The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Rack Man

Window Regulator Roller Replacement ???

I searched the archives expecting to find a bunch of threads on this...but basically came up empty!

I'm trying to replace the nylon rollers on my window regulators...I got some repop ones from LMC....so far while trying to install them I have broken one and have one that is installed but very loose...

I'm using the same rivet setting tool that I used for my vent windows....but, I cannot seem to get the rivet set down tight.....Any suggetions, tips or voodoo magic would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
coloradosean2009

Re: Window Regulator Roller Replacement ???

I am thinking that you may need a larger rivet set. The one that I bought for vent windows seems like it would be too small for the larger rivets that would be on the window regulators.

Another possibility is that your rivet is slightly too long. If that is the case, you can place a thin washer on the rivet before you set it. That would also add strength to the set.

If you have a picture of the rivet that you messed up, it may be easier to tell what is going on.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Not meaning to be a wisea$$ but I just ended up buying the whole regulator from Classic Parts. You get an all new regulator with new rollers already installed for $29.95. Life's too short. BTW, it sure was a beotch getting it in and out of the door though, but I guess you knew that. I still got the scars on my arm.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
Not meaning to be a wisea$$ but I just ended up buying the whole regulator from Classic Parts. You get an all new regulator with new rollers already installed for $29.95. Life's too short. BTW, it sure was a beotch getting it in and out of the door though, but I guess you knew that. I still got the scars on my arm.
Not to be a wiseass myself...But i'd rather not use Repop crap if I don't have to....I have heard that the repop window regulators are no different (cheap junk).....Its all a learning curve....and I enjoy it!.....Otherwise I would have bought a truck already completed!

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-16-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
I ordered regulators from Classic Parts as well. A lot better then the trashed originals they replaced
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
mbgmike

We sell replacement automotive window rollers for most all vehicles. Wholesale and retail
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Rack Man

Well...I set the rivet OK..the tool seems fine as the rivet is about the same size as the pivot rivet on the vent windows.

Its kinda hard to explain...but its just not keeping the nylon roller tight against the arm......Because when you go to set the rivet there seems to be no way to back up the rivet without breaking the roller....because the rivet is recessed in the roller slightly...and if you set it out flush on the backside, it will seat fine but then the roller will have lots of slop.....Confused ?....I am

Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Chada

I replaced one regulator a couple weeks ago with a repop from LMC. Not as nice as the original thats for sure but mine was toast and had to be replaced. Seems to work ok though and it is a pain to put in.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
coloradosean2009

I understand now. You need a solid backing to place the head of rivet against. I used a 3/8 Allen drive socket to back up the rivets on my wing window. You will need to find something that will be solid enough yet small enough to fit inside the recess. Then the fun part is holding it together while whacking the rivet.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradosean2009 View Post
I understand now. You need a solid backing to place the head of rivet against. I used a 3/8 Allen drive socket to back up the rivets on my wing window. You will need to find something that will be solid enough yet small enough to fit inside the recess. Then the fun part is holding it together while whacking the rivet.

Yep...thats the issue!...However, I did try what you are saying with a small socket and thats how I broke the one roller...because it is now using the inside shoulder portion of the nylon roller to seat against when you are setting the rivet...one hit and snap!.....Just doesn't seem like there is way to set it without having the slop!

I did read about some guys using bolt on style ones from like shower doors......I just haven't been able to locate any in 11/16" diameter like I need!

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-16-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
Yep...thats the issue!...However, I did try what you are saying with a small socket and thats how I broke the one roller...because it is now using the inside shoulder portion of the nylon roller to seat against when you are setting the rivet...one hit and snap!.....Just doesn't seem like there is way to set it without having the slop!

I did read about some guys using bolt on style ones from like shower doors......I just haven't been able to locate any in 11/16" diameter like I need!

Either your rivet shoulder is too short or the roller cylinder is too long. Have you tried using a big c-clamp as a press? It won't be easy keeping the tool in place but could be done.

Last edited by 71tahoe; 09-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
mclairmo

I would press the rivet, not hammer it.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Rack Man

I think 71tahoe is right....the roller inside cylinder is too deep or the rivet shoulder isn't long enough....therefore there really is no way to seat it tighter...As you can see in the 2nd pic, its recessed in there about 1/8" and it should be more like a 1/32"......

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-16-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
neonlarry

They should be recessed about 5/64 ths. I used a press when I did mine and they work perfect. A lot better than repop regulators, I tried those first from EC and wound up taking them back and fixing the OE ones with new rollers. If you back up the head and press them you should be able to get a good fit, not too tight but not too loose.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote