The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
MobSled

Question Sagging

Ok this is the deal guys.... The front is lowered with 2inch drop spindles and 1 and half coils cut from oem springs. The rear is shackels which are set at the highest setting which gives me an inch and flipkit. For some reason now my whole truck is sagging a whole inch to the right. Front and rear are lower a whole inch then the left side.

Any advise or input what could cause this?

Last edited by MobSled; 01-23-2010 at 10:46 PM.
MobSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Slmd92DIME

Re: Sagging

I know this sounds funny but check your tire pressure and.... what side is your gas tank on? If its on the right side and you have a lot of fuel in the tank it will lean some.

Petitioning *No Regrets* MD/WV
Slmd92DIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
MobSled

Tire pressure is good, thats the first thing ive checked. I have dual tanks, the side that saggs that tank is on E the other side which sits and inch higher, the tank is full. I forgot to mention 3 leafs have been taken out of the pack.

One of the mechanics in my neighborhood told me it could be a weak leaf thats causing the back to sag which consequently is dragging down the front with it...any truth behing that? Also if it is true, would me reinstalling the leafs fix the problem?

Last edited by MobSled; 01-24-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Check for bent or broken leafs. Measure the extended length of the leaf from side to side. If the spring is sagging it will be effectively longer.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
MobSled

Meassured my leafs, they are the same lenght. No broen or bent leafs either...I`m loosing it hehehe.

One thing I did notice when i bounced the side that sits lower it has a little play, as in the suspension moves up and down. When I bounce the side that sits higher there is no give or take. Its stiff.

If I put all my leafs back on, which is 3 that have been taken out of the pack, will that raise or lower my truck due to the flip kit?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
MobSled

Upon giving this issue a further thought, is it possible that my right side which is the side that "saggs" is the correst ride heights according to my setup and the left side is being pushed up? Because as I mentioned above the left side which is the side that sits an inch higher has no suspension travel whatsoever in the back. Its 100% stiff.

Did do the flip kit but am still running reg shocks without extenders. Any thought rom you suspension wizzards would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
69 longhorn

Have you tryed taking both rear shocks loose on one end(bottom end), & see if that gives a different feel to the suspension(not to drive, but push up /down)? Also, when you swapped the shackles , was the weight on the wheels when you tightened them both up? crazyAL
Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
MobSled

The first time around no the wheels were up in the air then I read about the possibility of preload on the springs and what not so I loosedned all the bolts and nuts, dropped the truck down on the wheels and tightened everything up and still nothing.

I'll take the shocks off today and see what happens. I'm assuming it has to be the driverside rear shock. Its compressed all the way in and won't let the suspension move up or down. Not to mention that side shock sits a little further back which causes the bed to be pushed up consequently making that side sit an inch higher pushing the opposite side of the bed down. Right or wrong fellas.

Like I said I'll take off the shocks today and see if that fixes the problem. I'll keep this thread going until the problem is fixed for future refferences.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Swap the leaf springs from side to side?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
MobSled

That's a whole lotta work brother. If this above mentioned theory doesn't fix my issue I will put the 3 leafs back into each pack and swap them to the opposite sides but I don't think the leafs are weak. I took N2TRUX advise and measured the leafs while the truck was on the ground and they were extended. Came out to the same length on both side.

I'm assuming its the shocks and due to the fact that I'm not running shock extenders. As you guys know one of the shocls on the truck sits before and the other behind the axel. Taking off the shocks will take 5min to figure out if that's my problem. I'll report after the experiment.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
crakarjax

Maybe one of your coils heated up too much when cutting. This can cause sag. Cutting coils actually ruins springs because it changes their compression characteristics, not to mention the detrimental effect of heating them.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
MobSled

Yeah you are 100% correct but when I raise the front with a jack to level it out, the back of the truck does not raise at all it stays in the same position which can only happen if its being pushed down by something or something is not letting it raise. I did do my brakes yesterday, yanked out the front springs put the,m next to each, meassured them and sure enough same length so I'm assuming I can rule out the springs.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
MobSled

Well gentlemen my theory was correct. The left rear shock was pushing the frame up and rear suspension down causing my whole right side to sag an inch. I took care of that by simply installing shock extenders.

For future refferences, take it from my expirience guys by the shock extenders and install them immideately after doing a flip kit on your trucks. It will save you a lot of headaches.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
MobSled

Thanks to everbody that posted all the possibilities on what could've caused my problem. As I mentioned above its a 77 and the left rear shock sits behind the axel while the right shock sits before the axel. My question now is are those 2 shocks supposed to be same lenght or is the shock on the left supposed to be shorter due to its harsher angle of operation? Because the right side is more extended then left.