The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Proper Repair Harness for HVAC control fan

AC/Delco shows one repair harness for my 83 C20 HVAC fan switch. However, there are two replacement fan switches shown for this application. Does the one repair harness fit both switches? One switch has 4 pins (called manual A/C), and the other switch has 5 pins (called with bi-level, and I do have bi-level on the control), although one pin looks slightly recessed from the others in the switch. The repair harness does not list the 5 pin (bi level style) fan switch as being compatible with it.
Attached are pictures of the repair harness with 4 pin connector, along with the two styles of fan switches. Thanks.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Proper Repair Harness for HVAC control fan

The fourth and fifth pin is jumpered together if you look closely so you should only need the 4 pin connector I would assume
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

That's my assumption too, but the 5 pin bi-level part number is not listed for this connector, and you know what happens when we ass-u-me.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I ordered the harness shown. I pulled the HVAC control out of the dash (was hoping I could wait until I had the harness in hand and pull the dash apart just once) and saw that it had only 4 blades - no jumpered blade as shown above, even though I do have bi-level on my control. I bought the HVAC control whole unit from LMC years ago, so who knows what the aftermarket manufacturer threw into that thing.
I also ordered both vacuum tanks for the HVAC, because I have a vacuum leak somewhere I cannot locate and suspect the tanks aren't holding vacuum. $41 delivered from OE Warehouse for all 3 items - supposed to be genuine Delco