The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
kenm78
Broken Down

Heater Core Testing.

Just got a 80 Custom Deluxe C10 (Big Ten Model) pickup. I did notice the heater core hoses were cut leaving the heater core isolated. Not sure if it is leaking or bad etc. Any Ideas of how to test it without hooking it back up to the engine? I was thinking about hooking a garden hose up and just letting it circulate for a while and let the water run into the yard??? My only concern is it will be cold water, and without any heat any breaks, or cracks will not open and show a faulty heater core.. What are your thoughts and or recommendations?? Any testing cheats would be great.

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Prong

Re: Heater Core Testing.

Chances are good it's shot if it's been disconnected. Personally, I'd just spend $30 on a new one and then you'll know what you've got.
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
kenm78
Broken Down

Well I decided to test the heater core that is in the truck. I hooked up the heater hoses using a 1/2 inline water valve from a local hardware store ended up spending about 18 bucks on the components. I hooked everything up opened the valves and wouldn't you know it...... NO LEAKS!!!! Sun shines on a dogs A$$ on occasions. Been running it for 2 days now with no internal or external leaks..

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
karl

Just pray it holds up. I never run tap water in my truck. Always distiled and antifreeze. My heater cores and radiators last forever. I flush and fill every year or so.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
kenm78
Broken Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
Just pray it holds up. I never run tap water in my truck. Always distiled and antifreeze. My heater cores and radiators last forever. I flush and fill every year or so.
I'm not running tap water. I am using premix 50/50 antifreeze. I installed water shut off valves so if an when there is a problem the the heater core I can isolate it faster. Hopefully it lasts we shall see though.....