The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Thinking about the 5.3 swap in my 86.

Has anyone done this swap and kept the original 700r4 in the stock location? Thought about a 4l60e, then you need a trans controller. WHat would need to be done for kick down? And converter lockup? (probably just an on/off switch). Truck is a 86 k5 with a 700r4/np208.

I wonder if a particular brand of mount would work better, i will more than likely stay with the stock manfiolds and intake, i may put a cam in it to give her a little more power. The AC lines will have to be modified i assume, thats no biggie, and the alternator wiring.

For a gas tank, would an efi tank from a 87-91 work (with a different pump of course)?

And for the computer, i will more than likely stay with a stock computer, just modify it for a corvette regulator setup (one line instead of two). Any or tips or builds you guys have done? Things to look out for?

And final question, are the 5.3/6.0 sizes externally very different? If i find a 6.0 or 6.2 with low miles for a reasonable price i may go that route instead.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 05-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Manbearpig

Re: Thinking about the 5.3 swap in my 86.

I recommend you get a custom tuned PCM if you do this swap and if you cam it.

5.3 vs 6.0 is about the same in size.

Last edited by Manbearpig; 05-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Most factory computers for these trucks have the tune in them for the 4L series trannies. If you hook it up to an older 700R4 tranny, you need to look at what you want to do to control the tranny lockup. That is why the use of the later trannies is easier for many people.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

I was just going to do a stock gm cam from an ls1 or ls7, but i understand what you mean. I guess a tune will need to be in plan, we have a local shop that should be able to do it, if not a local guy and buddy of my dads has swapped a few ls2s in early camaros, so i need to talk to him about it.

Are the 4l60es and 700r4s the same outside? like lengthwise? I know the 4l60 is a bigger brother of the 700r, didnt know if they were the same case roughly. I have a np208 t case, so the newer trans should bolt up just fine.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts_restoration View Post
Are the 4l60es and 700r4s the same outside? like lengthwise? I know the 4l60 is a bigger brother of the 700r, didnt know if they were the same case roughly. I have a np208 t case, so the newer trans should bolt up just fine.
When my buddy straight axled his 99 he used a NP208 from a 90 Blazer with a 700r4 because of electric speedo and everything bolted up just fine.
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
I was just going to do a stock gm cam from an ls1 or ls7, but i understand what you mean. I guess a tune will need to be in plan, we have a local shop that should be able to do it, if not a local guy and buddy of my dads has swapped a few ls2s in early camaros, so i need to talk to him about it.

The 4L60E IS the 700 R4 with a computer input to shift and control it. They are basically the same tranny in size and capability. The 4L80E is a heavier duty tranny and it is the computer controlled equivalent of a TH-400 tranny. From there you start going up in duty ratings to 4l65E trannys and more.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
AceX
>130dB Moderator

This swap is more intensive than anyone thinks. To do it right at least... See if you can't locate a 6.0 instead. WAY more power for the same amount of work. Unless you plan to boost it that is.

There's alot of companies that offer an ECU and adapted wiring harness. Speartech, Current Performance Wiring, and S&P Engineering are names that come to mind.

S&P can get you everything you need to make this much easier, but be prepared to hear your wallet yell "rape." Just the fuel system for my 6.2L swap, is going to be something like $1200...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
This swap is more intensive than anyone thinks. To do it right at least... See if you can't locate a 6.0 instead. WAY more power for the same amount of work. Unless you plan to boost it that is.

There's alot of companies that offer an ECU and adapted wiring harness. Speartech, Current Performance Wiring, and S&P Engineering are names that come to mind.

S&P can get you everything you need to make this much easier, but be prepared to hear your wallet yell "rape." Just the fuel system for my 6.2L swap, is going to be something like $1200...
Interesting, tell me more of how you plan to do your swap, or link me to your thread. If i can get a 6.0 or 6.2 for a good price, it will be mine. They just sold a 6.2 for 800 IIRC with 80k miles near me, if i can get a deal like that ill get a bigger engine. Im hoping i dont have to modify anything transfer case and back driveline wise, because i would hate to have to have drive shafts custom made, if that ends up being the case, ill simply run an np208 or np205 from a th400 with a 4l80e and 3/4 ton axles.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I haven't started a thread yet. No reason to until major work starts, but I am slowly gathering parts.

For the fuel system, you'll need all new lines and fitting that can stand the MUCH higher pressure of a fuel injection system. You'll also need to swap out the switching valve assembly, fuel pump(s), and figure out a return system. All of this can be done using OEM parts. I'm ordering mine from S&P.

The ECU and harness (from most companies) will allow you to run the engine independently from any other system and will also have provisions for a check engine light, ODBII and diagnostic port, everything you need/want. Speartech, S&P, and Current Performance all have these options and harnesses available for LS1 through LS9.

I'm not sure if you will have to smog the motor or not, but if you do, be prepared to spend many hours chasing down sensors and codes. EVERYTHING from the donor car/truck has to be swapped over and working just as if it were the original vehicle. Cats, EVAP, EGR, MAF, and A.I.R. (if applicable). Some refs won't even allow headers. Check your state's smog laws and regulations for a better idea of what you're up against.

As far as a bigger motor, check the local yards. Many of them will have 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 motors available with "low" mileage on them. Some wreckers even offer a warranty on some motors. I know that a 5.3 with >50k miles can be had for $1100 with acc., harness, and ECU. A 6.0 would run a little higher, but not much.

For a drive shaft, I'm not sure what you can do. I'm having one custom made, but that's because I'm also rockin' a 6L80E and a new 6.2L from a 2007 Escalade. If I had to wager a guess, I would say that no, you will not need to have a shaft(s) made, but I haven't done a whole lot of research in this area yet.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
pcmcobra

Walt,
here is a link for my swap...
as for the fuel system...well, I bought an 87 tank(could have used my 86), 87 fuel sending unit w/ pump hanger, walbro in tank pump, a handful of -6an fittings and about 10' of -6 braided line.
I'd say about $500 in all. I went with single tank setup.
A lot more info in my thread, feel free to browse.
I would do it again, and plan on it!

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmcobra View Post
Walt,
here is a link for my swap...
as for the fuel system...well, I bought an 87 tank(could have used my 86), 87 fuel sending unit w/ pump hanger, walbro in tank pump, a handful of -6an fittings and about 10' of -6 braided line.
I'd say about $500 in all. I went with single tank setup.
A lot more info in my thread, feel free to browse.
I would do it again, and plan on it!
Sweet, ill check it out. I figure a 87-91 blazer/suburban tank wont be hard to find, may swap to a 40 gal if i can fit it with my hitch, even though it will likely never haul a trailer. Im still worried about having to shift the t case back, if i can prevent it by moving engine forward i will. Electric fan is gonna be a must. I wanna keep ac, will probably go with a vintage air setup.

Oh, and ace, smog free is the way to be One day they may have smog, but not for today!! When they do ill find a 73 and swap the setup in there haha.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Consider yourself lucky. Smog is the only issue I'm going to have with my swap. Getting a harness and ECU isn't the hard part. Getting one that will allow me to retain all my smog equipment will require time and money.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Consider yourself lucky. Smog is the only issue I'm going to have with my swap. Getting a harness and ECU isn't the hard part. Getting one that will allow me to retain all my smog equipment will require time and money.
Only downfall about califronia. Im debating between a car or truck manifold, only prob with car is id have to use a car belt setup correct? Hood clearence should be an issue, even though ill retain the stock flat hood.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
pcmcobra

If you stay with truck access. use the truck intake,like u said if you go w/ car intake, you can use truck access, but it takes some work.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

I see. I may not cam it, even though i may end up getting it programmed anyway since i dont really wanna run cats unless i have to. I mean.... they weren't on their when i originally bought the truck, so i dont know if they came with them or not *cough cough*

This is just gonna be a daily driver, not a weekend warrior, so overall if the power isnt that high i wont be worried, but if i can while im there then..... haha. I need to swap the 3.08s for 3.73s front and rear. Tires will likely stay at 32x11.50s since i wont be lifting it if i daily drive it. My old farm trucks just gonna need retired from daily service soon.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #16
Manbearpig

Quote:
even though i may end up getting it programmed anyway.
Yeah your going to want a tuned pcm with all the abuse mode and torque management that goes on in the stock ones.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #17
AceX
>130dB Moderator

You aren't going to see big power out of the 5.3 without either boost, or major internal/head work.

It will be a solid motor that will get you from A ---> B at the speed limit and allow you to pass as needed. You want a speed demon, get an LS2.

S&P sells a nice set of headers with O2 bungs.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
Cherub

Also think the ls2 will need premium gas, along with a cammed lq4, lq9 or 5.3. The ls1 or ls2 cam isnt worth the work to put in anything(bang for your buck).

If your running one tank the the cost doesnt have that great of impact as ACE stated.

Regardless of what you put in your going to want to account for a tune, GM stock parameters were booboo and it will really wake up an engine.

The Motor mount plates are going to be trial and error. Mine set my engine back and i had to get a driveshaft cut. Not that big of a deal since im just a 2wd and i plan on more hp down the road so.

The truck intake is the best bet for your app. If you switch to the car intake you risk losing the torque that the truck needs especially if your not going to cam it.

Last edited by Cherub; 05-08-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
Cherub

If your worried about power, my lq4 with header and tune will roast the tires from a 20 roll.......
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #20
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

the lq9 would be fun

or the l92

for the 5.3, i beleive the best version was the l33 correct? all aluminum block? And that was 2003 ext cab 4x4 only, or am i wrong? ive got plenty of time to look, i only wanna buy an engine once.

And ace, i always thought the stock 5.3s were a pretty peppy motor? i didnt know they were a house cat, ive always heard they had plenty of bite for the bark. they are basically a modern 327 right?

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #21
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Yeah, basically a modern 327. They have enough to satisfy guys who have been running under powered cars/trucks, but for me, it doesn't have enough, especially after 4500RPM.

Take my input on that with a grain of salt though. When I think of power, I think 500+ where as most people, even builders set the mark @ 300-400.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Here ya go: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/77chevytruck/77chevy.htm
Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #23
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

thanks for all the info guys, i still havent seen anyone do it stock lcoation into a 4x4, guess ill have to be the guniea pig as soon as the pieces come together.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #24
Cherub

ls1trucks.com will be able to help you out more with your specific 4x4 questions.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
ls1trucks.com will be able to help you out more with your specific 4x4 questions.
ls1truck.com i bet, not trucks. Thanks for the link by the way, i really should be studying for finals, but man that site has my attention.

My name tag says Ryan