The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
c10Mang

Help!! Need advice.

Hey Guys,

I have been waiting on posting this for months. But the time has come. Here we go.

I got my ride about 2 years ago. It was straight no rust two owners, ran great. I drove it everyday for a year. Saved up some cash, I wanted to bag it and do some lil body work and maybe paint it.

When I picked up the truck, the guy I bought it from had a restored 1962 belair that look show. So I called him asked him where he got the work done. He gave me this guys number and said that he bags rides too, and cheap. So I called him. He was really cool and gave me some workable payments to bag my ride. He said that it was going to take 2 weeks. By the way this is my only car, and daily driver. So I made sure to tell him that I needed back soon. He was like for sure you will have it back..

So he called me about 2 weeks later and said that he had a 72 truck that was for sale super cheap, and he would change out my 6 for 5 lug. I thought why not? So about a month and half later I go out to his shop which is about 40 min's from where I live. The truck had been taken apart and the step notch was half done, very lil progress. He said that we was going to have all it completed for mooneyes show which was about 2 weeks away, and be bet me 500 bucks that it would be done. Mooneyes comes and goes, my truck really has not been touched. So three months go by and he gets the front end with power-steering and breaks done. And we where talking on a day to day basis, he was telling me how much he was going to hook up my ride. So another 2 months go by, and he calls me to tell me one of my heads where going bad. And I should get a new pair. So I did and a new motor.. He hooked me up with a old tranny that he had. That was cool. So we are month 9, I starting to get kinda bummed on this whole thing. I just ask him to tell me what was going on. He said that it would be done in two weeks. Anther month and half goes by. I call him, is phone is turned off for 8 days. I start to panic and think that he is selling off my stuff. I have bought almost every part new for my ride, and it is just setting in his shop. He calls me and tell me how sorry he is and that he was going to make up for it and make my truck show, and all the drama that he has going on. He gives me a new number and tells me that he has to get the truck done before the 1st of the this month. So I call him on Thursday for some progress and it goes to voicemail and his mailbox is full, it has been like that for 4 days.

I really don't know what to do. I can't go out there and pick it up cause it prob is in pieces still. I can't take it to someone else cause I have dumped every penny I have in it. I have been riding a vespa for the past nine months. I am so Fing pissed, and don't know what to to. And another thing, I never know when he is going to be there so I can't go out there all the time. And when I do, I have to go with a friend or borrow a car. I am leaving out sooo much B.S I have been through. I just need some ideas.

Thanks guys!! and help would be appreciated. :
c10Mang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Re: Help!! Need advice.

Sorry to hear about this c10Mang. Familiar story to me from people I know that have work done. These guys take on too much and cant get anything done cuz they get addicted to down payments on new projects. Thats why I am a DIY type.

I would throw an F'ing fit and threaten and get my crap out of there. Dont be nice, how much more BS do you feel like listening to? That's me, anyway. Do you have a CONTRACT for the work? If not say you want one with a time of delivery or you start getting paid.

I wish you the best and hope others have better advice....get your truck, Mang!!!!!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
19GMC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
I would throw an F'ing fit and threaten and get my crap out of there. Dont be nice, how much more BS do you feel like listening to? That's me, anyway. Do you have a CONTRACT for the work? If not say you want one with a time of delivery or you start getting paid.

I wish you the best and hope others have better advice....get your truck, Mang!!!!!!
+1

Let him pick a reasonable completion date and get it signed and in writing, that way, next time he pulls off some BS, you can get your attorney involved.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Chevy Fleetside

I don't think there is much you can do. Just keep trying to get ahold of him and see where everything is. He sounds like a guy I knew once who did body work and he did good body work but always asked for advances and one all advances were advanced he moved on to something else that would bring in money and let the other project sit. I hired him for my brother and he started in on my brother for money so I took over. I told him he would get payment when he got so far and so on. One guy could not believe he finished the project because he went through the same thing. If you get a hold of him give him some incentive to finish your ride. Even if you have to offer him more money but he can't have it untill it is done. Hopfully he is still around. Or go out to the shop and see what is going on.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

If he doesn't have it done by now,... it's never getting done. Cut your losses and go get your truck. Do you really want a hurry'd up job now?
This guy is a liar, and has spent your money. From a 2 week estimate to 9 months? Come on,... he's yanking your chain.
Drag your truck up on a rollback and get all your parts,... if he hasn't sold them yet.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I'd suggest you forget about working anything out and get your truck back however you can. Either finish yourself (if you can) or shop for someone reliable. Being nice is probably not going to help.

A friend of mine had a similar problem years ago, right up until the shop filed bankrupcy. My friends hot rod ended up being impounded as part of the unresolved assets and was tied up in litigation. After a year of getting no where with the lawyers, he took some friends, broke in and stole his car back, and that was the end of it. He lost a fortune and the car was a mess but at least he got it back. If you wait too long you might not be so lucky.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
daverod
SSN 706

I would get my truck back. It doesn't sound good.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
198plus

Been there done that......Get your truck and run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
creep
Registered Loser

A friend of mine has been waiting on his truck for 4 or 5 years now. He used to work with the guy doing the work and then took another job. He has since taken another job in another state and has been there about 3 years. He came back to talk to the guy (at his day job) and the guy said he still wants to finish it. That's the same thing he told my friend 3 years ago. I don't know if he ever got his truck back or not.

My advice would be just show up at his shop with a flatbed, a couple of buddies and maybe a police officer and get you property back. To me, at a certain point it becomes theft.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
PrerunnerRob

I'd go get it. Just be sure you have the ability to take any and all parts that are yours. I've been through this with a hi-performance engine for my ATV ten years ago. It finally took me showing up at his shop on a Saturday and not leaving until it was done to make him complete it. I still lost out on some porting work that was supossed to be done, but I withheld a few hundred dollars for work not performed. Good luck man!

Last edited by PrerunnerRob; 08-02-2009 at 11:05 PM.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
daverod
SSN 706

Oh ya and guns you'll need guns. Semi autos work good like mac 10's and AR15's. And if you have any big black friends take them too, or guys with a lot of tatoos. Go to the pound and get some pit bulls just let them out when you get there. You got to let that guy know who he's messing with.

Last edited by daverod; 08-02-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
c10Mang

Thank guys!! I knew you would have something for me.. It's funny if this was 3 years ago. I probably would have put him in the ground. But now I am sober law abiding citizen. So I just need to go out there and put it on a flat bed and get all my parts. The bummer is I don't have a garage to put everything. I will figure it out. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again for all your help
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Chevy Fleetside

Too bad your as far away as you are. I know of a place you can store a truck for $65 a month. I work on my trucks there and even do some painting. It is not the cleanest place in the world but it is cheap.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

That sucks to hear....but you have to get it out of there !! Sounds like he overwhelmed with alot of other projects...and as mentioned addicted to down payments.

You could always tow it to my shop ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

If your gut tells you something is wrong, then something is wrong...Go get it. Me personally, I would have been on him like stink on sh*t from week two. Very best of luck.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #16
mike73

C10 you should just pick it up the guy already broke trust and proved hiself a liar and BSer so now a lieing Bullsh*ter has your ride and blowing smoke bro........ Id be over there Compton style! Go get your junk
mike73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
daverod
SSN 706

Form up your posse and get er done. Just rent a storage space.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #18
c10Mang

So, I went out there... And he was gone. I guess that he packed up and left on Sunday night. The owner of the shop said that I can't get my ride and all my parts back until he tells him what is all my stuff. I can't get a hold of him and it looks like he took all the air ride parts I bought. I am going to try to go out there and see if I can get a better look at the shop to see what is left. This is like a bad dream!!

Now what..
Attached Images

Last edited by c10Mang; 08-04-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would say get the authorities involved if you can. This sounds like a case of theft to me. You have the title to the truck that proves it belongs to you right?

Man that really sucks......
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 08-04-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #20
c10Mang

Yeah.. I am putting together everything now.. I have a bunch of old posts on here. So that is going to help.. It is so hard looking at all these. I love that truck, so much time and money.. Man
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #21
ol Curt

You need to contact the local police IMMEDIATELY. The sooner they write the report the better. Even better if they go there with you to view the parts in question. Take your title and any other documentation you have with you.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #22
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Man bro, that is terrible. I can't believe this is happening...is this person a crack-head or something ??

Sound like what a CH would do. Get the police in here ASAFP !!!!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #23
Northern lights

With copies of your old postsn amd corresponding reciepts to back it all up, you should have no problem proving your case as to what belongs to you.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #24
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Damn... I feel for you man. Hope it all works out for you. Goodluck
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
Chevy Fleetside

Sorry to see that. I am trying to figure out why it is so torn apart. If I were closer I would come help you put some of it back together. I know these trucks like the back of my hand.

65 Short Fleetside BBC