The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Need some advice.... (frame going to powdercoat)

Ok, so I'm good to go on getting my frame ready. Wanted to wrap everything up, but need to ask some questions.

My frame is going off for sandblast/powdercoating. Thing is, I'm bolting in my CPP C-notches (I want to weld, but not skilled enough yet). I don't want things to rust where metal meets metal (notch to frame), so I guess I should paint that area, since it won't get powdercoated. What kind of paint will hold up to a powdercoat oven, or am I thinking about this the wrong way? I suppose I could just use seam sealer to seal it up, but seems like there must be a better way.

I want my trailing arm crossmember and tranny crossmember to be the same color as the frame. They are already powdercoated. Will sandblasting take the powdercoat off those parts so they can be re-powdercoated?

Should I just pull out those two crossmembers completely when the frame goes in for powdercoat, or actually bolt them in?

All of my grade8 hardware to bolt in the C-notches and crossmembers uses poly lock nuts. Will the polyurethane lock material melt out in the powdercoat oven?

Does anyone have additional tips of things I can do before I send the frame off for sandblast and powdercoat?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
thxbug

Re: Need some advice.... (frame going to powdercoat)

i have alot of these same questions
thxbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

pm txfirefighter, I know he is powdercoating stuff. IMO I would get the frame DONE, and then have it powdercoated. All of your mods done and installed. Yje pieces that have been powdercoated, I would think need to be stripped, and installed, before powdercoating the complete frame

Last edited by cparman; 08-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
C10Sim

Im no expert but I will tell you what I have experienced.

You want to have all your mods complete before you send it out for blasting and painting.

As for power coating other powercoated part it is possible.

Once you complete all your mods, remove all parts that are possible and power coat them individually. Once powercoated, then bolt right back up. It is a longer process but its the right way.

The heat will melt plastic so dont risk leaving your nuts that contain plastic on during the process. Besides a good powder coating shop should give you all this good advice.

1959 Chevy Apache 3100 SWB Big Window
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=597069
C10Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10Sim View Post
Im no expert but I will tell you what I have experienced.

You want to have all your mods complete before you send it out for blasting and painting.

As for power coating other powercoated part it is possible.

Once you complete all your mods, remove all parts that are possible and power coat them individually. Once powercoated, then bolt right back up. It is a longer process but its the right way.

The heat will melt plastic so dont risk leaving your nuts that contain plastic on during the process. Besides a good powder coating shop should give you all this good advice.

This
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

I do some powdercoating for my personal use, so here is my advice to you

Powdercoat the bare frame separate from all the parts that attach to it... Including the notches & crossmembers

That way you have powder on all the surfaces & you wont have to worry about your nuts melting, as they wont be in the oven

The oven well get anywhere from 350 to 500 degrees
As for the parts that are already powdercoated, you can re-coat them, but you must etch the surface (just as if you were painting over old paint) & pre heat the objects before coating them

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 08-29-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

How do I keep my framerail ends from bending if the notches aren't installed and I have a gaping cut out of them?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
How do I keep my framerail ends from bending if the notches aren't installed and I have a gaping cut out of them?
Keep the c-notches & extreme front/rear c.members installed.

Use some high temp header paint in any area you feel the powder 'spray' can't contact. You could also use some 'cheap' hardware only where needed to keep frame flex to a minimum for the powder trip. Once home, gently remove the cheap hardware (allen bolts work well here because of their smaller dia heads) & replace it with some shiny, plated, GRADE-8 stuff (bolts, washers, nuts).

It won't matter on the intermediate c.members.... If you leave them out, you'll likely scratch them up installing them so pick your poison. Pick a color that you can easily match w/a rattle can. You will be doing touch-up....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

have the powder-coater remove the C-notch once the frame is hung/fixtured ... apply powder coat ... re-install C-notch before taking it off the rack/fixture ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote