The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
steveb64

Instrument Panel Gauges and Lights

If you have the instrument panel with the mechanical oil pressure gauge, is there also an idiot light that comes on with low oil pressure? I assume it's either one or the other, and not both on this setup?
I haven't had a chance to trace out the wiring or take a good look at the panel to see if there is an "oil" bulb and colored window.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1265166877
Attached Images

steveb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Re: Instrument Panel Gauges and Lights

In my '63, there is the gauge for mechanical oil pressure plus I plumbed in an idiot light sending unit and ran the wire to one of the two unused red lights in the dash (brake and overspeed). Now I have a gauge to look at as well as a light to get my attention when I am not looking.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

In the gauge cluster you have posted there are only 3 "idiot" lights.

The one that indicates your high beams are on ("brights") and one each to the immediate left & right of the actual guages.

One says "Tandem lock" and the other says "over speed" (or something like this). I assume this is because the same clusters were used in the larger trucks (C-30 & up).

I used one of these for an indicator light for the electric fans and the other for my backup lights. When I turn either on it lights up to remind me they are on and need to be turned off. I suppose if you were creative you could change the wording on the lens to read what you are actually using them for.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

The 4-5-6 Chevy truck factory clusters are either warning lights (electrical) or actual gauges (mechanical)...either, but not both, within the same cluster. All of the clusters have the Tandem Lock and the Over Speed windows, but were only utilized on the medium-duty (Series 40 & 50) and heavy-duty (Series 60 & 80) models. Great idea to use them for low oil pressure and reverse lights.

The left & right windows were also utilized on some models, equipped with a factory tachometer, in the right window, or a AIR gauge or VACUUM gauge in the left window. Although the tach was an option in the light-duty trucks, there are more commonly found in the medium & heavy-duty models.

Last edited by LILRED66; 02-03-2010 at 09:39 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote