The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Firebirdjones

Trailriding today and found a surprise

We have a trail out of the back of the neighborhood about 10 miles long that connects to Perkinsville Road which runs from Jerome (behind the fire station) and through Perkinsville, and on to Chino Valley. It's the old train route Jerome used during it's mining heyday.

When we got to Perkinsville we were greeted with a road block. Turned out they were running an off road rally today from Chino to Jerome and using Perkinsville Rd. So we were given 2 choices, turn around and go back home the way we came or sit and watch. We chose the latter
Pretty wild, these guys were flying in everything from pickups to little awd foreign cars. You could stand right on the edge of the road if you dared. Might wind up on the 6 o'clock news though
Good thing we packed a lunch, but I was still bummed we didn't make our planned trip which was Perkinsville and then north all the way to Williams using dirt roads, and eat lunch at the lakes off of Dog Town.

Anyway, thought you all might enjoy some pics.

These guys were going by so fast, I had a hard time getting them into the frame before I could push the button.

After they raced from Chino to Jerome, they went back the other way. Here is a V8 truck that went by heading away from Jerome at about 100 mph,,,no kidding :shock: If this guy doesn't make the turn where I'm standing I'm fubar :shock:

Here are a couple of shots of us parked next to the road where we come into Perkinsville Rd. Decided to get comfy and sit a while

I decided to cross the road and hike up the mountain a bit on the other side for some shots. You can see the blazer backed in towards the main road with my wife and son sitting in the back, tailgating at it's finest :P We were pretty darn close to the action

We had enough dust in our face for one day so after the road was cleared we went to Jerome from there (about 6 more miles of dirt) and took 89A back home.
Spent 3 hours cleaning the darn thing back up :roll:

Didn't get to where we wanted, and felt like we spent all day not getting anywhere. Does that make sense But I found it interesting they run road rallys just behind my house. The spotters there told me they come from all over the country for this and they have been doing it for years, every year in October. They also told me it's an $800 entry fee :shock: I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
72junky

Re: Trailriding today and found a surprise

Thanks for the pics! I lived in north Pheonix back in 67-68. I was ten. We would go to Jerome, Prescott, and Williams on weekend trips. Wasn't Jerome a "ghost town/tourist place"? I remember there being a creek north of there(i think) where we would go tubing. But, that was a long time ago. Thanks for the great pictures of the high desert, i have fond memories of God's country. Oh, really nice Blazer too!!!

L88R,
'72 K10 custom/10 350/4spd,ps,pb,ac,tilt,tach,3:73 posi,buddy buckets - driver
'72 Cheyenne/10 swb 355/th350,factory black, loaded and lowered - toy
'72 Cheyenne/10 lwb, 350/th350,ps,pb,ac,tilt - current project build
'72 K5 Blazer CST 350/th350,ps,pb,ac,tilt,tach,3:73 posi - project rust bucket -Unfortunately Sold
plus 4 others too ashamed to post
72junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Firebirdjones

Ya Jerome stopped mining in the 1920's I believe, and it's now a tourist town, and they say the old hosipital (now a motel) as well as some of the burger joints (aka Haunted Hamburger) are all haunted.
They are now decorating for Holloween. Pretty cool this time of year to go up in the evenings and walk the town.
But of course as you might know, there are alot of old ghost towns and haunted buildings all around Arizona. Prescott has quite a few. Just about every booming mining town that came and went around here had killings at some point. South East Arizona was a real hot spot, you've heard the stories I'm sure.

Beautiful back country up here, I can drive around the trails for hours with no where to go
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
hoopty-cuztom

just so you know those little foreign cars are Subaru's
nice pics, blazer looks good
hoopty-cuztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Very cool.

We used to do brake testing on Mingus Mountain. We'd start at the top and run down the back side (took about 4 minutes) - cruise back up to the top - and then run down the front side (took about 11 minutes). We'd do some pedal effectiveness stops once we got to Jerome and then again at the very bottom.

Good times!

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
joemacho

nice rig fire and pretty cool to have a road race behind your back yard lol haha

1959 chevy apache shortbed fleetside (brsgrm)

1966 Chevy c30 duallie 2wd (big chief)
joemacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Very cool.

We used to do brake testing on Mingus Mountain. We'd start at the top and run down the back side (took about 4 minutes) - cruise back up to the top - and then run down the front side (took about 11 minutes). We'd do some pedal effectiveness stops once we got to Jerome and then again at the very bottom.

Good times!

K
I'm just 5 mintues from Mingus Mt. I can see the fairgrounds from my house. People still drive like that up and down the mountain too just in case you were wondering
I wouldn't mind it as long as they stayed on their side of the road. But that's not always the case.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
fun in dirt

what happened to the pics?
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
yote1234

i.ve taken the back road from prescot to gerome in a 37' motorhome...
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote1234 View Post
i.ve taken the back road from prescot to gerome in a 37' motorhome...
Ya the main road, (Perkinsville) would accomodate something that large. The road I use to get back there from Prescott Valley (318A that connects behind my house) is a 7 mile long one lane road with switchbacks and very rough terrain that requires high clearance. As a matter of fact, there are a few tight squeeze areas where I have to be carefull in the blazer with rock formations on either side barely wide enough for a full size blazer to squeeze through. If you meet an off roader coming the other way things get a bit interesting with several hundered foot drop offs. It's a much easier road in our smaller jeep

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-04-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
what happened to the pics?
I don't know, that's photobucket for ya I guess. Sometimes they'll stay on there for 2 weeks and sometimes 2 days.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
JimmyFloyd

Would love to see the pictures. Could even email me if you can't get them back on Photobucket.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

I'll mess around with photobucket again, if I can remember the order I posted them I'll redo that post.
If I'm not successfull I can email you no problem