The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

HELP!!! Coolant in Oil Pan

350 bored .030 over...
I had a leaking head gasket (oil), and so pulled the heads and replaced the head gaskets with copper head gaskets. (The ones that don't need to be o-ringed, and that have the sealant already on them.)
Anyway, after I get the motor all together, I start topping off the fluids, and my coolant is coming out of my oil pan.
The rad never got over half full, so it must be going up through the bottom rad hose into the water pump, but I can't understand where it would be going from there. And by never got over half full... I mean it was going into the oil pan that fast...
This motor was running fine when I tore it apart, and only had the oil leak at the back of the driver's side head gasket.

What could be wrong here?
Does the copper head gasket need to be run without coolant to get it to seat up or something?

HELP!!!
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 10-10-2010 at 06:15 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Re: HELP!!! Coolant in Oil Pan

Oh... and I haven't fired the motor up yet... so this leak is pre-running of install.

Any ideas?

Intake manifold gasket?
Head gasket?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Did you blow out the head bolt holes and use non-hardening Permatex on the threads?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Did you blow out the head bolt holes and use non-hardening Permatex on the threads?
Yes on blowing out, no on the permatex.
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
llowlife

I was thinking intake. I have never used copper Head gaskets so I have no experience with them. Realistically anything other than that may not be happy good news.....Why don't yo add a little air pressure to the radiator and hear whatcha hear

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.

Last edited by llowlife; 10-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
dmwphoto

to run in that fast (since I assume it was fine before except for the oil leak) it has to be an intake issue. Lowlife is spot on you can pressurize with air and listen.
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

How do I add air pressure to the radiator? Could I jam the air hose into the Rad overflow hose?
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Could the coolant make it all the way to the intake with the Rad only 1/4 to 1/2 full?
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
71 super

What type of copper head gaskets? I have used "Copperhead" brand gaskets in the past and loved them. They served the intended purpose of avoiding "o" rings and killed off a little compression so the motor could be streeted. Best part throw them in the oven at 400* or so for a few and you can reuse them. Are you using head studs? If so are the they torqued using oil or ARP lube? Not pulling threads out of the block are you, that is if you are using regular head bolts? Had that problem once and the studs cured that. I agree that you need the seal threads, but think it is a problem lower than the intake.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
What type of copper head gaskets? I have used "Copperhead" brand gaskets in the past and loved them. They served the intended purpose of avoiding "o" rings and killed off a little compression so the motor could be streeted. Best part throw them in the oven at 400* or so for a few and you can reuse them. Are you using head studs? If so are the they torqued using oil or ARP lube? Not pulling threads out of the block are you, that is if you are using regular head bolts? Had that problem once and the studs cured that. I agree that you need the seal threads, but think it is a problem lower than the intake.
SCE Titan ICS copper head gaskets.
ARP bolts... oil.
I don't think I'm pulling threads out of the block. Doesn't feel like it at least.

What could be below the intake causing this?
I'm going to try the air test tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
71 super

Head gasket not sealing is about all. Pull the water neck and add some more water to see if by chance it is getting to the intake. If it is not, the the heads will have to come off again. Heat the gaskets to reset them per manufacturer's instructions and go at it again. If still on the stand this will suck but not too bad. Good luck.
66 Volkswagen bettle
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #12
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Could be cracked or warped heads. Did it ever run hot? Did you have the heads checked out? Whatever it is it sounds like it will be coming back apart, sorry about your luck.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
Could be cracked or warped heads. Did it ever run hot? Did you have the heads checked out? Whatever it is it sounds like it will be coming back apart, sorry about your luck.
If that was the case, wouldn't I have been having this problem before I pulled the heads?
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Ok... so this is what I am going to try when I get home after work today.
First, pull the water neck and add fluid. If water comes out of oil pan first, then...
Second, pull off the intake manifold and add water. If same results...
Third, pull off heads and add water. If water is still coming out of the pan before coming out of the top of the block, I'm going to pull the motor back out of the truck.

Here's to hoping I get this puppy fixed before getting to third.
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
dmwphoto

I'll bet you a beer it is a bad seal on the intake
Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

And the winner is...
71Super
It is the head gasket.
when the water level gets high enough, it leaks in all 4 corners from under the heads into the lifter valley.
All I can say to that is WTF!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
dmwphoto

owe u a beer...
Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

So... what should I use on the heads to seal them?
They say "integral seals" but I obviously can't trust that. I'm going to seal the bejesus out of these things.
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
71 super

Check back with the manufacturer of the head gaskets, they should be reuseable. Find out the exact process and clean the wee-wee out of the block surface and the gasket before installing. Besure to use the Arp bolt lube as the oil etc will give screwwy torque readings. Check your heads again with flat straight machinist edge to be sure and check ARP to see what they recommend for threads into water jacket. This is aggrevating but should be an easy fix realatively speaking. If the copper cant be reused get the upper end felpro one shot gaskets and you should be good to go. Take your time and it will all be good.
66 Volkswagen bettle
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
check your heads again with flat straight machinist edge to be sure
x2
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #21
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

What kind of sealant?
Coppercoat?
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #22
GR8-68

you should have the heads surfaced before installing pretty cheap insurance, I dont think it is a flaw from headgasket, it does not take much of a warp to not get a good seal and it may be so minute you wont see it
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
you should have the heads surfaced before installing pretty cheap insurance, I dont think it is a flaw from headgasket, it does not take much of a warp to not get a good seal and it may be so minute you wont see it
A) Unless they bacanr warped from this, then they aren't warped. They were just checked by a shop and were A-OK.
and
2) One head being warped and leaking in a corner.... warped. BOTH heads leaking in BOTH corners... I'm looking at the head gasket. It's the only new variable.
and
Fourth) Soooo... coppercoat or what else? Can I use Ultra Black gasket pooky stuff on head gaskets?
Posted via Mobile Device

IIOY???
Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #24
71 super

NO do not use the rtv or other sealer on gaskets. Contact manufacturer to see what could be the issue. The gaskets should be dead soft and will definitely need to be "reset" by way of heat and cleaned before use. If they can be you need to check on this as they are different from the ones I have used. I realize they are expensive but you motor is more expensive. Call and speak with them for the proper technique follow their instructions and go at it again.
66 Volkswagen bettle
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
dmwphoto

Quote:
NO do not use the rtv or other sealer on gaskets. Contact manufacturer to see what could be the issue. The gaskets should be dead soft and will definitely need to be "reset" by way of heat and cleaned before use. If they can be you need to check on this as they are different from the ones I have used. I realize they are expensive but you motor is more expensive. Call and speak with them for the proper technique follow their instructions and go at it again.
solid advice there. I would take it one step further and NEVER reuse a head gasket. Cheaper to get new ones.