The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
69GMCor70Chevy

Some Questions I need Answered...

Normally I get all I need by using the search function. But I have 3 questions that I need answered.

First Pic: On the Passenger side of 350 between the Rams Horn and the Donut there is a spacer of some sort that has what looks like a choke coil. I just wanted to know what that was and if I can just take it out as it is loose right now.

Second Pic: My truck is a 69 but the Cab is off of a 70. What is this hole I am pointing to beside the steering colum for?

Third Pic: I have seen a few discussions that referenced the Steering Colum shift Indicator. Saying this I am still not clear on what, if anything, the wire attached to it is for.

The knowledge on this board is huge and I ask these questions realizing it may seem as simple as can be for some as to the answers of these questions but I can assure you that to me they are not...
Attached Images

70 Mercury Marauder - Future Project
69GMCor70Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Smallz72project

Re: Some Questions I need Answered...

If I remember correctly on my 72, the wire in the third pic...is power to illuminate the shift indicator with the lights on so you can see what gear you are in while its dark. Its been along time since I have actually driven old jim, but I had taken the shift indicator off so give the column a cleaner look but remember something about that wire poking out and would lit up when I had the headlights on.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
GASWAGON
AMERICAN IRON ADDICT

The first pic's a choke stove. The spring is bymetal and opens at pre-determined temp. When the engine is cold it should be closed. When the engine is started it causes the exhaust gas to back up and go through the exhaust crossover in the intake heating up the intake charge for better atamazation and to warm the choke spring in the manifold if so equiped. After a few minutes it would open and the exhaust would pass through. If you remove it you will need to plug the hole where the shaft was removed. Or if you plan on replacing the exhaust, remove the whole piece and just use a new donut gasket. Just remember that the pipe will need to be longer to take up the space where the stove was.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Rokcrln

#1 GASWAGON is 100% right on the money!

Two ~ looks like the clutch linkage hole.

And "C" Is the fiber optic line like mentioned above and on your dash cluster one of the light sockets ( on back of cluster) should have a tube that that fiber optic line slides into to get it light.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 11-17-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
leddzepp

The wire is fiber optic and illuminates the indicator when the lights are on.

The first pic looks like that is a heat riser on your exhaust manifold. I would take the whole thing off, cause if it gets stuck it will restrict your exhaust flow (I am assuming that you do not have to take an emissions test anymore...if you do, probably shouldn't remove it))

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

I would definitely take that exhaust choke out. It will only restrict your exhaust flow

I have no idea what that hole in your floorboard would be for. You might just want to cap it.

Rokcrln is correct, the shift indicator has a fiber optic in it and it originally would have connected to the bulb socket on the right side of the speedo but your connector has been broken off.

Last edited by highperf4x4; 11-17-2009 at 12:33 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Picture 2 looks like the clutch rod hole. Auto trucks had a cover/plug that seems to get lost...

Picture 3 the wire is a fiber optic cable, and yours doesn't look broken to me. One of the four lights in the cluster that lights the cluster will have a funky socket that isn't like the others, and may be a different color plastic. That's the one you plug the fiber optic wire into-that brass end will snap into a metal clip attached to the light bulb socket.

Hope that helps!
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Learn something every day... I've never in my life heard of a choke stove -- that's always been called a heat riser! Whatever you call it, the descriptions above are spot on. I once replaced mine (those things aren't cheap, either) and it's now hanging in the shed. Simplify your life and toss it out.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Learn something every day... I've never in my life heard of a choke stove -- that's always been called a heat riser! Whatever you call it, the descriptions above are spot on. I once replaced mine (those things aren't cheap, either) and it's now hanging in the shed. Simplify your life and toss it out.
Yeah a choke stove is an old style carburetor choke that mounts on the intake manifold.

But then a heat riser is a metal cover that mounts on top of the exhaust manifold with a flexible pipe going up to your breather.

I refer to these as exhaust chokes since that's essentially what they are but everyone gets the idea.

Last edited by highperf4x4; 11-17-2009 at 01:12 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
69GMCor70Chevy

Thank you for all of the answers. The "Choke Stove" is just rattling around in the Riser as it is so it has to go. We don't have emissions testing in my neck of the woods.

Can't believe I never thought of the Clutch linkage.....doh.

I didn't see a bulb on the indicator so I didn't know what the wire was for, plus my existing one was broken and the wire was cut so when I picked up the spare I wasn't sure what the wire was for.

Thanks again.
70 Mercury Marauder - Future Project
69GMCor70Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
GASWAGON
AMERICAN IRON ADDICT

Heat riser was what I was thinking of but just could'nt pull it out of my head. I stand corrected on the name but the theory is still correct
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote