The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
misternash2

anti-theft tactics

what are some things you guys are doing to deter theives? i read about the guy that had his truck stolen and i had my truck broken into. fortunately for me they popped the lock instead of breaking the window, but still. anybody got any great strokes of genius on this subject?
misternash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: anti-theft tactics

imobilizer a hidden switch a wire form fuel pump, ECM or Distributer
Car Alarm system that when the alarm is set off by breaking glass metal being hit or something with a masive loud speeker so the whole naborhood will wake up.

Line lock thats activated when the alarm goes off

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
cableguy0

Most vehicles that are stolen now are stolen with a tow truck. driving cars away is a thing of the past aside from joy riders. The best thing to do is park it in a garage. alarms are pointless nobody pays attention to them. most people never hear them from inside there house. lojack is probably the best option so when it does get taken that theres a good chance of recovery. If somebody wants it bad enough... it will be gone.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Cervantes

I've seen/heard some good ideas, such as splicing off the ignition wire way back at the engine to a rocker switch hidden in the glovebox or under the seat or something... switch it to off and it kills the ignition all the way down the tree. Kinda hard to steal a truck when you can't get it going or hotwire it.

Or, you could lowjack it. They have kits now you can hook up to a pay-as-you-go cell phone that you basically just leave in the truck and plugged in all the time (and hidden). Doesn't stop it from being stolen, but you get the joy of leading the cops right to that little *@$^&'s front door. Not too expensive, all told, too.

To stop breakins, there's a product you can get, it's a clear film that's sticky one side, you put it on almost like tint, and it stops your windows from shattering when they're smashed. Do your sides and backs and nobody is getting in there without a loooooot of effort.

A friend of mine had trouble back in Saskatchewan with breakins on his truck, and he used to be into expensive stereos, so he rigged up a custom job, electric switches hooked up to an old remote car starter. When he triggered it, a motor would move a solid metal bar all the way from his box, through the middle of his doors. Kinda hard to open a door when there's a 3/4" steel rod through it and both sides of the frame. Only downside was he had a slow motor, said it took forever to move that bar 6 feet. He said it worked great until one day he accidentally set it off with the doors not closed right. Slow strong motor and 3/4inch steel bar, versus pretty flimsy door.... it didn't end well.

Short of taking the battery into the house with you every night, those'd be my suggestions. I'm looking for ideas myself, as I've had 2 cars stolen, and a few more breakins, over the 6 years I've been driving.
(yeah, I started late )
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Quick disconnect on the steering wheel courtesy of GRANT WHEELS, and an alarm thats hooked up to my 156db train horns.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
wedgemon

My 73 Blazer wont start unless the tilt wheel is down. No engineering or science here, just a 37 year old truck.

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgemon View Post
My 73 Blazer wont start unless the tilt wheel is down. No engineering or science here, just a 37 year old truck.
hahahahahaha
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
xs-style

Im not a smoker, so plans for me are to put a kill switch behind the cig lighter.
1981 k20 4x4 - 5.3 swap in progress

Events attended:
Spring GOG 2011
Dale JR car show Summer 2012
Gathering at Tommys pickup parts
xs-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
harnalien
TruckincrazY

I've removed fuses before.
harnalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
donut

JMO, if someone wants it bad enough, it's gone. I've got a toggle switch hooked up to the HEI power wire, shut that down and there is no ignition.
Of course I'm in an area that I don't have to take the keys out of the ignition.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
3r!c84
Badass

you guys are thinking to hard about this. nobody will touch your ride with one of theses
Attached Images

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
BIG V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
you guys are thinking to hard about this. nobody will touch your ride with one of theses
it takes about 45 seconds to cut thru a steering wheel , next time your at pick and pull try it
BIG V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
BIG V

its funny this post is on here i got broke in to sunday night. they only stole my cd's, left the i phone and wallet on the dash. i figured it was a few kids from the neighborhood so when i locked up monday night i took a old electric fence charge box with the name BULLDOZER on the side of it and wired the hot lead to my front bumper, i have to almost touch the garage door so its not blocking the sidewalk, disconnected the battery , and plugged it in. about a 45 minutes after i turned it on the front sprinklers came on and watered down the driveway... about 30 minutes after that i heard the scream, i ran outside as fast as i could all that i saw is two flip flops and a bicycle. it was the kid from down the street. i haven't got my cd's back but his father said i could keep the bike till the cd's show up. his dad sat and chuckled with me for almost a hour
BIG V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
bigdnew
Never Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG V View Post
i heard the scream, i ran outside as fast as i could all that i saw is two flip flops and a bicycle. it was the kid from down the street. i haven't got my cd's back but his father said i could keep the bike till the cd's show up. his dad sat and chuckled with me for almost a hour
lmao, i needed a good laugh this morning.

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
Edgel82c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG V View Post
its funny this post is on here i got broke in to sunday night. they only stole my cd's, left the i phone and wallet on the dash. i figured it was a few kids from the neighborhood so when i locked up monday night i took a old electric fence charge box with the name BULLDOZER on the side of it and wired the hot lead to my front bumper, i have to almost touch the garage door so its not blocking the sidewalk, disconnected the battery , and plugged it in. about a 45 minutes after i turned it on the front sprinklers came on and watered down the driveway... about 30 minutes after that i heard the scream, i ran outside as fast as i could all that i saw is two flip flops and a bicycle. it was the kid from down the street. i haven't got my cd's back but his father said i could keep the bike till the cd's show up. his dad sat and chuckled with me for almost a hour

I have tears on my keyboard from laughing at this!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had my own experiences with "The Bulldozer"
I used to have horses and have been knocked down by it.
Edgel82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
bigdnew
Never Satisfied

put a snake in it like the hummer in gone in sixty seconds.

'86 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390566
bigdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Edgel82c10

I have 2 of these and have never had nothing stolen,males 250lbs and female is 180lbs.
Edgel82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
sparkydog

The good news about thieves is they aren't normally very smart or sophisticated (in spite of what we see in "Gone in 60 Seconds").

The bad news about anti-theft devices is thieves aren't very smart.

What I mean is that when your average crack smoking idiot thief tries to steal a car they "just do it" and try. They don't stop to think or notice fancy stuff like anti-theft stickers or lo-jack decals or flashing lights on your dash.

They will go ahead and break your window or pry open your door. You are going to be out that stuff no matter what. The most important thing is what happens next after they try the easy stuff. When the car stops being an easy rip off they usually give up. IMO the best thing you can do is make it real hard to hotwire and as hard as possible to tow it off. A battery cutout switch and a physical barrier (or pitbull) to prevent a tow truck from hooking up are going to solve 99% of your issues.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #19
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I love the anti-theft sticker.

I gave up on car alarms a while ago, there are just too many that all sound the same and no one really pays much attention to them. Kill switches are good for keeping the joy-riders at bay (and I've used them time and again), and that quick disconnect steering wheel is good too. When in public, park in well lit (preferably equiped with video surveilance), and commonly used lots. And at home if possible, use a garage and cover the windows so would-be crooks can't see inside. Keep personal belongings and aftermarket equipment out of plain sight when parked. And of course the obvious; roll your windows up and lock the doors, don't leave keys in the truck, and for the love of hell don't use hide-a-keys. I also have a couple big dogs that love to bark when things don't seem right to them. Nothing is really fool-proof though, and if someone really wants your rig they will get it.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #20
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgel82c10 View Post
I have 2 of these and have never had nothing stolen,males 250lbs and female is 180lbs.
Awesome!! I was just going to say a pitbull and a bullmastiff work really well, I can even leave my garage door open overnight, front door unlocked all day, it would be pretty funny to see what would happen without me around to keep them level
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
pvkj454

Here is what I am considering: http://www.rmtracking.com/gpsproduct...rt_tracker.php

That unit along with a full feature security system, The Club, brake pedal to steering wheel lock, and the front wheels cut all the way to one side.

This won't completely eliminate the chance of theft but maybe they will move on to another vehicle.

I used a fence charger many years ago to stop the neighbors dogs from urinating on my wheels. They were doing it almost daily before being zapped.

Last edited by pvkj454; 08-01-2010 at 10:38 AM.
pvkj454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #22
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnew View Post
put a snake in it like the hummer in gone in sixty seconds.
Hell ya man that would be awsome Yea I always lock my trucks and my garage up. I got a big rottie that sounds mean as all get out which helps as well. I also got a nice louie slugger bat laying in my bedroom as well rather use that then a gun unless it comes down too it
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #23
Chevy623

If they want your car bad enough, and have 30 mins or so, the club won't work.

when i was 16, my dad gave me his '95 Silverado. I took it home with me to my mother's house where i lived, and she put the club on it to stop me from leaving the house without holding her hand. After 3 days or so i had enough, and i took a hacksaw to it and had it in 2 pieces in about a half an hour. I had to buy her a new one, but lesson learned...i got to grow up without her up my butt all the time.

Chevy623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #24
Rogue_Sentinel

this will work

"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S THompson
Rogue_Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #25
cableguy0

Im gonna type this so take it as you will. The club is an absolute joke. Less than 10 seconds and a 3lb hammer and its off the steering wheel with no damage to the car. I dont care how many guns,dogs or bats you have. Chances are you sleep a lot heavier than you think you do. I cause dogs to bark and alarms to go off every night backing the tow truck into driveways. You can think or wish your going to stop someone all you want. Anyone that knows what they are doing in a tow truck will be driving out of your driveway in less than 30 seconds from the time they get to the house with your vehicle on the hook. Im often amazed at the amount of noise I can get away with making and never see a person or even a light come on. Not every situation is ideal and some talk longer than you want to be there but for the most part. People are waking up in the morning and dont know the car is gone until they walk outside. Not trying to P!ss in anyones cheerios just talking from a different point of view than most ever get to see.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote