The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Am I being to picky?

I was looking at ebay auctions and ran across a set of what was advertised as NOS 67-72 full size hubcaps. I clicked on the auction only to find out that they are 73 and later. As most of know the 67-68 full caps are different (black with red bowtie in center and no center piece), 69-72 have the blue bowtie and ring in the center piece, while the 73 and later have the yellow bowtie and ring painted in the center piece. To the sellers credit, once notified, he added that these hubcaps were not used in 67-68. Then someone else must have contacted him to tell him that they are correct for 73 and later trucks and not the 69-72 because of the color of the bowties. Because his reply to that was:

"Please note - I received an E-Mail from another Ebay member stating these are correct caps for the year 1973 and up! - They pointed out that 67-72 caps have a blue center - not yellow. For you 100% purists out there please check your application before bidding. Thanks for the info."

To me that is like trying to pass off a van tilt as a truck tilt!! Yes you can alter something a little to make it work, but the bottom line is it's a van tilt!!
Again to this sellers credit when notified what it was he had he came right out and posted it on his auction, but it is still the sellers responsibility to know what it is that he is selling. Also what does this have to do with being a purest? They are what they are and purism doesn't have anything to do with it.

Now I sell stuff on ebay from time to time, and sometimes I am unsure of it's correct application. But if I don't know for sure what it is I am selling or what it's application is I say so up front!! I advertise it as what I think it is for and state in the auction that I am not positive about it, then I leave it to the bidder to decide.

Now I haven't said anything to the bidder and I am not even going to post a link to the auction because even I think that maybe I am just being too picky..... But I would still like your guy's thoughts on this. Sorry for the long post and maybe I just have too much time on my hands today...LOL WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

ebay...buyer beware! im like you though, if you are not 100% sure you are right, say so, dont try and guess
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I don't see that as being picky!

If you are asking for a certain year or need a certain part, than the seller needs to know what the part is. It is up to the buyer as to whether a substitution is acceptable.

If a seller is not sure, he can always say something like I believe that a part is such and such, but if someone points out that the part is not as represented then he needs to change the description without a lot of editorial comment.

Some parts go for high dollars because of what they are supposed to be and substituted parts may be substantially cheaper.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

if you dont know for sure then say so up front

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
jeepbut

The problem is, this guy might have been absolutley sure(in his mind) that these were 67-72. To his credit he corrected it and I think he his entitled to his purist comment because he paid for the auction. If his comments turn off a buyer,too bad for him. Bottom line is the e-bay buyer better be sure what he is bidding on. Yes, I think you are being too picky, but keep in mind your knowedge of these trucks is 10 times the average e-bay seller. Better to be too picky about some things than to not give a sh!t about anything!!! Thanks, Lyman
jeepbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You want what you want.
There is no telling how many ppl have bought the wrong part thinking it is the right one just becouse the seller says its right.
I agree with you Wes
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
StingRay

Not picky just the kind of guy we all wish we were dealing with when we buy on ebay. My wife sells a bit of stuff on ebay and I always say to her to be honest and describe the item to the best of her abilities. I say if you don't know for sure then don't represent it as though you do know. I always say to her that when it comes time to ship it has to get to the other end in ONE piece or it was all for nothing and the guy or gal at the other end may have really wanted the item.

There is aot of satisfaction when a package arrives, it is in one piece and it what you expected to get for your money. My wife now has 202 positive feedbacks with no negatives and no neautrals. If little problems arise she usually just refunds the full purchase price plus shipping and tells them to keep the item as well. At least a few of the rest of us must be pretty picky too.

No Wes NOT picky just real solid high standards and that old fashioned do unto others way of thinking. Kind of the way I always thought it was supposed to be
Old 02-21-2003, 05:27 PM   #8
gman

I'm really not following what the concern is. One thing is for sure.......the person didn't know what they were selling. I saw the same auction.......I believe they were supposedly still packaged in the original wrap. I think the guy just made an honest mistake and I don't think he was trying to be nasty in his update to the auction. By the way Wes, what do you feel would be a fair price for a set of caps in 'great' shape for a 72 4x4.....front caps having the holes for the 4x4 hubs as well as the ones for the rears. Keeping my eye out for a set but unsure what a fair price might be. I got a complete set for $10 but they have a couple small dents in a couple of them. Couldn't pass them up. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
cdowns

ebay!!! god bless em there's a lot of real bougus descriptions on there!!! i collect antique bicycles and motorbikes you should see the crap they try and pawn off there EVERYBODYS AN EXPERT!!!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
Classic Heartbeat

Well I have always felt that the parts should be represented as what they are... If you are not sure what it is just say so. I don't feel as if the guy was trying to deceive anyone and it was just a mistake as far as the years are concerned. But like however jeepbut hit the nail on the head... It was the purest comment that got my goat!! Can anyone tell me how purism has anything to do with what the part is??? They are 73 and later caps and that is it.. Run the numbers, that will tell you the same thing...

This goes back to an auction that somebody posted a couple weeks back about a tilt column on ebay. They wanted to know if it was a van tilt or truck tilt... Well it was obviously a van tilt, but it was listed as a Blazer tilt..... The guy received several emails from people asking if it was a true Blazer tilt and he responded on his auction that it was. That he had pulled it out of a Blazer and he was dead sure it was a truck tilt! Well I emailed him and explained to him it was a van tilt and I got the same response back thanking me for my concern, but it is a Blazer tilt. To make a long story short, I explained the differences to him and gave him several sources where he could find the same information. His response was I pulled it out of a Blazer so that makes it a Blazer tilt to him!! I responded back and said, if you would have pulled that column out of an airplane, would that make it an airplane tilt? His response was: YES!!!!

The poor guy who won the auction just got scammed!! Because the seller had ample time to correct his mistake, but because the Blazer tilt would bring more money than a Van tilt he left his auction the way it was.. I am sorry guys but that just flat pisses me off!!! I hate seeing unsuspecting people loosing money from legitimate mistakes, but it infuriates me to see someone rip somebody off intentionally like this guy!!.....

Again I would like to commend the guy selling the hubcaps for letting people know that they are 73 up hubcaps, but the purest comment to me serves no purpose other than to try to raise the value of the hubcaps by implying they are the same caps as the more valuable 69-72 caps....

Anyway I thank everyone for there comments and I am happy to see that maybe I wasn't just being picky, but it gave me a chance to get it off my chest and I feel better now!! LOL Thanks for your input... WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com

(I did let the winning bidder of the "Blazer Tilt" know he just got scammed also!!) Wright or wrong I did, because it was I felt the right thing to do!!)
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 02-21-2003, 08:44 PM   #11
dat

I'm with you Wes...

To try and pass them off as NOS and then not pull and re-list the caps as '73's after the correction is a bit more than a mistake, honest or not.

More like saying it's a blue such-and-such but it's really a red one and then telling people, "Well, it will still fit." Well sure it will, but THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID IT WAS!

just my 2¢
Old 02-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #12
69oldie
Never too many LONGHORNS!

Just make sure when you buy stuff on E-bay.....Do your home work first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I try to research first BEFORE I bid on anything!! There are A LOT of misrepresentations of parts on E-bay.....by accident AND intentionally to make a fast buck.

JUST BEWARE & DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
69oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:13 PM   #13
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Wes,
i'm the person that told him they were 73 up hubcaps, i did it in a polite way and he responded in a polite manner. i believe he was unsure of the application and tried to guess what years they were correct for. i'm glad he was honest enough to edit his ad as he wants some serious cash for them.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:58 PM   #14
Classic Heartbeat

Jerry, that is why I said that he should be commended. I also am of the beliefe (misstakenly maybe) that someone who doesn't know everything about the parts he wants, should be able to count on the person selling the parts to know what he is selling. If not then say so right up front. You are right he wants some seriouse cash for them, but just for that reason alone he should research his parts better. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 02-22-2003, 02:47 AM   #15
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Wes - You know a good way to fix a guy like the "blazer tilt" guy? E-mail everyone who bids on it and let them know he is full of cow patties!! They can retract their bid and he loses without hurting anyones wallet. If got the time you can even harass him this way for being such a schmuck. And he'll give up doing business if everyone retracts their bids. That way you can keep the losers off of ebay. Well, maybe just let him have his bad karma. Naw I'd get even with that guy he sounds like a schmuck
Old 02-22-2003, 02:52 AM   #16
Myride

I agree with wes.
Myride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:47 AM   #17
Classic Heartbeat

rusty ol' 69, I did just that... Well at least I did to the highest bidder anyways... You want to know about one angry seller.. Wow!! You would be suprized what a shmuck like that will say and do to protect his lies.... To make a long story short he got in trouble with ebay (or at least he said he did) in not so nice of terms, called me every name in the book and had the gonads to tell me I should spend more time working on the trucks instead of looking at them in books, then I might learn something about them.... LOL I guess I could have sent him pictures and told him about my rather large family of trucks, but I thought what's the point. He was caught dead to rights and didn't make the sale. Like I said befor,.... right, or wrong I did it and I feel good about it... WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 02-22-2003, 06:36 AM   #18
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with eBay as of late...I just had two auctions go up, and after over 60 good auctions (both selling and buying), both buyers flaked completely.

And no, Wes, you're certainly not being too picky. A part that interchanges, especially if it interchanges with mods, is not the original part. This isn't such a huge thing with these trucks, since original or very-close-to-original parts for just about everything are available, but with other vehicles, it's crucial...

IMO, I see no difference between what the guy with the "Blazer" tilt was doing and if, say, someone put up a Chevrolet S10 clutch on eBay as an Opel GT clutch. Yes, it is a popular swap (seeing as even at the highest possible machinist rates to do the relatively small mods to the flywheel, the S10 clutch is still far cheaper than an actual GT clutch - which has to be special ordered from Germany, and flat-out better to boot) and in end function there is no difference...but a Chevrolet S10 clutch is certainly no GT clutch.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:00 AM   #19
Leinie

I saw a guy advertising "69-72 Blazer Liftgate Handle" on E-bay.
When I looked at his picture I could tell it was a $7 garage door handle from Menards.
When I e-mailed him to explain, I got a nasty reply. ( "It doesn't say NOS in the add " ) I don't know how it ended after I e-mailed all his bidders.
I'm with you Wes- you gotta point this stuff out if you see it, or it will only get worse.
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote