The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
Truckstr

(Long) Isn't working on old trucks fun (/sarcasm)

I've been working on my '67 for the past week. I bought the truck about two months ago.

It all started when I changed the oil for the first time. Some goof had installed one of those expandable rubber plugs as the drain plug in the oil pan. It was hard to get out, but when I did I realized why it was there. Somebody had stripped the threads out of the pan.

Well, I decided that since the oil pan gasket was leaking anyway, that I'd just change out the pan. So far, so good. It would even give me an excuse to make sure that everything on the bottom end of the engine looked good.

I ordered a new oil pan from Summit, along with a new two-piece timing chain cover, Max-flow water pump, a set of MSD plug wires, distributor cap and high-perf coil.

Oh, and one of those Fel-Pro, one-piece oil pan gaskets. I'll let ya'll know later how that works out.

I already had another distributor that I had rebuilt and installed an adjustable vacuum advance cannister and mechanical advance springs in. (remember this little item for later)

I got a new timing set and oil pump from the local parts house. No use in taking the motor down that far without those two new parts - besides, they're cheap.

I pulled everything down and cleaned it up and painted what I could. The previous owner had painted the engine black. Don't EVER paint an engine black. It might be pretty, but if you ever get an oil leak - well, good luck finding it.

Everything was going back together smoothly. Too smoothly. Murphy was lurking there, just waiting to "muck up the works" as the British say.

I installed the harmonic dampener, only to find that it interfered with the new two-piece timing chain cover. Rats!

I stewed about that until I decided yesterday (afterv alot of careful measuring) to cut the "lip" off of another timing chain cover that I had. I smoothed it up and, once I was satisfied that it wouldn't leak, I installed it.

Okay, says self, let's get this muthu runnin'! (aside: self says, 'yeah, right!' {sarcastic self})

Everything is all buttoned up. Now, let's install that new distributor.

Out with the old one, in with the new. Last thing to do: make up the new plug wires and fire it up.

The moment of truth finally arrives. Get in and crank it.

Nothing.

Crank it some more.

Again, nothing. WTF? (self says, 'I told ya so' - shut up self, nobody asked you)

Okay, let's go through and see what's wrong. Well, it had fire to the distributor, but nothing out of it. Bad module, maybe? Nah, it's the same one out of the old dizzy.

Pull the distributor. Switch a part and reinstall it and try it again.

Nothing. Sassin' frassin' double crassin' $#%@ POS!!!

Okay, calm down. What's left? Well, there's that little - what's it called, a reluctor - in the bottom of the distributor. It's a used one out of an old distributor. Maybe that's it.

Bingo! She fired right up.

Murphy had to get his digs in one last time, though, by setting of the smoke alarm from the burning engine cleaner on the headers.

Took her out for a spin. After she warmed up, she layed two nice long strips of rubber through first and most of second gear.

As I sit here, I'm bone tired and ach all over. So, why do I put myself through this?

Well, I love these old trucks!

Just thought that I'd share.

See ya,
Jeff

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I'm sure each and every one of us can relate!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Amen Yukon Jack......but the challenges in life are the most fun!
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
mastx

Like I tell my students, It is an opportunity to learn. Of course, one never likes to hear their own advice told back to them.

good luck with your truck.

Mario
1970 C/20 (in slow progress)
1971 Custom Camper Longhorn
mastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
Truckstr

It's a learning experience alright. LOL

I'd have taken my time and worked on it over a longer period of time, but my '98 Pontiac Bonneville decided to crap out on me too leaving me stranded. It seems that the upper intake manifold is made from palstic and has a nasty habit of craking and dumping coolant into the engine. Engines don't run too well on coolant, they like gas.

Oh, well. Might as well grin and bear it.

Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll get that fixed soon too.

Jeff

Old 01-13-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Man! What is it with us???? I mean, we can't wait to drive, right? So, we have to have SOMETHING to drive, right? Well, let's see. How much money do we have???? Zero. Nada. Zilch. So, we get a job. It pays, what, minimum wage?? Minimum wage in '64 was the grand sum of......$1.15 per hour, IF it was an Interstate Commerce regulated facility. At that wage, and working, oh, say, 20 hours a week (a GOOD week), I brought home almost $20. I had to drive 15 miles to get to work, using about 2 gallons of gas for which I paid thirty-five point nine (cents) per gallon. I had no money, and no savings (the job I had immediately prior to that only paid .85/hr). I had to buy a car to get to the job that paid me fifty cents an hour MORE money. My dad co-signed for me at the credit union to get a loan to buy a '54 Ford Customline 2-dr sedan, that was nosed, decked, sporting a tube grille, Olds tail lights, twin Smitty glasspacks, 4-bar Lancer flipper hubcaps and Genuine Double Eagle PortaWalls!. It was painted a beautiful '56 Dodge Royal Metallic Blue, with the interior metal trim all painted white. It was BEEEEE-YOOOO-TEEEEEE-FULL! My dad cringed at having to pay $225.00 for it....said, "I guess if you are going to have anything worth driving, you'll have to pay at least $200.00 for it".

I got it the first week of September, '64. I totaled it out the first week of February, '65. Took out a '64 Malibu and a '65 Impala, when it went. Wasn't my fault.

Anyway, the subject is working on our vehicles. We did it when we were younger because we "had" to. We do it now that we're older because we "want" to. Is it any more fun now, than it was then? I hope so, because I plan to dissassemble my '69, beginning in the Spring. You might want to watch the "For Sale" board. I might get mad and sell it. It all depends on ME and MY attitude.

Glad you got it running.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
toms68cst

Re: (Long) Isn't working on old trucks fun (/sarcasm)

Quote:
Originally posted by Truckstr

Took her out for a spin. After she warmed up, she layed two nice long strips of rubber through first and most of second gear.

Wasn't that all worth it????

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:42 PM   #8
johns1972swb/cd

WOW

Man those stories are deep thought!

When I was 17, I had a twin turbo 81 Buick regal! Man what a car that was. No cop could catch that car unless you ran out of gas first. I had to get rid of it before I hurt myself in that monster. My dad and I built it, we pulled it out of a pond actually.
I have got to find that picture and post it. I was a 231 cid that had so much torque it could pop the widshield out of the car. Well I also had a 70 show long bed pickup That when I was driving it, I was also improving it.

WHen it came time to do hei! I had a rebuilt dist and it did not come with the little jumper. Man that thing just about crazy. I worked on it for 2 days, then I was getting ready to put the old back. I figured that out. Then the truck got better mpg and ran smoother. I loved it after that.

John
johns1972swb/cd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:51 PM   #9
Truckstr

Ha Ha Ha!!!

It gets better. I noticed that I needed another lower radiator hose late last night - after all the parts houses closed (early on Sunday night). My old one had a questionable 'spot' on it. So, I searched around through my junk pile for another one.

Wow, here's one (says self)! Hmmmm, I think it'll work.

So, I go and put it on. Seems to hold water and otherwise looks fine so far.

Dum dee dum dum!!! All of a sudden it developes an unstoppable leak at BOTH ends.

It seems that the hose that I "found" was an old Wizard brand, which makes it - what? Oh, about thirty years old!

I had cleaned out my Grandfather's basement about 7 or 8 years ago and that radiator hose was one of my aquisitions. Well, it was brand-new when he bought it! LOL

So, late this afternoon I got the pleasure of going to Advance Auto Parts for a (another?) new lower radiator hose.

Gosh, I love working on old vehicles. {/sarcasm}

{reality check} Nah, I DO love it. I must. Otherwise 'why' would I put myself through it.

Got to love my old Grand Dad, though. He was a 'pack rat' in the first degree. I apparently learned well. "Oh, I'll keep that. I might need it some day." LOL

Jeff