The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
cheford

Not truck related ?

I was wondering because of all the frame/suspension mods one sees on here that someone could give me direction to a site or suggestions on here about converting a 2000-2005 Chev Impala from the front wheel drive to a rear wheel and placing the 6 with a SBC v8. How difficult do you think this would be? I'm thinking of what I might do to my high milage Impala when it dies.
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
6772owner
Gearhead

Re: Not truck related ?

Well I have never done anything that extensive personally, but I would consider it a huge undertaking. You would have to fabricate a front subframe (or maybe mod a Camaro clip?) then probably some subframe conectors (so you dont twist the body in half) and a new rear subframe or frame rails to support the axle (which could be straight or IRS depending on what you want) I would say its probably not worth it unless you have the tools/skills/drive to see it through. Just my .02

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It's one of those jobs that "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it".

If it were me, I would leave it FWD and consider swapping in one of the supercharged 3800 motors. The entire transaxle and motor should be a pretty direct swap.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
SCOTI

Jon Moss @ GM did a Monte SS years ago. RWD conversion (w/some fairly decent sized tires as well) & either sbc or LS drivetrain. Killer car for sure. Anything is possible if you have the space, time, talent, enthusiam, & bank account.

The question is, how bad do you want to do this conversion? Because w/o a surplus of those first 4 items, you'll need a bunch of the last one!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-12-2009 at 09:54 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
cheford

Thanks for your replies, I knew it would be a big undertaking and was kind of thinking out loud. My dreams are generally bigger than my pocket book. I like the body lines of these years of the Impala and thought it would have been nice if GM had left them rear wheel. It's not something I'll likely ever get to do but thought if something of this sort has been done I'd like to see how it was done. Thanks again ..JOhn
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote