The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
ECU PIRATE

Muncie Car tranny in Square Body

Just wanted to see how many of you guys are running and M20, M21, or M22 in your square bodies? I just traded one of my .45's for one. I am really stoked on putting it in my truck!!!!!!!!!!! Checked it out over the weekend and it spins freely and goes through all of the gears with no problems. The guy is a big GTO fan and has about (6) Goats in his various garages and about (15) Muncies, BW T10, and Saginaw 4 spds laying around and this one is the best of the bunch......

It is a M21 out of a 68' GTO and comes with the original Hurst Shifter, linkage and ball. I am going to pick it up tonight but I will make sure that we pull the side cover off and look at the gears to make sure that they are not chewed up. Looks like it is a "win-win" for me since the wife is on my a*& about all of the "big boy toys" that are cluttering up the house
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
faribran

Re: Muncie Car tranny in Square Body

sounds like a good swap to me.... good luck.. make sure its not leaking around the Idler shaft below the input shaft
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

I run an M21 in my '85. You'll need a car bellhousing or an adapter ring for your truck bellhousing.....the hole is bigger in the truck bell and the trans will not align properly. It's an okay trans, the 2.20 first gear is pretty tall unless you've got a bunch of power or are running a lot of rear gear.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

I personally would try to get the M22 from him. I went through two M21's before i finally broke down and went with a M22. Another option is a super T-10. That was a good tranny for me too. But since you said you traded then that really isnt an option BTW what .45 did you trade. (trying to see if the trade was fair) http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...876451085.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...872679778.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...875407145.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/1803553891.html
As you can see some people think these things are gold as others just dont know what they got. I think about a grand is about as high as i would go for a nicely rebuilt M21 with quality parts and a guy who knows his stuff.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

This has come up quite a bit lately for some reason? And, as always, I recommend against it. The 2.20 first gear is way to high for something this heavy. You would have to run a pretty low rear end gear and still have to drive it rather aggressively...and the highway driving is limited. If you gear it to be drivable in the city it will rev to the moon at highway speed.
On the other hand, geared for highway will make it a real slug in town.
A wide ratio M-20 is a little improvement, but there are lower geared BW T-10s that would be a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
ECU PIRATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
I personally would try to get the M22 from him. I went through two M21's before i finally broke down and went with a M22. Another option is a super T-10. That was a good tranny for me too. But since you said you traded then that really isnt an option BTW what .45 did you trade. (trying to see if the trade was fair) http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...876451085.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...872679778.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...875407145.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/1803553891.html
As you can see some people think these things are gold as others just dont know what they got. I think about a grand is about as high as i would go for a nicely rebuilt M21 with quality parts and a guy who knows his stuff.
I traded him one of my Springfields (GI .45 parkerized) that I haven't taken out in over a year. That one just sat in the drawer since I got my hands on an Ultra Compact with a 3.5" barrel.............
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

i found this guy some time ago he has a Muncie Hurst 4 speed
does pretty good i think i just dont think it would do good in a big dually truck behind a Diesel with 4.10 gears lol

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.

Last edited by GmtGmt; 08-03-2010 at 05:42 AM.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
ECU PIRATE

Well..................We made the trade last night and I picked up the tranny. Turns out it is a wide ratio M20 (main case casting # 3925660). So this was one has a 1st gear of 2.52. I attached some pics (quality sucks because all I had was my phone)
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

You did Okay then. The GI model is their base and valued at about $550ish used. I was going to say if you had traded a colt or a TRP or Baer you would be getting the VERY short end of the stick.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
ECU PIRATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleowner75 View Post
You did Okay then. The GI model is their base and valued at about $550ish used. I was going to say if you had traded a colt or a TRP or Baer you would be getting the VERY short end of the stick.
Thanks. I ran this over in my mind before I offered up the trade. Just one of the things I like to collect besides truck parts. Even though not the place to show them, I added this. That is why the GI model was not getting and love or ammo.......
Attached Images