go of the fact that you want it back exactly the way it was! I used to be a delivery driver and was in a wreck (not my fault) in a company car. It was an automatic with A/C and was painted silver to match the fleet. The insurance wanted to replace it with a white 5 speed w/o air. The boss fought with them for weeks until they finally gave up and he got back exactly what he'd lost.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Sorry to hear that

Unfortunately you'll probably have to be an ass to get it done "right."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.lander View Post
today on lunch i was rear-ended by a fellow. first, im not mad and dont think the guy is stupid. he screwed up and hell it almost seems i love to do that since i do it 12 times a day myself. my concern is how the insurance b.s. goes. im not hurt i dont want their stupid last 3 dollars i just want my truck exactly how it was before. does anyone have experience with this situation(state farm is his company. for instance, will they apply enough funds to spray the same quality paint or assure that my driver bedside not be replaced with a aftermarket panel from some other planet but will get american body panel from GM? i do have more funds invested in my truck than most new trucks on any lot but thats not the point. it means a great deal to me for whatever reasons i may have and im going freakin nuts till i find out how the deal will go down. so anyone that knows wether insurance companies treat you very fair in my situation or if they typically try to skimp with jankey parts, paint, etc. please fill me in so i dont worry.

You will need to get some repair estimates. If your truck is drivable, go to three quality shops and get some repair estimates. The shops do not have to be where state farms wants you to take it to. The shops are your choice.
Depending on how much damage the truck has, if its in the thousands. They will try to claim the truck totaled. For a replacement or what they will say the value of your truck is, they will use something like the Truck trader ads.
If the truck is not mobile, you will need to have it flat bedded to a shop.
Most likely, only that shop's estimate of repairs will do.
Take pictures of your truck's damage. Also photograph the area and approx. time that the wreck happened.
If they try to low ball the value of your vehicle, be ready to show the amount of work you truck has had. Receipts at this time are great.
Clean up the interior, cause their adjuster will even put down your dirty carpet to lower the value of your truck.
If you are lucky, and the guy has enough insurance to pay for your damages, and the insurance agrees on the estimates. They will cut you a check, and ask you to sign a waiver stating that you will not sue the insurance co. and their client. If they low ball you and you do not agree to their final offer..... Do Not sign that waiver. You may need to get a lawyer if you can't get more $$$ Good Luck.

My experience comes from my '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, being totaled while parked in front of my house. The owner of the other car only had 3k insurance due to low income. To top it off, 10 days prior to the wreck, I dropped my full coverage ins. to just liability. I took him to small claims court and won, but he still owes me 3,600. Most likely, I will never be able to collect. The funny part is, that the 50 year old Chinese lady that wrecked my Jeep could not be found, they claimed she left the country and went back to China.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
Skirkpat

Sorry to hear that, good luck.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Primer69er
Just gettin started!

i used to work for a body shop, and state farm was the best. they never argued with a single estimate. i wouldnt worry a bit with them.
Primer69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
big_al_71

The insurance adjuster will come out and give you an estimate, you can then take your truck to the shop that you choose and get a second estimate. I can guarantee you that their estiomeate is going to be more than it will take to fix your truck thank your blessings that the other person has state farm they are the best and that he did not have one of the crappy insurance companies that are out there.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You are already past the point where you need to do this but.After your truck is repaired have it appraised by a collector car appraisal company.Or buy an insurance policy for "agreed Value".If you are hit then the insurance company will fight the battle to get your truck repaired.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Skirkpat

The problem will be when it comes time to fix or total, you can buy nice trucks 3 to 5,000. the game they play is called totaling it, unless you can prove actual money spent recently, you will probably be short in the end, they have the legal right to give fair market value and total it. you can usually buy it back , but even that is sometimes not worth it.

thats why it is important to have comprehensive coverage, at your percieved replacement cost.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
leddzepp

If you need a bedside replaced, it will be a re-pop. There just aren't that many NOS ones out there anymore, and no parts supplier has them. You might be better off searching for a good used bedside yourself.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
If you dont have it appraised they will try to total it and give you 1500 for it. Thats what state farm did with my 15000$ 83 short wide after a hail storm. I spent three months chasing reciepts to prove what i had in it

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

At least state farm let me get my receipts. They are the best

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
long69

as some have said your problem will be at what value they put your truck at. i would suggest that you get as much info as you can of some of the high end trucks and what they sold for or are selling for. so when they try to tell you that our year trucks are only X you can prove that they have gone for way more than what your damage is. they should give you a check directly no matter if you fix it or not.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

M.Lander, sorry to hear of your accident. Good that you are ok though. There have been several of our members who have been through the same thing with their trucks. One of the more recent ones was a young man named Cory from Joplin, Mo. He was hit head on by a drunk and lucky to survive. His truck was a total loss. He didn't fair too well in the settlement. His build thread is still here in the Builds and projects forum about a year ago.
Also in the blazer & suburbans forum there is the thread by Jerry down in Florida whose restored Suburban was destroyed by a drunk driver while sitting in his own front yard. He didn't get full value of it either.
I don't post this to scare you but to give you some insight into the insurance settlement game on these old vehicles. Good luck with yours.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #17
maddog1331

I have only been in one actual wreck in my lilfe, it was the other guys fault. His company was State Farm. My car was totaled (83 black RX-7) they paid me more than I had paid for it and let me keep the car to boot (I had another 83 black RX-7 that was perfect, just needed engine and tranny ).

Anyway, State Farm was a breeze to deal with in that situation. They paid quick, they didn't give me any hassles. I can't say your deal will go the same way, but from my experience I can say they did me right.

Last edited by maddog1331; 03-29-2009 at 12:33 AM.
maddog1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If they try to total it, then call an apraiser right away. you'll spend 100 - 200 bucks for a good apraisal, but it will be money well spent.
Plan on them trying to screw you hard.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Keeping an eye on this thread. Some guy decided to change lanes into me as I was pulling out into traffic. Needless to say, he almost met my driver's side fender.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

m. lander.... sorry to hear about the accident. I hope that State Farm will treat you right as I recently signed up with them on my new '69. Sounds like you are keeping a clear mind in the situation and that usually helps to pay off in the end.

Best of luck!
Nate

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #21
m.lander

i have a appraisal for a bit over 40000 but it is from 5-6 years ago. is this appraisal too old?
m.lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #22
Boog
laying low

Got any before and after pics of it?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #23
OARNGESI

Quote:
i have a appraisal for a bit over 40000 but it is from 5-6 years ago. Is this appraisal too old?
not sure but atleast you got something to show it wasnt an average beater
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #24
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
i have a appraisal for a bit over 40000 but it is from 5-6 years ago. is this appraisal too old?
I dont think so, if anything I would think I would think the value would go up

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #25
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
I would be digging out that paper work, and call them and see if they will update it. I'm sure you've added to it in that time period. Some of the better companies will do an updated appraisal for 1/2 price or something. Worst case, the adjuster will devalue it for age/wear and tear... general depreciation as if it were a new car when appraised, best case, he'll look at it as gospel.
Either way, you are a step ahead already. Most ppl don't even consider this till it's too late.
And I'm sure you know this.... but I have to say it... Don't give them your only copy... go get a few copies... if the original gets lost, then it's gone.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote