The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
71GMCer

New intake mani and Carb.

Hey all,

I keep hearing how bad Edelbrock carbs are so im kinda curious as to what you all recomend?

I just have a stock mani and carb on and i was thinking of putting a Edelbrock Torker or Performer Intake with a 600-650cfm Carb on.

I want some good low end torque so i can really screech the tires when im leavin a light so what would you guys recommend?

Matt
71GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: New intake mani and Carb.

I have had them all and I much, much prefer Edelbrock carburetors or the AFB carbs they are copies of.

A 1406 Edelbrock carb on a Performer intake is a great combination.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
cdowns

i believe the main problem is a failure to diagnose a problem correctly and they feel for some reason a need to fiddle and faddle with a carb making everything worse and never addressing the real problem

then theres a whole bunch of guys that flatout dont read the great instructions that come with the carb and fail from day one to set it up for proper operation

every one i've had has worked great pretty much trouble free for quite a few thousand miles
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

I got a old one rebuilt it (500cfm). After I got it tuned alright no problems! Id buy another.

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have been running the Carter AFBs and the Edelbrock carbs for years. I agree, the whole issue with them is just being able to understand how they can be adjusted.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I put a Performer EPS intake and a 1406 on my 350. Runs great and picked up a couple of mpg.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
barryvanhook

It's often a mistake to generalize, but having said that, are you sure you want a Torker? I thought I remembered they were single plane manifolds. Given your search for maximum low-end torque, a single plane might not be the best answer to do what you want it to do.

Barry
Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
beebster

Location: Aurora,Il ..born,raised and still live in the same house

After hearing everyone call q jets "quadrajunk" i finally learned how to rebuild one.
And brother, a well tuned q jet is nothing short of beautiful. Good, dependable carburator when it's tuned right. I wouldn't use anything else.
As long as everyone continues to think q jets are crap, i'll have a steady supply of rebuildable carbs for 20 bucks a pop.
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
beebster

Location: Aurora,Il ..born,raised and still live in the same house

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebster View Post
After hearing everyone call q jets "quadrajunk" i finally learned how to rebuild one.
And brother, a well tuned q jet is nothing short of beautiful. Good, dependable carburator when it's tuned right. I wouldn't use anything else.
As long as everyone continues to think q jets are crap, i'll have a steady supply of rebuildable carbs for 20 bucks a pop.
oh yea, and an Edelbrock performer intake.
i still believe that edelbrock makes the best intake
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have used almost all brands of carbs on a number of engine combos. I hate the AFB knockoff Edelbrock carbs. But... that's me.

Holley or nothin' for me.

I also agree on the comment made earlier that a Torker manifold being a single plane will put you out of the low RPM range you might want.

A plain ol' Edlebrock Performer manifold will do just fine.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
LMN8UR

I put over 150K miles on my Edelbrock 600, with no maintenance but minor tuning. That with the Performer intake worked great.
TKO-500 & 3.08:1 rear

I Love HEMI's, they're soft & chewy!
LMN8UR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
68Stepbed

I run an Edelbrock Performer EPS intake with a Holley 570 Street Avenger carb. I love it. My holley has been trouble free for many years without having to adjust on it.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Hey I know.....let's start a Holley/Edelbrock/Q-jet debate!!!! LOL
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
fdbdw

I would be willing to bet that most of the problems people have with any brand carb is not nowing how to properly tune them and dirty fuel. 40 year old tanks, fuel pick ups and fuel lines, microsopic dirt can easily make it through filters and rack your brain with issues so while your at it , get those things cleaned up. If you go Edelbrock , realize that fuel pressure is a biggie, you will either need a low presure pump or a fuel pressure regualator. If you have over 6 psi, it will never run right and you will leak fuel all over your new manifold. And if your considering the 600 performer or the 650 AVS, I would go with the 600. IMO the AVS is not worth the extra money.

Last edited by fdbdw; 04-26-2010 at 10:27 AM.
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbdw View Post
I would be willing to bet that most of the problems people have with any brand carb is not nowing how to properly tune them and dirty fuel.
I will digress here a little. I can tune a carb just fine, and have found that for street applications... the AFB knockoff Edelbrocks are decent carbs.

But when you want to make serious horsepower for a street/strip application or a full on drag rig... a Holley or "Holley Style" (BG Demon, Quickfuel, Proform) carb is the way to go.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that most of the problems people have with any brand carb is not nowing how to properly tune them and dirty fuel. 40 year old tanks, fuel pick ups and fuel lines, microsopic dirt can easily make it through filters and rack your brain with issues so while your at it , get those things cleaned up. If you go Edelbrock , realize that fuel pressure is a biggie, you will either need a low presure pump or a fuel pressure regualator. If you have over 6 psi, it will never run right and you will leak fuel all over your new manifold. And if your considering the 600 performer or the 650 AVS, I would go with the 600. IMO the AVS is not worth the extra money.
I moved on to the AVS carb for the extra flow capability, to me it was a worthwhile change.

Last edited by piecesparts; 04-27-2010 at 07:45 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
gonzo6869
Cops, ha, catch me if you can!

I have to say go with Edelbrock, I have the standard 1406 with a intake mani. and got no problems other then dirt finding its way into the carb. from my old tank and thats after going through TWO fuel filters. I don't have to worry about that any more, I installed a new tank three weeks ago and should be problem free for a while. Also, Edelbrocks are easy to work on, all you'll need is T-15 and a T-25 and you can tear it apart.
Edelbrock intake and Carb
Hooker Comp Headers
275/60R15 on Rallies

gonzo6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #18
fdbdw

My point is edels, quads and holley are all decent carbs. But when people make a hard stance against one its usualy because of wrong tunnin or dirty fuel system, I would also throw wrong app in there. I was basicly reffering to the comment about bad things being sais about edelbrocks. I think an EPS performer manifold and 1406 carb would be fine. I also agree that holley for more seat of the pants power and vac secondaries work well with the weight of our trucks, and edelbrocks are a solid streetable set it and forget it carb
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 AM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
My point is edels, quads and holley are all decent carbs. But when people make a hard stance against one its usualy because of wrong tunnin or dirty fuel system, I would also throw wrong app in there. I was basicly reffering to the comment about bad things being sais about edelbrocks. I think an EPS performer manifold and 1406 carb would be fine. I also agree that holley for more seat of the pants power and vac secondaries work well with the weight of our trucks, and edelbrocks are a solid streetable set it and forget it carb
I had a 1979 GMC 3/4 ton with a 355 sbc. Edelbrock EPS intake, and a 600cfm Carter AFB (not Edelbrock knockoff). Ran like a top. Great low end, and had some snot to boot when I hit the gas to pass...

So I do agree with the streetability of AFB style carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GMCer View Post
So a 600cfm edelbrock carb with a performer mani and new fuel filters should get the wheels screechin on my truck?
Yes, there is nothing wrong with that combo...

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GASoline71; 04-27-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
71GMCer

So a 600cfm edelbrock carb with a performer mani and new fuel filters should get the wheels screechin on my truck?
71GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would recomend the performer RPM intake, the performer is actually a rather old outdated design.

Why is the edelbrock performer carb being called a knock off?
They bought the rights to the carb, and they went into production, with a carb that is 99% the same as the ones that predate edelbroks ownership. I have personally built a carb with a carter base, edelbrock top, and most of the guts were edelbrock. That was 10 years ago, but if memory serves, the acc pump was updated, and a couple linkages.... that was it for updates besides small hardware changes.
AFB actually stands for aluminium four barrel... its not a brand or anything.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Why is the edelbrock performer carb being called a knock off?
They bought the rights to the carb, and they went into production, with a carb that is 99% the same as the ones that predate edelbroks ownership. I have personally built a carb with a carter base, edelbrock top, and most of the guts were edelbrock. That was 10 years ago, but if memory serves, the acc pump was updated, and a couple linkages.... that was it for updates besides small hardware changes.
AFB actually stands for aluminium four barrel... its not a brand or anything.
I get that. That was me calling it a knockoff...

Apples to Oranges... same carb... I personally don't care for them. Again... personal preference, and has nothing to do with my tuning prowess...

I've used them... not my bag.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
crakarjax

Yep, I just rebuilt a Carter AFB with an edelbrock rebuild kit. I noticed NO differences whatsoever, and I have rebuilt edelbrocks a few times. I believe Weber manufactures both, and Weber is actually stamped on both. Basically, Edelbrock seems to have simply bought the rights to badge the Weber carbs as theirs.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #24
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Yep, I just rebuilt a Carter AFB with an edelbrock rebuild kit. I noticed NO differences whatsoever, and I have rebuilt edelbrocks a few times. I believe Weber manufactures both, and Weber is actually stamped on both. Basically, Edelbrock seems to have simply bought the rights to badge the Weber carbs as theirs.
Exactly. There are even a few out there that were sold as Weber. There was a time when I was a salesman at Super Shops back in the late 80 we could get that same carb out of the Weber, Carter or Edelbrock catalog. We stocked it in store from Carter and Edelbrock.

To the OP,
Q-jet, AFB, Holley. All are great carbs. It's all a matter of personal preference. I have had great success with all of them. As has already been said, it usually a lack of tuning knowledge or other issue when someone talks bad about one or the other. Carbs wear out. Specifically, the throttle plate around the shaft. A lot of people buy an old worn out carb and can never get it tuned because it's worn out. From then on they always say "Those XXX carbs are junk".

Definitely Performer RPM over a Torker II intake for what you want.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 04-27-2010 at 11:35 AM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #25
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

Longhorn, would you be loosing any torque or MPG by choosing an RPM intake over the performer intake?
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote