The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
skillet

Carrier Bearing ID

Anyone ever see a carrier bearing style like this one? The bearing is sandwiched in between the 2 halves of the bracket. It is on my GMC 1969 1500, which I thought was a 1/2 ton truck, but I have never seen a carrier bearing bracket like this one. The parts stores all have 2 other replacement bearing assemblies that I am familiar with, but not this one, though I have not been to the dealer yet. I think the dia. of the shaft the bearing rides on is 1 and 3/8 inches. As a last resort, I ended up buying a u-shaped bearing/bracket assembly and cutting most of the surrounding rubber away so it would fit in my bracket. But it was not a proper fit, because 2 raised shoulders on the bearings perimeter don't allow the 2 bracket halves to fully come together. Feels like it's a little in a bind. All comments or info. welcome, thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
skillet

Will try to post picture again.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
Eddie H.

I had the same type of bearing on my69 GMC
The parts stores don't have any listing for them
I called the Chevy dealer, and was told they were discontinued a long time ago.
I used the heavy duty u shaped carrier bearing assembly that is readily available at all parts stores.
All I had to do was drill 2 new holes in the hanger bracket on the frame, and then make a spacer ( I think it was about 2 inches thick) that would locate it in the same position as the old carrier assy. This way the driveline angle wouldn't be affected.
It looks factory and works great.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:30 AM   #4
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Yep, they sure don't make em like they used to! Here's the sucker that replaced mine:
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
neonlarry

You need one of these. They are about $75, and way better quality as you can see. http://www.iedls.com/jpg/ujoint.jpg
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:54 AM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Skillet, that looks about like the bearing setup that was in my longhorn......on the leaf truck, it was flipped over & bolted down to a crossmember tho..... My driveline has long since been modified, & i am running the style bearing that larry posted(bottom pic). Im not sure how that will work with your setup, my front half is from a 75 Chevy van,& the rear half is from a 67 Ferd pu(cut & balanced as an assy).......crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Speedster 229

Me Too!!

My 70 1/2 ton 2wd leaf spring truck has the same one. I got tired of everyone telling me it wasn't original. I was lucky in that the rubber was good so I pulled the baring out of the rubber casing and replaced the baring only. I wasn't able to find a complete baring replacement. Glad to see that it was original and that I wasn't crazy.
Speedster 229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Not many part stores even carry that style bearing anymore. If you need only the bearing then go to a bearing store. They will have no problem in giving you one.