The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Weiand vs. Edlebrock intakes

How do Weiand Action+ / street warrior dual-plain spread bore intakes compare to the dime-dozen edlebrock Performer intakes?

The motor is a mild early 70s 350, with a mild cam, and 4 BBL quadrajet. Just looking for more power all round, but looking at the Weiands, to be different.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
69GMCLonghorn

Re: Weiand vs. Edlebrock intakes

Personal opinion here: Everybody and their uncle will give you some technical reason why Edelbrock is better. It may be, but it isn't a noticeable difference, inside or out. The BIGGEST difference is that the Weiand's are usually about $100 CHEAPER than an Edelbrock. I ran a Weiand for 10 years, problem free and great performance. I'm running an Edelbrock now and it feels the exact same as the Weiand and I paid a lot more for it.

I believe that small block GM's were meant to run on a Weiand intake with a Holly 600 on top. (I hear the retorts coming already: save your breath. I don't like Edelbrock carbs. Shiny doesn't mean better.)

Last edited by 69GMCLonghorn; 06-18-2009 at 04:26 PM.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

For that engine, being as mildly built I'd stick with the dual plane Performer intake. You will have better low end, as compared to the single plane which prefers high RPM.
I may be wrong, it's been a while since I tinkered with that stuff. Now I just live by the KIS principle (Keep It Stock)

As for my opinion on the two brands, I have seen both put out some really nice stuff. So to me it's mostly personal preference.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
bowtiedude

If you are comparing the Weiand 8004 to the Edelbrock I have used both the old "Hiney Dyno" had the two equal. I would go with what you can get for the best $$
'69 K20 Chevy 406 4spd
'70 K10 Chevy 355 4spd 6 inch lift
'70 C-20 (son's truck) originally 292 4spd now a 350 4spd

Hey I didn't even want to until you told me I couldn't !
bowtiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
BigCarl

I was doing research on intake manifolds a short time back... Looking at the gains of each and every different manifold. High-rise, single plane, dual plane, super high rise, air gap... etc etc. Normally you will have a given increase (Say 15 Hp and 15 Tq). When you compare competing manifolds (An Edelbrock Air Gap vs. a Weiand Air Gap) you will have one manifold giving you more Horsepower (+ 2 or 3) and the other manifold giving you more torque ( + 2 or 3). So you will see The Edelbrock giving you 18 hp and 12 tq and the Weiand gives you 12 hp and 18 Tq, it really just balances out.

From my perspective, the only way you will notice the small increase in Hp or Tq is on a Dyno, not in your a$$. Now, 2hp here and another 3hp there and little stuff like that can add up...

But, don't forget, the dyno results are usually taken using a brand new engine. Good compression, nicely broken in where everything is working perfectly. Temperatures in the building are consistent, its running on premium gas, has brand new expensive oils, etc. So, you are not going to see the incredible gains they are telling you are going to show form stock. (Proven to add up to 45 hp and +85 fFt. lbs of torque).

I am not trying to sway you from buying an aftermarket manifold obviously, because you are going to get gains regardless. Throttle response will be better, air going in will be colder... etc. What I am trying to say is you are just not going to see crazy gains like they say you will.

If you ask on here what brand to by, each and every person is going to have a different answer.

My advice... By a manifold that looks good, you feel is good, and most importantly, costs what you think is right. The gains in the end are going to be about the same, no matter what brand you buy. Do the research, if you see a good deal, feel free to post up and ask. There is enough people here to sort out anything you need.
BigCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
RustyParts

Got a weiand Stealth on mine and lovin' it, throttle response is awesome.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

I was just seeing the difference in performance, if there was any worth sticking with any brand. Despite the edlebrock valve covers... I'd like to go with Weiand to be different. Just a little harder to find used.

For what it's worth, they open up a little more top end HP which is what I'm looking for.

Also, is there any objections to painting aluminum motor parts? I never see any painted aluminum heads or intakes it seems.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Brand doesn`t matter.It`s the design of the intake and what that design is intended to do for you.What do you want from an intake over what the stock can do?A mild motor actually runs fine with a stock intake.From there it depends on the cam.Is the motor built for torque or top end?Once I decided on a design i went with an off brand Chinese mainifold for $50 less than an Edelbrock that my machinist swears by.He says he has to plane most Eldys to the head surface and never has with one of these China-mades.Works for me.It`s a dual plane air gap,BTW

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
BigCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Brand doesn`t matter.It`s the design of the intake and what that design is intended to do for you.What do you want from an intake over what the stock can do?A mild motor actually runs fine with a stock intake.From there it depends on the cam.Is the motor built for torque or top end?Once I decided on a design i went with an off brand Chinese mainifold for $50 less than an Edelbrock that my machinist swears by.He says he has to plane most Eldys to the head surface and never has with one of these China-mades.Works for me.It`s a dual plane air gap,BTW
Want to post the stats on that intake? Where you got it from, brand, etc...?
I am interested to know what you are running.
BigCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
1968SWBBigBlock

Edelbrock - made in USA
Weiand - made in China
Both very good intakes - most of the dyno results I have seen the Wieand wins
Either will work fine and they are within a couple of dollars each from Jegs or summit
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
redbaron69

i gotta agree with special-k here. as far as paint i would check with tx firefighter about having it powder coated, great finish that would last as long as the truck.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Yeah in a way it's kinda sad there there are not any other major players that make quality intake manifolds other than Edlebrock or Weiand.

Just never heard of any other brand myself.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
myfirstcarwasa73trk

(i gotta agree with special-k here. as far as paint i would check with tx firefighter about having it powder coated, great finish that would last as long as the truck.)
100%
myfirstcarwasa73trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

I have my own powder coat gun, but would rather just hit it with engine paint, less labor. Plus it would match the rest of the block, no questions asked.

It's a mild 350, fresh from a rebuild before I bought it. Was built with a 69 Camaro in mind, and makes most it's HP in the mid/upper range, never falls off the ball while having no shortage of torque off the line. Was a 260hp motor according to the block numbers from an early 70s truck or van, but it moves the truck like 300 hp. The Cam is a little more than an RV cam my dad thinks. Can't tell you the specs for certain.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 06-19-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I can assure you that if you paint your heads aluminum color....they will not look like aluminum heads! Been there and done that. For some reason....aluminum on aluminum looks like aluminum! I have see a lot of guys trying to make it like they have aluminum heads and it usually looks like A$$. Then...it's not something you can just pull off and repaint.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #16
ERASER5

I painted my Edelbrock Performer intake Chevy orange Duplicolor engine paint. Now I just wipe the intake with a rag to clean it. It looks good to me.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I`ll have to ask my machinist guy who make the intakes.Made in China is on the underside .I`m a guy who goes with made in USA,but took his advise rather than question it.I`ll say it`s not as finished off on appearance as the brand names.But,he likes the fit (what counts) much better.I guess he`s trying to keep the onerall price down on his engine builds in parts and labor.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #18
FLDBRED

Edelbrock=MADE IN THE USA,that's enough for me!Honestly they are so close in performance you wouldn't feel the difference.
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote