The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Myride67c10

Question Adjusting Fuel Mixture

I have a 67 with the original 283 and 2 barrel carb. I put a new exhaust on it a while back and the pipes are turning black. It also smells like it is running on the rich side. I know how to adjust the mixture on holly’s but I have no idea on this 2 barrel I’m not sure what brand it is but I’m sure its original. Any pics or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
jhow66

There are 2 adjustment needles on base of carb. The 1st thing to do is run one all the way close and count the # of turns. set the other needle the same # of turns out. Now each needle is the same. Install vacumn gauge (be sure it is manifold vacumn) and adjust each needle to get the highest vacumn reading. (make sure timing is right before adjusting.) P.S. carb should be a 2 bar. Rochester).
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

Disconnect vacuum advance at distributor and plug vacuum line, start motor with timing light and a RPM gauge attached and set idle and timing to correct settings. Connect vacuum gauge to full unported vacuum at base of carburetor, now shut motor off and turn both idle mixture screws all the way in but be sure that you only use light pressure as you can turn the idle mixture screw past being lightly seated by twisting hard and then you are damaging the idle mixture opening with the needle causing it to flare the opening trashing a good carburetor body so please only lightly seat the needles. now back each out 1 1/2 turns, restart motor and check idle and timing and adjust as necessary to correct settings, now back each needle out slowly a 1/4 turn each alternating between the 2 until you reach the highest vacuum reading, check and adjust idle speed and timing, now repeat step one of backing idle mixture screws out alternating between the 2 a 1/4 turn at a time until you have reached highest vacuum reading again. Continue the process adjusting timing/RPM/idle mixture screws until you have no changes occurring and have reached highest vacuum reading possible. You have now optimized your timing idle mixture adjustments. Reconnect your vacuum advance while disconnecting the RPM gauge, timing light, and vacuum gauge.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Myride67c10

Wow I just thought you truned the mixture screws until it studders a little and then go in a half turn. Thank you guys for all the help and info. I think I might just take it to a shop and get it done seems how I do not have a timming light nore a vacuum gauge. Any idea of what this might runn $$$.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

....be careful....

When you turn those idle are mixture screws in, be careful that you don't bottom them out with too much elbow grease. If you do, and you cause grooves to be cut in the needle end of the screw, you'll have a hard time getting the idle where you want it. I've seen it happen too many times, and it doesn't matter what kind of carburetor it is, or what it is installed on....lawnmower on up.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
Tynee
I miss this truck.

I have the same carb on my 307. When I pull away from a light, my truck stumbles all over itself. I have to let out of the gas, then ease back into it sometimes 2 or 3 times to get away from a stop light or sign. Would the above adjustments fix my problem or is it time for a carb rebuild/ 4bbl upgrade?

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:43 PM   #7
jhow66

Sounds like a carb rebuild--your booster pump in carb sounds like it is worn out. These are easy carbs to fix even if you have not done one before.Kit comes with instructions and exploded views. Try it.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
GMCPaul

You can pick up a vacuum gauge for $10-$12 and a timing light for about $50, then you have the tools to do yours this time and any others later in life, taking it to a shop they will most likely charge a hour minimum even though it won't take that long and most shop rates run $40-$60 a hour.
Tynee you definately sound as though you could use a good timing and accelator pump with a carb rebuild, the accelator pump is most likely causing most of the lag. When rebuilding a quadrajet be sure to epoxy the plugs on the bottom base of carb under the fuel bowl. These begin to leak over a period of time and can reach the point that the bowl will run dry overnight and lead to extended cranking of the starter to get carb primed again to start truck.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #9
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

ok
Old 04-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #10
Blue Beard

GMC Pauls

I think that's the best run down I've seen in a while on proper adjustment.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:36 PM   #11
Mike Culpepper
Red

Would you use the same method for 4 BBL Q-jets?
Mike

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote