The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
4montecarlo

opinions on paint

Hi i will be painting my 84 lb very soon and i need thoughs on color and designs
I plan to use a darker silver color. I like the brilliant silver metallic on the new mustangs, or if someone has suggestion for a different darker silver i should look at i am open.
I cant decide if i should add a pin stripe down the side or do the top part of truck black or a different color. should i just have it all silver?
thoughts?
thanks
matt
4montecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: opinions on paint

Silver paints (especially metalics) is hard to get to lay on a vehicle without it looking funny. The paint is just that---a liquid carrier that has a lot of metalic in it, so if you tend to stop in one spaot too long, then it can build up and create a funny look. I am not tellilng you to use another color, but when you get it painted look for these effects, to make sure that the paint lays smooth on the truck.

Whe you lay a color like silver, you could stripe it or lightly flame it with a blue pearl mixed in the clear coat to get a different effect. It is amazing the effect that a pearl color will give another paint,w hen it is layed over the original color.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: opinions on paint

My advice is to look at some newer cars, and dee what colors you might like. Your paint jobber (or painter, usually) can custom mix any color you might like.