The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
ol Curt

ol Curt Suffers Setback...I think

I didn't put my passenger side door on during the process. I am a one man shop. My best able bodied assistant (my son) moved to Indy. My two neighbors can do a lot of grunting, but not much lifting.

I have a fairly large gap between the bottom of the door and the front of the rocker. While the front\top of the door is very tight and looks like it should be dropped, I feel I am out of adjustment on the slots that are part of the hinge that fastens to the pillar. Hope somebody can offer advice on an adjustment, but I suspect I am not through with rocker work!
Attached Images

ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
62 short step

Re: ol Curt Suffers Setback...I think

Yeah, it looks like more rocker work to me.

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
terd ferguson

The door top's gap looks ok. Also, the height seems to match up nicely on the door's body curves. It looks to me like the rocker is just too low. But, I'm no expert.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I'm a one man operation as well. What I did to adjust my doors was open the door, place a 2x4 the length of the door, under the inner door bottom, not the outer lip - and support the 2x4 with a floor jack centered under the door.

It might be worth trying that, then loosening the hinge adjusting bolts to see if there is any more adjustment available, without losing control of the door. Be sure to either scribe the existing location, or outline the current fit with masking tape at the hinge so you can see how much it changes.

Because these cabs are made up of so many pieces, it's not uncommon to have uneven gaps in different places, or replacement doors that don't fit the same. Rather than focusing only on the surrounding gaps, I also tried to get the best alignment on the body lines, as in the crease at the bottom of the window, and the indentation just above the top of the front fender.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
ol Curt

It moved a little but not enough to make much difference. I thought I might go and adjust the other side a bit so it would close good. One of the new stainless bolts didn't feel quite right. I went to loosen it and it was snug. One more turn and it snapped it off in the A Pillar.

It won't be much longer and this thing will be sold off like many of the others on here. The only difference is this one is in pieces.

I may have to walk away for a few weeks!

Last edited by ol Curt; 09-14-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Hang in there Bob!! If body work was easy everyone would be doing it. Take a comparitive measurement from the left side of the truck to the right. Sorry if I don't remember, but is your left side done and lined up? With the fender off of the left side take a measurement from a hinge bolt on the pillar down to the top of the rocker and do the same thing on the other side.

From the pics it looks like the rocker is low like you said. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words until it comes to bodywork.

Go take a little break and go back to it when you have cooled off.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
ol Curt

Thanks Alan,

I think snapping the bolt off in the driver side a pillar was the final straw for awhile. That will be a bi*^* to get out.
I had hoped to have the interior bak together and working on body panels by fall, but the cool weather seems to be creeping in. I'm running out of years and patience.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
jason65
Registerd User

You'll get it Bob.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Hang in there Bob!! If body work was easy everyone would be doing it. Go take a little break and go back to it when you have cooled off.
^x2 I know the feeling, Bob. If I didn't have a back-up vehicle I'd have gone postal a long time ago, and I've been trying to get mine back on the road since Memorial Day - 08'.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
It moved a little but not enough to make much difference. I thought I might go and adjust the other side a bit so it would close good. One of the new stainless bolts didn't feel quite right. I went to loosen it and it was snug. One more turn and it snapped it off in the A Pillar.

It won't be much longer and this thing will be sold off like many of the others on here. The only difference is this one is in pieces.

I may have to walk away for a few weeks!
Hang in there, talk to the trees, we've ALL been there. I work with stainless hardware a lot, being in the marine repair business, stainless is notorious for galling (esp. if an air tool is used). I've found that a COLBALT bit works great on stainless, high speed steel and nitride-coated are basically worthless. Center punch it, try a cobalt bit and an EZ-out. Also, FWIW, I'm trying to make it a habit to run a tap through critical threaded parts, even when using new fasteners, just to clean em up.

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 09-16-2009 at 09:43 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
Hang in there, talk to the trees, we've ALL been there. I work with stainless hardware a lot, being in the marine repair business, stainless is notorious for galling (esp. if an air tool is used). I've found that a COLBALT bit works great on stainless, high speed steel and nitride-coated are basically worthless. Also, FWIW, I've gotten into the habit of running a tap through critical threaded parts, even when using new fasteners, just to clean em up.
I think that may be the part that ticked me off the most. I did run a tap through all of them.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I use stainless hardware at work all day. The stuff binds like it has superglue on it! I would suggest using anti-sieze when installing stuff.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Thanks Alan,

I think snapping the bolt off in the driver side a pillar was the final straw for awhile. That will be a bi*^* to get out.
I had hoped to have the interior bak together and working on body panels by fall, but the cool weather seems to be creeping in. I'm running out of years and patience.
........... You'll get it. And when your all done you can sit back and read this thread and remember all of the funs times you had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
I use stainless hardware at work all day. The stuff binds like it has superglue on it! I would suggest using anti-sieze when installing stuff.

If and when I use stainless it will be on the final assymble with antisieze. I know it doesn't help the matter at hand, but still good info for someone.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post

Yeah, I have the anti sieze to use, I knew I would be taking the door back off to complete the outer work on it, so I thought I would put it on with the last fitting. I didn't realize they would bind the first time in.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
62 short step

Just step away, i wanted to sell mine a thousand times!!

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

ok, first get a washer that will fit around a door bolt. weld the washer to what is left of the snapped bolt. then weld a nut to the washer, you should be able to get the bolt out then...
I suggest hanging the fender , and cowl extension panel on that side, that will show you if your door lines are right on, and then you will be able to see how low the rocker is compared to the fender bottom.
the doors on my 61 were a real b*tch to line up I spent a few hours on each side, then after I took them off and marked them I had to spend a few hours again to get them in the right spot.
I am going to look at some of my old threads, some where along the way I asked for some door frame measurements, when I find them I will post them here for you.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 09-14-2009 at 11:04 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I agree, take a breather. I was faced with similar misery a couple weeks ago when I just finished painting my truck, and then spilled an entire quart of paint on the left rear fender and bed. Actually it was more like I threw a quart of paint on it. 1,153 runs and drips. I figured I could throw the spray gun through the windshield, or what I did - go in the house and come back to it 3 days later.

For drilling the bolt, if you dont' already have a set - a transfer punch set from Harbor Freight is only 10 bucks, and will help keep the drill in the center. It's really helpful in not damaging the threads in the post.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3577
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

from these marks you should have 51 inches in both spots.
I noticed that the measurement was about 1/8th of an inch off on the passenger side of my 61 (50 7/8), after much inspecting and remeasuring , the measurement was off by the same amount in both spots on that side, I acertained that the rocker was welded on a little crooked from the factory
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I noticed that the measurement was about 1/8th of an inch off on the passenger side of my 61 (50 7/8), after much inspecting and remeasuring , the measurement was off by the same amount in both spots on that side, I acertained that the rocker was welded on a little crooked from the factory
What are the top marks associated with? Is there a seam there?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #20
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
What are the top marks associated with? Is there a seam there?
that is the bottom edge of the rain gutter, down to the door edge part of the rocker.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #21
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
Ok, I took the door off tonight...I'm starting to feel like a power lifter again!

I want to make sure I have this absolutely right. From the BOTTOM edge of the drip rail to the edge of the rocker where the door meets it is 51" front and back. Correct? It appears I am at 50-5/8" on the back and 51-1/2" on the front.
Roughly a 1/2" shift front and back. That would seem to make a big difference.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
msgross

remember that sometimes these rockers aren't perfect either. I know that some guys on the 67-72 side have had to pie cut (then insert a wedge of sheetmetal) the rocker so get it to lign up with the bottom of the door.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 09-15-2009 at 05:49 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #23
ol Curt

ok, first get a washer that will fit around a door bolt. weld the washer to what is left of the snapped bolt. then weld a nut to the washer, you should be able to get the bolt out then...

I hope there is enough of the bolt exposed to do this. I fear it broke off flush.

For drilling the bolt, if you dont' already have a set - a transfer punch set from Harbor Freight is only 10 bucks, and will help keep the drill in the center. It's really helpful in not damaging the threads in the post.

I wonder how many drill bits I would go thru trying to drill that stainless?Last time I tried drilling a piece of stainless I smoked two bits.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #24
Alan's Classic

Quote:
As far as welding to stainless with a mig, I don't think it will work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you can MIG weld stainless with mild steel wire. It doesn't produce as good a quality weld as stainless wire, but of course in this situation that isn't a big issue. It sounds to me in this case that the stainless bolt has galled in the mild steel nut. It is worth a try to weld a nut onto the remaining bolt to try and remove it though.....you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
As far as welding to stainless with a mig, I don't think it will work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote