The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
independentcustoms

Bagged guys, exhaust?

I'm getting plans and parts together to make some changes to my truck, and I'd like to know if anyone has any underside shots of their exhausts? Basically in the area of the tranny crossmember. I'm switching over to a big block, and I'm assuming shorty headers are the way to go?
independentcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Bagged guys, exhaust?

depends on how low you are plannig to go when I started my truck build I didn't do my home work and happen to have the headers that are on it now ..long..and they drag with cupped LCA..if I had to do it again I would get shorties and run them throw the frme the problem is where to exit them..I have seen all kinds of ways but it seem you have to cut the X memeber near the back of the cab and weld in some pipe and run it threw there.... other options are to go out though the side of the frame ..again cut and pipe welded in..... my exhaust will be the out the side of the frame and then out the side of the bed....its hard to get out over the axle unless you are planning a big step notch

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
independentcustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
depends on how low you are plannig to go when I started my truck build I didn't do my home work and happen to have the headers that are on it now ..long..and they drag with cupped LCA..if I had to do it again I would get shorties and run them throw the frme the problem is where to exit them..I have seen all kinds of ways but it seem you have to cut the X memeber near the back of the cab and weld in some pipe and run it threw there.... other options are to go out though the side of the frame ..again cut and pipe welded in..... my exhaust will be the out the side of the frame and then out the side of the bed....its hard to get out over the axle unless you are planning a big step notch
As of right now, I am not planning to mod my front crossmember, or Z my frame, so the lowest I plan to be is laying crossmember/control arms. Same deal out back I do not plan on step notching it, only a small C, and I'll stick with the stock arms (probably use a lowering block). Last time I was under there it looked real tight as far as the exhaust goes, but I currently have long tube headers. I don't want to go over the axle, dumping out of the bedside is fine.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
nastyc10

I ran shorty headers on my small block with the exhaust tucked up between the frame rails, over the tranny crossmember and dumped the pipes down behind the trailing arm crossmember as far back as I could. There isn't much room for pipes when you are real low with stock trailing arms.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
ace of shades
NEWBIE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentcustoms View Post
I'm getting plans and parts together to make some changes to my truck, and I'd like to know if anyone has any underside shots of their exhausts? Basically in the area of the tranny crossmember. I'm switching over to a big block, and I'm assuming shorty headers are the way to go?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...239896&page=31

When I changed over to a big block Frizzle Fry's build thread on his shorty was basically my bible for the exhaust. Not only did he do all the hard work of research he has got some killer ideas for everything else; that and the thread one hell of a read

I don't like cocaine.. I just like the smell of it

"Well there might be a dime up a goats ass too, but I ain't looken" - Grandpa

VolksRods
ace of shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
independentcustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace of shades View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...239896&page=31

When I changed over to a big block Frizzle Fry's build thread on his shorty was basically my bible for the exhaust. Not only did he do all the hard work of research he has got some killer ideas for everything else; that and the thread one hell of a read
I somehow missed that thread. I noticed you linked to page 30 or so, but I am gonna read the whole thing as it looks very interesting! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
ace of shades
NEWBIE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentcustoms View Post
I somehow missed that thread. I noticed you linked to page 30 or so, but I am gonna read the whole thing as it looks very interesting! Thanks!
If I remember right that is about when he started doing the exhaust. And yes, I would recommend reading the whole thing even to someone that doesn't like cars. I think its just pure badass

I don't like cocaine.. I just like the smell of it

"Well there might be a dime up a goats ass too, but I ain't looken" - Grandpa

VolksRods
ace of shades is offline   Reply With Quote