The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Thealien

welding helmet help

I am thinking about a new welding helmet for mig welding. I am considering the auto darkening types. The welding shops have them for $130+ amd harbor frieght and ebay has them for $40 and up. Is there a difference worth the $100 or is this one of the things welding shops make money on like best buy and HDMI cables?

Thanks
Mark
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: welding helmet help

I bought the harbor freight auto darkening helmet and havent had an issue with it at all. I have used it a ton and its been great. I'm sure the more expensive helmets would be the way to go if you were going to be constantly welding for long periods of time.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
cdowns

get the biggest window and lightest weight helmet you can find//adjustable auto darkening makes a big difference too
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

I thought about the "lower buck" helmets, but ended up going with a better one. You only get one set of eyes.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
I thought about the "lower buck" helmets, but ended up going with a better one. You only get one set of eyes.
I agree with that statement and that is why I am asking. Are there improvements in the higher priced helmets or just a higher price?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
ERASER5

I am taking weld classes now. I bought a HF Eagle helmet for about $75. It works great. The tint adjustment is on the out side, so I can adjust it as I go. I have had 0 issues.

Most of use in the class are displaced workers, so we are not spring chickens and we want the most bang for our buck, seeing as we don't have many bucks.

Some of the fellows have their Speedglass helmets from work. The Speedglass is a very nice, very expensive unit. It has a mouth vent that help keep the screen from fogging. All the controls are inside. You must remove the helmet to adjust.

Two guys have Hobart helmets. Again very nice units. And also expensive. Adjustments are also inside.

Just my thoughts.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
good answer dude my dad had a saying to about motorcycle helmets he said if you got a 10 dollar head get a 10 dollar helmet if you got a 500 dollar head get the 500 dollar helmet

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70blowngmc View Post
good answer dude my dad had a saying to about motorcycle helmets he said if you got a 10 dollar head get a 10 dollar helmet if you got a 500 dollar head get the 500 dollar helmet
Again I agree with the statement but I still haven't heard one reply with any more evidence than it cost more it must be better?

I used the anaology of HDMI cables. Monster cables are over $100 at best buy. You can get HDMI cables at monoprice for less than $5.00 and they have been PROVEN to work just as good. It is also why I asked about the ANSI rating on the cheaper helmets. So please all you guys recomending the pricier helmets can you give me any actual data such as quicker darkening etc?

I really am looking for information

Please don't take this the wrong way I apreciate ALL the replies. I just like to make informed decisions.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
GruntMoanCough

Bought this one a coupla years ago for $60 (reg. $100), am quite pleased with it, works well, and have had no problems. One disadvantage is the life expectency of the power unit of 6 years but, at that price, so what.
IMO, with the higher end helmets, you're paying for better quality of manufacturing, will take more abuse, and the fancy stuff like paint jobs on them.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Thealien

does the harbor freight helmet have an ANSI rating?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Speaking from someone who has suffered flash burn multiple times, don’t skimp on the helmet...fancy painted welding helmets don’t make a bit of different but the quality of the lens does. Get the helmet from a good welding supply outfit. When they first came out they ran in the 300 to 400 range now they have come down a bit in price.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
Speaking from someone who has suffered flash burn multiple times, don’t skimp on the helmet...fancy painted welding helmets don’t make a bit of different but the quality of the lens does. Get the helmet from a good welding supply outfit. When they first came out they ran in the 300 to 400 range now they have come down a bit in price.
Please don't take this the wrong way but I am not sure I should be taking welding helmet advice from someone who has suffered flash burn multiple times? Either your choice of helmets or your willingness to use them has been a little off?

Just messing with you, we only have 2 eyes and that is exactly why I am asking a bunch of people with experience with the equipment in question.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way but I am not sure I should be taking welding helmet advice from someone who has suffered flash burn multiple times? Either your choice of helmets or your willingness to use them has been a little off?
Just messing with you, we only have 2 eyes and that is exactly why I am asking a bunch of people with experience with the equipment in question.

LOL you would be surprised how easy it is to get flash burn. Sometime you don’t noticed simple things such as the light reflecting off an object and getting under your helmet.
Or you just didn’t pay attention to the guy welding all day in the next bay is affecting you, I few little flashes here and there add up at the end of the night. I think I have had it 3 times in the last 20 years. I use to laugh at the welders that work with me when they got it ...... till I got it LOL

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
LOL you would be surprised how easy it is to get flash burn. Sometime you don’t noticed simple things such as the light reflecting off an object and getting under your helmet.
Or you just didn’t pay attention to the guy welding all day in the next bay is affecting you, I few little flashes here and there add up at the end of the night. I think I have had it 3 times in the last 20 years. I use to laugh at the welders that work with me when they got it ...... till I got it LOL
Just busting you a little. I have had one flash and one was enough.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
does the harbor freight helmet have an ANSI rating?
Yes!

I would also add, look for a battery powered AND solar powered unit. The solar will keep the battery powered up for a very long long time. You do not want a power failure in the middle of a hot weld!

Last edited by ERASER5; 09-24-2009 at 02:23 PM.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I have an auto darkening helmet from Northern Tools. Solar powered, adjustable shade. I think it was about $75. Has good reviews, darkens fast, and is adjustable. I don't weld that often, so it works good enough for me.

Last edited by Sinister; 09-24-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #17
arm51
beer me

i have a hobart auto darkening helmet and its great ive had it for about 6 months and so far no problem and it was fairly cheap i think i paid 90 bucks for it at rural king
ill keep my freedom my guns my money my religion and you can keep your CHANGE-hank williams jr
arm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #18
Sillyoldman

As a occasional hack I found the HF auto darkening to work for me. My welding is very limited and is my wallet. If I were welding all the time I could justify spending more money on one.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #19
Kim57

I had a hobart auto darkening helmet that went bad on me. When I was looking for a replacement at the welding supply house the salesman recomended HF. He said they were just as good as the name brand helmets without the name or high price. Been using it for a few years now without any issues.
I do think they have an ANSI rating but won't swear to it.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
BarryB

I have an auto darkening from Jackson, been used and abused and still holding up pretty good. I've used the ones from HF, I've noticed that the darkening doesn't seem to get as dark as more expensive models, always seemed like it needed to go a shade or two darker to compare to the same tint value of the more expensive models.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 09-24-2009 at 12:32 AM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:25 AM   #21
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I haven't done alot of homework on the subject as I've had my Miller lid for 3 yrs and have been quite happy with it,but I would look at how many arc sensors are built into the lense.Mine has four (one in each corner) which is what I would get again if I bought another one.Reason being is if you only have one or two at the top of the lense and you're welding in a tight area,there's a good chance that the sensors will be blocked and the lense won't darken.It won't give you a flash but it will of course make you see spots for a bit.hehe.
adjustable shade is nice too mine is 9-13 which is more than enough for me.I use 9 when I'm welding outside and wearing shaded safety glasses,and 10-11 when inside with clear glasses (should always be wearing glasses,they can help prevent a flash on their own).
One feature that my helmet is lacking is the grind feature.If you can,get one with it!If I had to do it again,I'd go over budget for it.My helmet (even with the sensitivity turned down to nothing)triggers with even light grinding which is a bit of a bugger.Double eye protection in my mind is very important when grinding and a helmet that triggers every time you think about grinding won't encourage you to practice that.
As far as the controls on the outside,I dunno mine are on the inside and after a bit of time,I can adjust my inside controls just fine without taking the thing off.
How it's powered is the other thing.My dad has one that is solar powered.Works fine,but it'll sometimes surprise you if it sits for awhile between uses.If that happens,it needs to sit out in the sun for awhile before using.Mine is powered by a watch battery which I prefer.It has a little light that warns you if the battery is getting low.I've gone through 2 in three years with a fair amount of use.
After all that,I would looks at how many sensors(4 is what I'd want but it depends on what you're doing with it).
Adjustable shade and sensitivity are both nice to have though most have that now.
Grind feature would be no.1 or a close second to me.(a grind setting that works btw,I forgot to mention that I've used one or two that didn't)
Battery powered IMO is best.
One other thing,it wouldn't hurt to check into how much the replacement clear lenses are.I know I was shocked when they told me $8 each!!Regardless of the cost,make dang sure you have clear lenses on BOTH sides of the shaded lense!I know fellas that didn't bother with the inside one to save a few bucks,but ended up with a terribly pitted autodark lense.Guess why.They didn't have a grind setting and they flipped the helmet up and shot sparks at it lol.
Anyhow,if you find a helmet with those features and it's comfortable (light is good as was mentioned) and it costs less than $100,go for it.I wouldn't be shy to spend more the extras though.Sight is good .
Sorry for the novel.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #22
68K20 x Drill

I have the $500 HF special, and while the autodark part works well, the difference in the hardware holding it to your head (or not) is immediately apparent, and a constant annoyance. it wont stay up or down, and likes to launch the brain clamp adjuster and spring across the shop.

$15 on a brand name headgear, a few zip ties to make it work, and i am a happy guy.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
nds1968

I have a Miller helmet. It has four sensors, battery and solar power,delay feature (was a must), grind feature shade #3, auto on, and a very large viewing area. It's light weight and flexible and very conforming shape (not big and square). It was around $200 for a black one(customer/friend price),and you can buy replacement parts with no hassle (rubber gaskets, lenses, and head gear).

I welded every day though and coworkers bought the HF ones and would return them within a month. But we welded every day on the job.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...mets/elite.php

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
1970 chev truck
Weldin' it up

I have a Miller Digital Elite, got it for about $280, its a great helmet, large viewing area, easy digital settings, works excellent.
If need be, send me an e-mail at cbm_racing_90@hotmail.com
1970 Custom/10 LWB 4X4 350/TH350
2003 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab
1974 Kawasaki 175 F7 Enduro
2002 Polaris Edge X 700
1970 chev truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
mclairmo

I've never used the auto dark type helmet. Does it really go dark quick enough to prevent your eyes from being exposed to any flash? I mean even if your eyes are exposed for a fraction of a second, if you weld a lot, that small amount of exposure can add up. Or am I wrong? I feel safer with a regular helmet but wondering just how good and safe the auto darkening ones really are.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote