The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
bradley7576

starter issues

here the dill pickle! put a new starter on the truck about a month ago. it was grinding the flywheel, so i put sims on it (4 of them) it worked great then yesterday it starts grinding again. what is the deal. is the starter bad i mean a month of no grinding and now more grinding how does that happen?
bradley7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Field and Son

Re: starter issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley7576 View Post
here the dill pickle! put a new starter on the truck about a month ago. it was grinding the flywheel, so i put sims on it (4 of them) it worked great then yesterday it starts grinding again. what is the deal. is the starter bad i mean a month of no grinding and now more grinding how does that happen?
I had the same problem with a new starter. I wanted to believe and I guess still do believe that the cheap import starters from discount auto stores are junk. So I pulled it out, went to a buddy and pulled one off an old engine he had in the back room. Put this on and no problems since. No shimms, no hassels, just good old american made parts.
Field and Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
bradley7576

it's just one thing after another
Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
68CEE10

the starter might have came loose. i've had to put locktight on the the bolts to keep mine aligned.
68CEE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Field and Son

Hang in there, some days it seems like a lot of trouble but I believe it is all worth it. I spend more time than I should only buying american made parts for my truck. It is a tough job too. I have an 84 that needs power steering lines. I have at least 3 hours and 200 miles and still no lines. Should not need to be that tough. Here's my take on it. Auto parts stores could sell american made parts, but the profit margin is not there, like the Chinese parts. They see it fit to charge the same money as always just as if they were good parts. American made parts are not any more money to buy when you can find them. The shops dont like to sell them beacause they don't make as much on them. In the end the consumer as always gets the shaft. Will it ever change? I doubt it unless everyone is willing to walk away with nothing and hunt for something that says made in USA. Heck Made in Mexico and Made in Japan is now a sign of quality!! Something is way wrong!!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
bradley7576

but where can i get american made parts? that fit?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Field and Son

I always try to buy old parts and rebuild or refurbish them to new condition, and you can do that right here on the site. Just post a wanted to buy ad and in most cases someone will have what you need and be able to sell it to you at a good price and ship to your location. Other than that I search the internet and try to find manufaturers and supply houses. It can be frustrating and time consuming looking, but I always feel real good when it is done and over...

Last edited by Field and Son; 08-15-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
bradley7576

i replaced the starter today. it sounds smooth, really really smooth. the other starter was spinning way to fast. but, now something else happened. as usual. this time it dies when i stop. it hasn't done that until now. first, the lights, then the hole in the oil pan then the oil pump then the stuck thermostat, then the wires then the leak in around the timing cover then the temp gauge not working (still doesn't by the way- still working on that) and that is just the last 3 weeks. can't be to much more go wrong now. can there?