The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
rdlawson

Shifter issues

I'm having some trouble installing a shifter on my 65' C-10. A conversion to a floor shifter had been made at some point, but the shifter was extremely sloppy/worn needed to be replaced.
When I went to replace the shifter/mounting hardware I found that HURST doesn't make the installation kit for the Chevrolet 341 (4-bolt side cover) transmission anymore. The column shift levers are still in place, but the first/reverse gear shift lever(the one on the top of the column, not attached to the shift rod) is missing on the column for some reason.
I'm wondering if any body has any insight into which would be the easiest route to take in getting a shifter installed. I don't have a preference on whether the shifter is on the column or on the floor. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where i can find either the installation kit (3673111) or a 1st/reverse gear shift lever on the column.

Thanks in advance,

Reese.
rdlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
raycow

Re: Shifter issues

Would you consider something like this,
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...-SPEED-SHIFTER
or has Hurst told you it won't work on a truck? The car and truck 3 speeds are almost identical, but the critical issue would be where the stick comes through the floor, relative to the seat.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
raycow

If the only thing you need is the one column arm, you can probably get it. People scrap stock columns all the time when they modify their trucks.

You might want to find out who gets this truck and maybe work out some kind of deal with him for parts.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408058

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
rdlawson

I'd appreciate some pictures, yes geezer#99. Did your shifter come with mounting hardware?
The issue is that Hurst doesn't make the installation kit for my particular transmission/shifter combination anymore, from what I understand. That's what stemmed my search for options.
On another note, where is the best place to by a scrapped column? I could track down who gets that truck, raycow, but that's not a sure bet by any means.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
geezer#99

I used a Mr. Gasket shifter in my 67 gmc. Part #7667A. Works great. Has an 18" tall shifter so it clears the bench seat. I have some pics of it installed if you would like.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
geezer#99

Yup the shifter #7667A came with all the parts. They also have a #7667 shifter but it has a short shifter handle. Mine had an 18" tall shifter that cleared the bench seat perfectly. Bought it on ebay. No pics of shifter inside cab though but I could get some if you need.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
rdlawson

I appreciate the help. If it came with those shift rods and mounting bracket, I could probably fabricate a way for the hurst shifter to work.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
geezer#99

You could modify it. But why. In your op you said yours was warn out and sloppy. Sounds like you want a new one. These Mr. G and Hurst Indy shifters will get sloppy over time also but that can be fixed. What do you have for a shifter now. Maybe some pics of your shifter and the end of your steering column would help us too.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
rdlawson

I have a new Hurst shifter; it's a 3 speed mastershift truck shifter(pn #3666809). The installation kit for my particular transmission is the part I do not have/cannot find (i.e. mounting bracket, rods, etc...).
When I said fabrication it was in reference to mounting the hurst shifter on the bracket and rods that the mr. gasket kit came with. The other option is to sell the hurst shifter and just use the mr. gasket kit as is.
I can take pictures of the column when i'm home.

Reese

Last edited by rdlawson; 06-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
geezer#99

Here's a shifter of ebay. Cheap either way you go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mr-Ga...ehicleQ5fParts
Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
rdlawson

I just checked one out at a local O'rielly, did you bend the 1st/reverse shift rod yourself?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
geezer#99

Bent it myself. Many trips from under the truck flat on my back and out to the vise. LOL!!
Took a while. I think on your 65 it might not take as much bending. I had to bend mine more to get around the speedo cable which was not in the original position due to my speedo ratio adaptor.
The hurst is a better shifter so I can see why you would like to use it.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
rdlawson

It looks like my situation is pretty similiar to yours; I believe my cable is in the same place. You used a vice and a hammer I suppose, or are they soft enough to bend by hand?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
geezer#99

Yup the old vise and hammer trick and many trips under the truck.