The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
jokers_vs_clowns

Question Transmission Inquiry

I love old trucks but I am no mechanic. I know I have a minor transmission leak. Liquid is red and its on on/around the transmission. I checked the level of fluid and it say "add 1 PT" (yes the truck was hot and I went through all the gears while having the E-brake on) I practically added the entire Quart of tranny fluid and the level hasn't changed. It barely shifts hard from first to second but unnoticable from second to third. I have no idea if its the original tranny or the original dip stick. Is there another way I can check the fluid level without trying to figure out if the tranny is original and the dipstick was replaced or the other way around???
Engine is a 350 small block with a 400h tranny. At least that's what the guy said who sold it to me. Any tips/tricks/advice is appreciated.
jokers_vs_clowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
silverstreak

Re: Transmission Inquiry

The 350 THM400 combo was availiable in our trucks, so it may even be the original powertrain.
Some trans dipsticks are very hard to read. I have to hold the one in my Ford horizontal and level and look across it to see it clearly.
How does the truck act when you put in gear? Does in lurch forward at all when it goes into gear. If it was a pint low, and you added a whole quart, you would definitely see the level rise.
Here's my thoughts, and I may be wrong, so take this with a grain of salt. If the trans fluid is really low, and you can't feel it jump into gear, what you may be seeing on the dipstick is the residual fluid the dipstick picks up as it wanders through the dipstick tube. In other words it still may be too low to even read on the stick.
silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

As far as I know the TH350 and TH400 dipsticks are the same. You should try to ID which transmission you have. http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transm...tification.php
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
willys72fleetside

There is no other way to check the fluid, that I know of, just make sure that the trans is hot and idling in park. You do have to allow a little time for the filuid to drain down the tube, I will usally give it a minute.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
jokers_vs_clowns

Thumbs up Re: Transmission Inquiry

I'll get back to y'all if the tranny is actually a TH400. I got a manual and I believe it tells you how to check the model. It makes sense that the visual fluid I see on the dipstick would be just residual fluid and the tranny is just that low. My dad said to add a little at a time, drive it around the block and check again till I see the fluid rise.

To answer the question about the truck lurching forward when I shift gears is : yes it does. I wouldn't say it bucks like a horse but it does jump when I reach the Drive gear.

I appreciate all the answers and future responses.
jokers_vs_clowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
big mike71

Change the fluild and the filter and then add the recommended amount,