The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
ashx2

Exclamation A Hard Lesson Learned.....

My young son is learning a hard lesson in life. He's learning what happens to the heart of a truck when you don't keep water in it. That's right folks, he has messed this one up real good.

Needless to say, now good ol' dad needs to find another engine for this truck. So if anyone knows of a good resource for an engine for a '88 Chevy......I'd be appreciative of a pm or a dropped line in this post.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-19-2009 at 11:53 PM.
ashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
kamikazekyle05

Re: A Hard Lesson Learned.....

Where in central texas are you?
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
ashx2

PM sent to you.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Bummmer.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashx2 View Post
My young son is learning a hard lesson in life. He's learning what happens to the heart of a truck when you don't keep water in it. That's right folks, he has messed this one up real good.

Needless to say, now good ol' dad needs to find another engine for this truck. So if anyone knows of a good resource for an engine for a '88 Chevy......I'd be appreciative of a pm or a dropped line in this post.

Thanks,
Greg
you're not alone greg, i have a step child like that, 18 years old and doesn't want to drive, seems that he thinks he's a rich kid with no responsibility,, but made him ride his bike to town, the other day, didn't go half a block, gave up and cried, pathetic. But guess what,, when they wake up, it will hit them real hard. computers suck sometimes, but that what he does all day.!~!

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-19-2009 at 11:54 PM.
seldomseen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:

Thanks,
Greg
Boy, I hate to sound like the butthead that I really am but I have to ask,
"Why is dad, not son, looking for & replacing the engine?"

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-19-2009 at 11:54 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Boy, I hate to sound like the butthead that I really am but I have to ask,
"Why is dad, not son, looking for & replacing the engine?"
EL JAY , your right, son needs to get off his lazy butt and look for that engine
and then work his butt off to repay ol' ,( what's that ol dad stuff) get off of it and get'er- done" KID", and i am a butt head ,,don't mind saying so. that's why i have a step child he's not real, ,,,,I'll bet you still live in your dads house ,,do you pay him any rent,,my step child does !!! and i make him work if he wants to eat here too!! hey Greg if you read this good luck man, any way who's Greg here????? sorry Greg if this offends you, but make your son look for that engine ,,he blew it up.

Last edited by seldomseen65; 04-19-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Man you guy's are all tough on a man aren't you! He ask for our help and all you do is slam his son. I guess you all were perfect when you were kids!
I'll know not to post nothing about my family on here.
ashx2,
I'm sorry to hear about the engine. I can't help you since I live in SC but I hope some one will help you and get you in the right direction on a replacement engine. We all have our stories of what we did when younger that weren't so pleasent. I know I do! Good luck with the motor.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
69halfton

sorry, i have no contacts as I'm all the way up in the great white north.

how old was the motor that was in the truck? was it ready to be freashened up anyway? maybe consider a rebuild if its not THAT bad?

or maybe try to salvage good parts like heads? valve train? something that could keep the cost down? maybe just purchase a short block?

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Man you guy's are all tough on a man aren't you! He ask for our help and all you do is slam his son. I guess you all were perfect when you were kids!
I'll know not to post nothing about my family on here.
ashx2,
I'm sorry to hear about the engine. I can't help you since I live in SC but I hope some one will help you and get you in the right direction on a replacement engine. We all have our stories of what we did when younger that weren't so pleasent. I know I do! Good luck with the motor.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you.
I was far from perfect as a kid, nor am I now.......but........

I am of the age, or era, where we learned to take responsibility for our actions/mistakes. There was no choice in the matter.
If I screwed up, it was up to me to make things right, not my dad, or anybody else.
And when it came to doing things around the house, the rule was quite simple; "everybody eats, so everybody works."

A bit harsh by today's mollycoddling standards? Oh you betcha!

But I truly believe that I (and now my kids) are better because of it.

And, if Greg was somewhere near to me I'd be glad to give him a hand.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 04-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
69halfton

im 17, and the odd time whenever i ask dad for a little cash for doing the chores on the property his response is always

"your eating supper here tonight, right?"

and then i get back to work.

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69halfton View Post
im 17, and the odd time whenever i ask dad for a little cash for doing the chores on the property his response is always

"your eating supper here tonight, right?"

and then i get back to work.
Jason,
I applaud your dad; and I truly believe you'll be a better man because of him.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

lol

i dont bother asking dad, 16 here lol go find a farmer give him a hand here there, he'll recomend you to others..sometimes you find a generous farmer and ya learn somethig

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
lol

i dont bother asking dad, 16 here lol go find a farmer give him a hand here there, he'll recomend you to others..sometimes you find a generous farmer and ya learn somethig

You got it figured out, Youngblood.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Learn them young. Age 14 months and then today @ 3 Years old. I say do it together, Father and Son, and you will both be all the better for it. Good luck in your search.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CHIP72 View Post
Learn them young. Age 14 months and then today @ 3 Years old. I say do it together, Father and Son, and you will both be all the better for it. Good luck in your search.
now this is what i can say is that this mans kids will not be asking dad to replace a blown engine, great job "67chip72" that's how i grew up ,,working for what i needed when i was young, grandpa was a good man for teaching me what was responsibility ,,and i learned a lot from him,,thank God,,, i did.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
ashx2

Just to clear things up......

1) My son is not lazy by any means.
2) He does not "expect" me to do it all as he will be doing the work right beside me.
3) He'll be doing work to help pay for another engine because I can't do it all for him, nor can he do it all himself.

He is my son and my responsibility. I do the "good ol' dad" thing, because my dad would have done the same for me. He's learning a lesson and it's a somewhat costly one, but he and I will handle it together. It's what being a family is all about.

For so many to be helpful on this board, there sure are a lot that are quick to damn a young man w/out knowing him or the entire situation.

For those that have been helpful, I thank you. For anybody else who wants to pass judgement......shame on you.

Greg
Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Quote:

2) He does not "expect" me to do it all as he will be doing the work right beside me.
3) He'll be doing work to help pay for another engine because I can't do it all for him, nor can he do it all himself.

He is my son and my responsibility. I do the "good ol' dad" thing, because my dad would have done the same for me. He's learning a lesson and it's a somewhat costly one, but he and I will handle it together. It's what being a family is all about.

For so many to be helpful on this board, there sure are a lot that are quick to damn a young man w/out knowing him or the entire situation.

For those that have been helpful, I thank you. For anybody else who wants to pass judgment......shame on you.

Greg
Greg; to you i say well done and my apologies to you, and your right,, i didn't know the whole situation and i stand corrected. great luck on your search on another engine. and don't hesitate to ask for help.

respectfully
Larry

Last edited by seldomseen65; 04-20-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #19
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Hello Greg, sorry to hear about the engine failure. Unfortunately overheating a motor is one of the worst ways to kill one. You can pretty much write off the heads. They will generally have stress fractures all over the combustion chambers or cracked through to a water jacket. However, you really need to assess the damage before you jump into another complete engine. It would help if you could provide as much info as you have about the damage. Is the engine just running bad, did it pressurize a cylinder and bust a rod/piston is there oil in the radiator or water in the oil? Whatever you can figure out will help you plan an attack.

It also helps to know what your plans for the truck are. Are you looking to drop in a fresh motor and fix the coolant issue or just looking for something that runs?

I'm assuming that there is a radiator, water pump, pressure cap, or other situation that caused the coolant problem and that leads me to believe that this may not be a pristine show truck anyway so my advice to you would be to locate a set of heads for your engine (what engine is it by the way?) from either salvage yards or a head shop (they probably won't want your cores but you can try) and pickup a head replacement gasket set. It will include manifold gaskets, valve covers, etc. and try the engine with just another set of heads to see if it will run ok. You won't even need to pull the engine to do this. Just pull the intake manifold and the heads and swap them out. You could do it in a day if you have everything you need first. This will tell you if the bottom end is ok before you drop alot of money into a motor.

Just a tip: if any water got into the cylinders, oil them up before you put the other heads on to save the rings. It will burn out pretty quick.

I did the same thing to my first truck and swapped the engine out with another one. I wish now that I had just swapped the heads first. I had a 327 in a 1972 Cheyenne Super and I ended up with a later model 305.

I think it's great that you're going to help your son. We all made mistakes when we were kids. Best of luck to ya.

Last edited by highperf4x4; 04-20-2009 at 01:21 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #20
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:

For those that have been helpful, I thank you. For anybody else who wants to pass judgement......shame on you.

Greg
I agree with the other Larry.

If I have put you off, please accept my apology.
I honestly believe it may just be a "generation" thing.
Larry

Last edited by El Jay; 04-20-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #21
truckster

Quote:

Greg
At least he's learning a lesson and being responsible.

The first thing I thought of when I read your post was the phone call I had with my son when I was in Iraq. He was 20 at the time and had just driven the wheel off of one of my Subarus- the third car he destroyed. He said, "Dad, I'm afraid of cars." I said, "Son, cars are afraid of you."
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 AM   #22
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

http://www.chevytrucks.org/engines/ctelocator.html

Used chevy engine locator
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
ashx2

Highperf.....

Thanks for the response. To answer a couple of your questions, the engine will start up, but it blows white smoke out the tailpipe now and there are some unusual sounds coming from the engine while it's running.

The oil will be drained today to see if there is any water in the oil or not. It'd be nice to be able to get away with only replacing the heads and a couple of minor parts vs. a full replacement, but I'm more prepared for the worst than the better.

I'll take your words into consideration and try all my options prior to a full replacement. But the way my luck has ran the last month........probably not gonna be good.

Greg
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
ashx2

Larry / Larry......

Thanks for the apologies guys. It's appreciated.

Greg
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
Skirkpat

Thumbs up Re: A Hard Lesson Learned.....

The bottom end is probably alright, the top end is probably toast...I would find a set of heads first, Old Small blocks are pretty tough.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote