The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
70monte

Would you buy this truck?

Hi, this is my first post. I have always wanted a 69-72 chevy truck. I've looked at a lot of them lately but they have all been very rusty and would be more work than I want to deal with.

Recently a truck came up for sale locally that does not have a title, only a bill of sale. Normally I wouldn't even mess with a vehicle with no title but this truck is one of the most rust free I've seen that has not been restored.

The truck is a 72 camper special with a factory 402/auto combo and air cab with all the AC stuff intact. The truck is all original and nothing looks like it has been hacked up. It still has the original AM radio and air breather assembly. Truck has what looks like an original smog pump assembly and the glove box door tag says something about California on it. Supposedly the engine and tranny were rebuilt about 12,000 miles ago.

The truck has virtually no rust on the cab or bed. The passenger side cab corner and rocker panel have one small hole each and nothing on the driver's side. The underside of the truck is very clean with no surface rust. Cab supports are not rusty at all and look original as well as the floor boards. The only rust through on the bed is two small places on the metal floor by the tailgate on each side of the floor. No rust on the bed sides or tailgate and the underside looks clean as well. The underneath of the doors have surface rust but no rust through.

The guy is asking $1,600 for it. He bought it off of a friend who needed money but never gave him the title but gave him a bill of sale. He is selling the truck with a bill of sale and selling the truck "for parts only" He has had the truck for over four years and the truck has a license plate still on it from 2004. He has lost contact with this guy and does not know how to contact him.

So have any of you guys bought a truck with no title and was able to get a title for it by using one of those online title companies or is there anything else you would suggest. I really don't want to buy a truck I can't get a title for and this truck is really too nice and original to part out so I'm not sure if I should mess with it or not. Thanks.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: Would you buy this truck?

Not sure how it works back there, but in Ca it wouldn't be that hard to title it. I would get the info from the guy then go to Dmv and ask them what it would take to get it legal. They would probably want both of the bills of sale and a statement of facts/odometer reading. I just went through this with my tahoe, but it was the registered owner I bought it from with no title. I imagine it gets a little harder with a third person involved. Bottom line talk to dmv and if they say it's okay jump on it!
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Sorry just noticed that you are a new user so, from Norcal! Oh, and some people get offended when you call them "camper specials", 67-72 gm's are custom campers. 73+ gm and some 67-72ish fords were camper specials. Don't worry, I've owned my 68 gmc custom camper for the last 12 years and it's been in my family longer than I have and I called it a camper special until last month .
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 05-17-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
70monte

Thanks for the reply. The truck was last tagged in OK and we live in MO so I'm not sure how that works. I did go to OK's DMV website and they had a FAQ section that asked if you could register a vehicle with just a bill of sale and it said no so I'm assuming I would have to find the last registered owner if I want to a copy of the last title. I haven't talked to the MO DMV yet. I still need to go hear it run and talk to the owner some more and decide if I still want to potentially buy it.

One of the title company websites that I went to make it look simple to get another title but whether that is true, I don't know.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Wayne
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Thanks for the reply. The truck was last tagged in OK and we live in MO so I'm not sure how that works. I did go to OK's DMV website and they had a FAQ section that asked if you could register a vehicle with just a bill of sale and it said no so I'm assuming I would have to find the last registered owner if I want to a copy of the last title. I haven't talked to the MO DMV yet. I still need to go hear it run and talk to the owner some more and decide if I still want to potentially buy it.

One of the title company websites that I went to make it look simple to get another title but whether that is true, I don't know.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Wayne

Well that makes it a little tougher having to deal with separate states. I think I'd talk to the title people and see what they think. I've never had an issue like that before. I think with the circumstances the price needs to be lower too. Best of luck to you, hope it all turns out well. Oh and when you look at it or get it throw some pics of it on here!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

With no title that's a bit steep. The only way to title in is to put a lien on the truck against storage fees and the lien company will find the last registered owner and notify them that they need to pay storage fees or the truck will be sold. Then you can take the lien papers to the DMV and title it.
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

sounds like a truck you should at least try to work for!!! hope ya get it!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Can't you just apply for a lost title?

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
70cst

I agree...do some homework and see what is needed to get a new title. Sounds like a decent truck for the money. Good luck!!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
c10seconds

I had to get a title for my 67 that i have had possesion of for the past 15 years. It requires a little bit of leg work but is worth it. Atleast for me anyways. It cost me around $250.00 to get the title when it was all said and done. Youll have to apply for an abandoned or bonded title. The price of the truck w/out a title does seem a little high though
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10seconds View Post
I had to get a title for my 67 that i have had possesion of for the past 15 years. It requires a little bit of leg work but is worth it. Atleast for me anyways. It cost me around $250.00 to get the title when it was all said and done. Youll have to apply for an abandoned or bonded title. The price of the truck w/out a title does seem a little high though
That is pretty much the deal in most states.

I think that this is what you need. At least it would work. Actually the guy who has the truck now could/should do it.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000193.HTM
But then he might want more for the truck.

I think the main thing is sending the certified letter to the last known owner and go from there. It would help if there was an old registration slip in the truck. Then you go from there.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #12
my1st69

I bought a corvette from cali about 2 years ago no title just a bill of sale . about the fourth tim ecalling a woman from the DMV told me to file for a lost title to new owner and "take ocare of the sig need from the other end "
did it 3 weekd later JACKPOT hope this helps
my1st69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
70monte

Thanks for the replies. I can't file for a lost title because I'm not the last registered owner. The current owner doesn't want to mess with the truck anymore so I doubt he will go through the process to get a legit title for it and then I'm sure he will want more for it if he did. I don't want to pay what he is asking with no title and he didn't sound like he would come down on price but he might change his mind the longer he has it. I'll try to get some pics.

Wayne
Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
mdwilf

Sounds like it's in good shape for a MO truck, well worth the asking price if it wasn't for the title mess.

First, you need to find a discrete way to verify it's not stolen - find a cop friend or I can refer you to a PI friend in your town who might do it for you.

At swap meets, I've seen tags & titles for sale "for novelty" & I've wondered folks are using those to take care of situations like this.

If it's not hot, I'd make him an offer while reminding him how much grief it's going to be to get a title & then find a way to make it happen.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Thanks for the replies. I can't file for a lost title because I'm not the last registered owner. The current owner doesn't want to mess with the truck anymore so I doubt he will go through the process to get a legit title for it and then I'm sure he will want more for it if he did. I don't want to pay what he is asking with no title and he didn't sound like he would come down on price but he might change his mind the longer he has it. I'll try to get some pics.

Wayne
Welcome to the board from WA, I'll be back home in MO next year. Not far from you either. I would take your own advice there and wait. If he needs the money, he'll come down on the price/fix the title issue himself. Is it actually registered to him? If its still in the other guys name that may make it another issue too. Getting a lost title from MO is easy though. Just a notarized form and $12 will get you a new title. First thing, you need to verify its not stolen though. Later on, you could lose it after all of this if it turns out to be hot. Good luck!
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
gkesseru

Can you find a totally rusted 72 with a good title in your own state and "combine parts" to come up with a legal vehicle?
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Shyguy

I would buy it, but I would try to talk the guy that has it down a little to cover any expense it would take to get it titled.

I am sure it can be done.

Trucks like that in this area are going for twice that price if it is in good running condition.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
kianasibes

I would buy it, and since I live in New Hampshire I don't need a title. My dad had a motorcycle with no title and he needed one for MA, I just registered it in NH and with a certified copy of the registration he could get a title in MA.
kianasibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
70monte

The current owner says the truck is not stolen and is selling the truck with a bill of sale so I doubt he would do that for a stolen truck. He is not currently the registered owner of the truck. His friend still is. I guess his friend got into some trouble and ended up going to jail and is how he got the truck. He has since lost track of the guy.

I'm on vacation starting today after work, so I will have more time to talk to the current owner and look at the truck a little better and hear it run. Thanks guys.

Wayne
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #21
WyoGMC

Um yeah If I was selling a stolen truck I would not tell a potential buyer it was hot. I would find out from a more legit source.

Like what was previously posted, have the current owner get the title and you would be willing to cover the added expense for getting the title.
WyoGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoGMC View Post
Um yeah If I was selling a stolen truck I would not tell a potential buyer it was hot. I would find out from a more legit source.
I would think though if he was putting his name on the bill of sale, if it came back stolen he would be liable.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
leddzepp

no title = parts truck.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #24
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
no title = parts truck.
That was helpful... Why post when you have nothing to offer?

To the PO, you may want to find the web sites for the OK, and MO DMVs and start digging for info. Its up to the state how a title is reissued so opinions from anyone with experience in another state are meaningless.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I know in Kansas you can go through the legal system and get one, cost atleast $250 to get it done, Wish you luck.
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote