The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
terd ferguson

I'm rewiring my '55.2, have a question and will probably have more as I go...

I doing a complete rewire on my '55 2nd series and have a question. First the background info. I got a complete factory style replacement harness like the catalog places sell. I got it from my local chevy truck shop guy, Dixie Truckworks. They're local and he's a hell of a good guy. But being it's Sunday, I can't call for advice. The harness is good quality, but the wires are not factory colored. They are all numbered and come with "instructions" that show where each wire goes. This brings me to my question...

My first issue is with the generator wiring. There are two terminals on the genereator. There are two numbered wires for these two terminals. The instruction sheet shows wire #25 goes to "Generator (F Terminal)" and it's a blue wire. It shows wire #26 goes to "Generator (A Terminal)" and it's a larger red wire. The wires that came off were both black and the same size. So which goes where?

I appreciate the help and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. It's a little more complicated in some ways and less complicated in other ways than I thought it was going to be. I'll get it done, especially with the help of all of you guys. Thanks a bunch.

***EDITED TO ADD***
This is a 235/generator truck. I should've included that info too.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"

Last edited by terd ferguson; 11-15-2009 at 02:19 PM.
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: I'm rewiring my '55.2, have a question and will probably have more as I go...

On the factory wiring diagram the Field wire is a 20 ga., the A is 16 ga. Here is a copy for you, this one does not have all the detailed info the factory diagram has. I also have large scanned copy out of the factory assembly manual I can email you, it is way to large to post here. If you want it send me a PM. Sounds like some one has already rewired part of the truck and did not follow the original wire sizes.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
terd ferguson

Re: I'm rewiring my '55.2, have a question and will probably have more as I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
On the factory wiring diagram the Field wire is a 20 ga., the A is 16 ga. Here is a copy for you, this one does not have all the detailed info the factory diagram has. I also have large scanned copy out of the factory assembly manual I can email you, it is way to large to post here. If you want it send me a PM. Sounds like some one has already rewired part of the truck and did not follow the original wire sizes.
You probably forgot, but you already sent me a big version of the diagram. I appreciate it too. It helped me get the truck back running. Things were wired waaaay wrong under the hood. It's surprising it even ran. There was no resistor, no wire going to the starter side terminal and numerous cut and worn wires. And with everything so jacked up, I decided a new harness was definately in order.

I guess my question now is on the generator, which is the A and which is the F? Imagine I'm standing at the front of the truck looking in the engine bay. One generator terminal is on the left and the other is on the right. Sorry if it's a dumb question, it won't be the last.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
terd ferguson

Question #1 was which terminal is "F" and which is "A" on the generator? Standing at the front of the truck, one is on the left and one is on the right.

I figured out the generator. It's marked which terminal is which. It was just covered in grime.

Now for question #2. On the voltage regulator, there are three terminals, top to bottom (vertical). On the instruction sheet, it says wire #3 (red) goes to "B Terminal", wire #11 (brown) goes to "A Terminal", and wire #12 (blue) goes to "F Terminal". Again standing at the front of the truck looking into the engine bay, which is which?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by terd ferguson; 11-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
terd ferguson

I ran into another issue, so I decided to stop for today. I broke of the little bolt on one of the generator terminals. Here's what I've got done so far...

Headlights and park lights
starter and coil
generator (minus broken bolt)
dimmer switch under the hood

I've still got the voltage regulator and relays under the hood and then everything under the dash and the brake lights. I learned some and got even more confused. I'll get back at it tomorrow. I'd like to be able to drive this again soon, lol. But as always, everything I do takes 5 times longer than I think it will. So on that note, I'll be done on Friday.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
OrrieG

Looking at the voltage regulator with the connections on the bottom the left is BAT, center is GEN and right is Field. They should be labeled on the bottom of the cover or on the back of the regulator. Bat goes to the battery, Gen to the A terminal on the Generator and Field to the F terminal on the Generator.

Don't forget to polarize the generator before starting the engine. Connect a jumper from the BAT terminal of the regulator to the A terminal of the generator, it just needs to touch for a second.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote