The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
kxnomore

can you replace the entire dash???

Hey guys,
I've picked up a fairly decent 1972 Cheyenne Super 4X4, but the dash was all hacked up to install a Wal Mart radio...

So I have a perfect dash in a spare cab I've been using for small parts and I was wondering if this can be swapped out without welding, cutting, etc? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images

kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: can you replace the entire dash???

welding is required// you take out windshield then the front of dash is held in place by spotwelds that need io b drilled out ,then theres 2screws on each side of the face of the dash and then it slides out
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
1949gmc

In short, the dash cannot be changed out without drilling/cutting/welding. The entire metal part of the dash, front and top, are attached to the truck by three bolts on each side and numerous spot welds under the windshield rubber. To change out the whole dash, the windshield would have to be pulled and the spot welds drilled out.

The easiest way to fix that hacked up radio hole would be to buy a center dash section from someone on the parts board, cut your center section out and graft in the new one- this still requires welding, though, but is the option with the least amount of welding.

Name:  P1014386.JPG
Views: 2815
Size:  80.3 KB
borrowed from teeitup
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
mclairmo

It's not hard to do if you weld behind the dash cluster and glove box door where the welds will be hidden. You're only talking a few tacks with your 110V Mig, some bondo and you're done. The fitting and cutting is the the only part that needs to be precise and perfect. I have another center section as pictured above and plan to do this to fix my hacked up radio opening. I'm also going to shave the a/c vent, heater controls, ashtray and add an accessory receptacle to replace the cigar lighter.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
pritch

I've heard of just cutting the bottom half off along the cutouts that are under the dash cover. Advantage: you don't have to be all that good of a welder to do it. Disadvantage: there is usually alot of rust at the bottom of the windshield that don't get replaced this way.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote