The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
mikep
Used to have a truck

stunned at the junkyard

I went to the junkyard to get a few items today but mainly to see what they have and right there in front of my very eyes was a big block '69 GMC truck. Still had the 396 big block. I dont know about you guys but this is the first time I have EVER seen a big block actually make it all the way to the junkyard. And it had rust free rockers and it had air conditoning. It also had a really nice chrome grill.

Anyway if anyone in the seattle area needs any of that stuff its over at airport auto wrecking in Bremerton/Port Orchard. That makes 25 of our trucks for them. They have hundreds of trucks and not a single 4.56 geared dana 60 though. boo hoo.

Ive still never seen a short bed fleetside or short stepside 67-72 for that matter in the junkyard.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:51 PM   #2
progress
Gotta luv a clean shave

Mike, I think that was the one that they had in the "no trespassing/holding" area before. I was headed to look at it a couple of months ago and the guy reminded me of the sign. Then he said to ask them inside if I was really interested they would be happy to show it to me. Sounds like it made it from the holding area onto the "shelf". I thought there was a short stepside on the upper level in back.

I was over there today for a meeting but no time to go by the yard...I like that place...nice candy store...LOL!
Old 02-09-2003, 12:13 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Wow...I don't think I've ever seen a factory big block truck at all.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:39 AM   #4
mikep
Used to have a truck

Thats a long step up in the upper area. Goofy looking thing too. Its lowered with chrome trucker exhaust stacks . Theyve got a good number of long step 58 chevy's and GMC's out in the general yard as well. I'm not a big fan of the 67-72 long steps but those 58 and 59 long step apaches look more proportionate.

That has got to be one of my favorite junkyards if not the top one of all the junkyards Ive been to. Theres a nice U-pull-it in Damascus Oregon thats a good second on my list for truck stuff but airport auto wrecking in Bremerton has got to have the best truck selection Ive ever seen and the thing I like about the place is NOTHING is neatly arranged or cataloged. Its one of my favorite parts of going to the junkyard. Searching for stuff. Your as likely to find what you need in the bed of an old dodge as you are in the truck you went to look at. Reminds me of the junkyards my dad would take us boys to when I was a kid and we'd walk around looking at old cars for hours and he'd tell us about them and the engineers who designed them and how things worked. Dad never bought anything that I remember.

BTW I counted no less than a dozen posi dana 60's with 4.10 gears, two ten bolt posi truck rears, a 12 bolt posi truck rear ( I'm sure theres mor but I didnt look under too many later model chevies). Thats not counting the fords with Danas either. I didnt climb under too many fords though even though theres a better chance of finding a trac lock dana 60 under one of their 3/4 tons than under a GM product . I'm really looking for a power lock with a 4 series carrier. Dodges or internationals are probably the best bet with internationals possibly having the best shot for a really low gearing set. I dont think internationals were really built to go over 60 miles an hour.

Last edited by mikep; 02-09-2003 at 12:49 AM.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
progress
Gotta luv a clean shave

Alias "stllookn"

Sounds like your dad was a great guy. It was probably just a nice walk down memory lane for him. There is something about a junkyard, tool store, machine shop, or swap meet for a bonafide "gear head" that just makes time stand still and the imagination wander. You just know there is a gold nugget in there somewhere...LOL!

I love that junkyard too...especially when the guy says "Have a nice day" when you come to the counter with a small part that he does not want to mess with. Makes you want to drop off a case a beer for them at Christmas time!!! I just wish they were closer to me.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:51 AM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

He still is a great guy. Think I'll get him up here next week and get him to take a trip through the boneyard.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
progress
Gotta luv a clean shave

Make sure you tell how much you enjoyed those trips as a kid...I am sure he will appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
casey

You should buy the hole truck mikep
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
mikep
Used to have a truck

If I brought home another one my wife would murder me. Ive got a 57 panel in storage right now thats next on the agenda. I brought home a 68 big block truck 9 months ago and have managed to change just about everything. She wouldnt have the patience for another one. I know when to quit ;-) ...sometimes.

Mike