The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2002, 01:04 AM   #1
mudman

HEI distributor

I want to upgrade my Distributor because my vacuum advance is bad on my points dist. Will all early gm distributors work. I have a small block chevy. Are all small blocks the same? Also what plug wires do I need and does the gap increase on the plugs?

thanks
mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:13 AM   #2
BIG ORANGE

Wink

Excel makes good wire's atleast I've had good luck with them and the plug gap will need to be at 45,hope this helps!

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:17 AM   #3
72K10

Hey, mudman! How's Sioux Falls? My brother lives there, and also my best buddy (well, he's deployed to Kuwait(?) right now, but he's got a guaranteed return assignment there). Anyway, if you're going to upgrade to HEI, then you should know that Chevy small block HEIs are all the same; will fit any small block chevy. You just have to decide if you want a Summit, a stock GM, NAPA, etc. Or do it the easy, cheap way and find a "donor" chevy car or pickup in the late 70s or 80s. You'll probably stick in R45TS plugs, which you can gap at .045. This increased gap gives you better fire in the hole. You do have to change plug wires, though, as HEI wires differ from your original. It's a straight swap except you need to run a straight wire from an unfused ignition slot on your fuse box to the BAT terminal on the HEI. Hope this helps.
72K10 Cheyenne
72C10 Cheyenne Super
72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:25 AM   #4
GMC Jim

I bought my H.E.I fro a shop that specializes in disributor re-builds for standard and custon applications... I was advised that any distributor be calibrated to the advance curves as stated by the manufaturer and the application... Centrifugal advance weights and springs were selected to achieve the factory design specs. In my case, for a 402 engine; the following specs applied. O degrees @ 930 RPM; 2 degrees @1260 RPM; 16 degrees @ 2400 and 30 degree @ 4400 RPM..... A new vacuum advance was installed also; ( 20 degrees @ 17" hg. )...... I also regapped the plugs to .45 as suggested by the rebuider...... Have been very pleased with this ignition improvement and gas mileage, overall performance has been noticeably improved....... These distributors specs are kisted in the GM fatory Service Manuals