The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
DT1

Reverse Resto Has this ever happend with you?

It started with just a simple refresher paint job that I planned to barter in exchange for a nice Suzuki DRZ400 on C/L, but after meeting the characters that replied, I decided to sell the bike and use the cash for the paint job. I know a good painter but he’s really proud of his work $$. I figured that if I was going to have that kind of paint, I might as well restore the Cheyenne molding (I posted some pics in an earlier Post). Then, after seeing the restorations on this site, I got to thinking; As well I have the bed off, I might as well paint the frame under it. Now I’ve decided to paint the rest of the frame but the cab will remain on. I don’t really need the truck for anything pressing so I figure when I get it back from the painter, I’ll pull the drivetrain and go through it. Might as well do the suspension and paint the engine compartment too. I purchased Nason brand, two stage paint and Transtar brand clear coat for it but my painter has decided that it’s not his favorite so I’ll let him get the brand he prefers and use the stuff I have for the underside of the hood and firewall.
So, what started out as just a refresher paint job has snowballed into close to a full Resto.
Not surprised. It happens a lot with me.

Last edited by DT1; 01-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

Re: Reverse Resto Has this ever happend with you?

Im in the same boat. I started out with a 72 LWB C10 i bought on CL for 1k. I was just going to get it running and drive the **** outta it. Now we are rebuilding the entire rear half of the frame, airbags, disk brakes, pulling the motor, etc etc etc.

It never ends if your not careful.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
dan42

Yup, kind of a drug, really. Once you get into paint matters you start thinking, what the heck, if it's gonna look nice, it has to run nice...
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Ummm needed a beater to move JUNK, bark mulch, trash....stuff I didn't want to haul in my NICE pick up......well a drop, bags,cupped LCA.C notch..I could go on but I think you get it....did I leave out cab corners 2 floor sections cab mounts..sand,quirt with a gallon of Napa primer paint the wheels and here I am???

Oh yea it still has trash duty and is now pretty much my DD....it just does it with attitude!!
Attached Images

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
DT1

Looks like the one in the background should be your DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Ummm needed a beater to move JUNK, bark mulch, trash....stuff I didn't want to haul in my NICE pick up......well a drop, bags,cupped LCA.C notch..I could go on but I think you get it....did I leave out cab corners 2 floor sections cab mounts..sand,quirt with a gallon of Napa primer paint the wheels and here I am???

Oh yea it still has trash duty and is now pretty much my DD....it just does it with attitude!!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
yote1234

this is my begining of a "good detailing". it turned into a complete body off restore! b elow is before=complete, and after=tore down..
Attached Images

1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
wHATANERD

I started out just wanting to do cab corners and rockers, and upgrade the drive train to a 383 stroker and 700r4. It has turned into a total Frame Off restoration.

Old Chevy's Never Die, They Just Rust Around The Edges
wHATANERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
tonypaul

Im so glad Im not the only one who ends up doing things like this. I to started out with just the "simple" paint job, now everything is apart down to the frame. However its taking me forever to get down to the metal every were. I spent 5 hours on the hood with a angle grinder and a wire disc yesterday and still didnt get done on both sides. Granted the truck has had 4 paint jods right on top of each other, and getting in every little nook and cranny is a aoyal pain. But its gonna be worth it!!!!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
DT1

I also removed the saddle tanks and patched the door holes in the bed.
If anyone wants a set of good saddle tanks/doors/keys, PM me. I don't want any money for them but you would have to pick them up and take them with what remaining gas is in them.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Wish I'd never started.....wish I'd stopped and sold it while it was still in one piece....wish I had the money I've already paid the body/paint guy....wish, wish, wish.....never ends.

Seriously, I am considering selling my body/chassis after the body and paint is completed. No, it won't be a running or driving vehicle. It will be a roller, but that's it. I have some serious money in the body and paint on top of the value of the piece he started with. I don't think I can recoup my money. But, someone with the talent and fortitude could save themselves a lot of dough and have a solid basis for a nice truck. It's a '69 SWB Fleetside, dropped 2.5/4.0, disc brakes from ECE (front) and will have all the trim holes filled, as well as the side marker holes and the stake pocket holes. Oh, the tailgate will have a handle flip kit, too. Oh, it will be black. Right now, it is planned to be flamed ala the Goodmark style on their vehicles.

So, should I do it? What would YOU do?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 01-07-2010 at 03:33 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
DT1

Don't do it!
If you do, you'll be one of those guys that says "I remember when" every time you see a nice one on the road.
Cash comes and goes but these trucks are keepers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Wish I'd never started.....wish I'd stopped and sold it while it was still in one piece....wish I had the money I've already paid the body/paint guy....wish, wish, wish.....never ends.

Seriously, I am considering selling my body/chassis after the body and paint is completed. No, it won't be a running or driving vehicle. It will be a roller, but that's it. I have some serious money in the body and paint on top of the value of the piece he started with. I don't think I can recoup my money. But, someone with the talent and fortitude could save themselves a lot of dough and have a solid basis for a nice truck. It's a '69 SWB Fleetside, dropped 2.5/4.0, disc brakes from ECE (front) and will have all the trim holes filled, as well as the side marker holes and the stake pocket holes. Oh, the tailgate will have a handle flip kit, too. Oh, it will be black. Right now, it is planned to be flamed ala the Goodmark style on their vehicles.

So, should I do it? What would YOU do?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I hear you, but here's my deal. I last drove it over a year ago, and that was just to pull the drivetrain and field-strip the cab. I'm headed for my third prostate biopsy in a year, on Friday morning. I suffered a stroke 3 years ago. I don't have the strength or endurance to wrangle the reassembly after the paint is done. I have a ton of parts....some the stuff that came off of it and some are new. Got new wiring harnesses, door parts, etc. The engine and transmission are sitting in the garage, with the engine hung on a stand.

I'd love it if it was ready to roll in some format that said, "Look at me".

Maybe I'm having a pity party, but that's the nature of the beast of getting older and the high maintenance expenses that are part of the aging process. I'm not without a hobby truck, but I'm thinking this one should belong to someone with some expertise and more money than I have to finish it. I have the money, but priorities have changed. It's an enigma, for sure.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
white 67

Mine all started becuase i was going to replace a fender with a big dent in it. While i was at work my roommate was bored so he took the grill off and it truned into a full resteration from there.
white 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
coloradosean2009

Quote:

I have the money, but priorities have changed. It's an enigma, for sure.
It sounds like you need to pay someone to finish this one out for you. I can imagine that it wouldn't be that hard if you have progressed with the restoration carefully up to this point.

I recommend looking for a talented young person to complete the job for you. That way, the youngster can do all the heavy lifting and crap jobs and you can assume a managerial role.

This all depends on the availability of young energetic workers who you can trust and direct. On second thought, such a person is hard to find anymore.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Quote:
I hear you, but here's my deal. I last drove it over a year ago, and that was just to pull the drivetrain and field-strip the cab. I'm headed for my third prostate biopsy in a year, on Friday morning. I suffered a stroke 3 years ago. I don't have the strength or endurance to wrangle the reassembly after the paint is done. I have a ton of parts....some the stuff that came off of it and some are new. Got new wiring harnesses, door parts, etc. The engine and transmission are sitting in the garage, with the engine hung on a stand.

Maybe I'm having a pity party, but that's the nature of the beast of getting older and the high maintenance expenses that are part of the aging process. I'm not without a hobby truck, but I'm thinking this one should belong to someone with some expertise and more money than I have to finish it. I have the money, but priorities have changed. It's an enigma, for sure.
I'll make you a deal, you fly me up there this summer and give me a place to stay and I'll put it back together with your supervision. I'll be out of class with nothing better to do between semesters at college so it's an open offer! Ya know you want to do it!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #16
420am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post

Nice welds.

Waste my bandwidth and listen to some great tunes >> http://www.radioxenu.com (Live Shows with yours truly every Friday)
420am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
big_al_71

Been there done that,
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
DT1

Beautiful Truck!
I always liked the looks of the black/white.

Is it just my eyes or are the running lights singles on the pass and doubles on driver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Been there done that,
Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
cparman
sharp as a marble

I am sure glad that I am not the only dumb butt on this board. I am capable of taking a 15 minute job, that should cost less than $10.00, and have a weeks worth of work and money in it. It will be nice though!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #20
nibs
JRods Garage

you guys have no idea how hard it is NOT to buy everything and want to put it on my truck sittin out here in Iraqiland. Its killing me waiting. Soooooo many different ideas have come and gone, and im sure there are thousands more ideas to come... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
DT1

Just an update...I just finished the front suspension, engine and transmission. The engine is stock except for an RV cam, some Carb mods, Edelbrock Performer, and slight deck shave. The transmission got a full rebuild with a five clutch pack and B&M shift kit.
It all goes together this weekend.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

The five worst words in any home remodeling, or vehicle rebuild project:

"Well, while we're at it........."
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #23
RCbowtie69

sweet!!
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
cpisani70@aol.com

I have owned my truck for 25yrs When Iwas 18 I worked for a restoration shop so i was able to do a fairly in depth resto Drove it for quite a while then it just sat and sat always outside.Finally my 6yr old nagged me enough to do something with it so stupid me I thought I would just get it running THAT has turned into pulling the motor removing the closed knuckle front end putting i front and rear axles from an 84 upgrading to power brakes and steering along with a ton of other stuff so yes i can see how it can happen
cpisani70@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
Dano69c10

I just wanted to "get my truck painted", but it looks like I'm going to give in to temptation and end up doing a full resto. See my build thread. I really am trying to avoid the full resto since the wife wants the garage back after 3 going on 4 years.

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!

Last edited by Dano69c10; 12-02-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote