The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
pharmd

Help me select the right welder

I am trying to make a BIG decision, selecting my first welder. I know you get alot of these threads...BEST welder, help me choose a welder etc, sorry for cluttering the servers, but I am totally clueless here. Im a healthcare professional, and I LOVE cars. My profession doesn't allow much free time and I never had the opportunity to take vocational classes, as my parents made me always take pre-college biology, chemistry, math etc.

I am going to be doing the typical bodyparts (repairing floor pans, filling in body rot, fabricating, some frame work, etc). I also "think" there might be some utility in being able to weld aluminum. I know I had to modify the oil pan on my TBSS and had to have someone else do it because neither myself or my friends could weld aluminum. You guys could probably better advise me on other applications of aluminum welding on these types of projects.

My gut thought is instead of getting a small welder that has limited application, buying a "decent" welder that has "many" applications, so I don't have to turn around in upgrade soon after an initial purchase.

You guys tell me, is my thinking correct or not?

The 2 units im thinking of is Millermatic 211 auto-set with mpv vs millermatic 252.

If the cheaper unit would be sufficient then great, but you all have the experience, so I am relying on your knowledge and opinions.

Thanks,

Brad
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/profile/28922
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Help me select the right welder

Your definately looking in the right neighborhood. A miller is always a solid choice. Bigger is generally better. The better the welder you buy the more uses it will have. If you get a welder capable of running a spool gun you can weld aluminum. The best choice for welding aluminum is a tig welder but that is a whole different ball game. The 211 is probably all you will ever need. It welds up to 3/8 steel. You will likely never use it for anything that thick especially in automotive applications.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
pharmd

Thanks Cableguy, Im leaning in that direction right now... anyone else have different input?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The 211 should do well for what you want. The 252 is a bit of over kill unless your going into the restoration biz.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
ol_skool_chevy

with out dout the Millermatic 211 is a GREAT welder...

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
HOGDADDY

I have one of these migs and a plasma cutter from same company.

http://www.htpweld.com/index.htm

excellent custoner service too if that means anything but Miller is a good machine also.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-11-2010 at 10:25 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
clinebarger

I bought a Miller 212 3-4 years ago, Very good machine. Way better than the Hobart I had.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
C10longwb

If your willing to spend the money the miller is the best out there I personally have the 187 Hobart machine and it does a great job has done everything I've asked it to and about a third of the price you can run aluminum wire trough your machine you just have to reverse the polarity in the machine witch is easy but you have to keep your lines as stright as possible other wise your wire could ball up on you in the line (spool gun is beter for aluminum in mig aplication but another expense to add on) but for welding aluminum tig is the best mig aluminum is very dirty and won't give very good penitration. If your not going to go crazy and use it 8 hours a day for years a Hobart will handle all your needs for the price. Miller is defently a beter machine but unless your opening a shop I don't think it's worth the price differnce
Posted via Mobile Device
C10longwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #9
HOGDADDY

Why just compare these 4 wire drive systems.

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_...omparison.html

For about the same price as a miller 211 you could get this bad boy here http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_...s/mig_200.html

You are paying for the Miller name but is it really the best??

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-14-2010 at 02:26 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
Maxxd07

Just my $.02 but I bought a Panasonic Gunslinger 261 myself. Had it 3years no troubles. The only reason I bought one is I have a buddy that does alot, and I mean alot, of fab work on his farm and he bought one. I had the pleasure of running it before I made a decision. The welding store sells them along with the typical Miller and Lincoln welders. They told me they cant keep the Panasonics on hand as I had to wait 3 weeks for it to come in, and they try to keep 2 or 3 in stock. They also said they have very rarely seen any problems with them compared to the red or blue. I have welded with both and dont have a problem with them myself, although the company I work for has had the 252 into the shop many times and it isnt used that hard. Most people havent heard of them and laugh when they hear the name as I did but I am sure not dissapointed.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Mieser3

I just purchased the Millermatic 211 about a month ago. Haven't had a chance to use it a whole lot yet but I have been impressed with the limited use it's seen. You can't go wrong buying a Miller.

Last edited by Mieser3; 11-14-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Mieser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
cdowns

i love miller welders

check out www.cyberweld.com
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Buy a welder that you can buy the consumables locally at an afordable cost. I have a lincoln pro cut 25 thats a PIA to get tips for and have to order online. My sp175T welder is no problem getting parts for.

Miller and Hobart are both fine welders but my next one will be an HTP due to their customer service. I have their hand held spot welder thats far better than the Hobart spot welder. HTP also has a 90 day return policy. If you buy it and don't like the way it works send it back. Can't beat that offer.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Gobbles

I bought a 211 about 4 months ago and love it. I easily weld anything on my frame and it can be gentle enough on 110V to weld my body panels. I love it, for a grand you can't get a better welder. Never used a 252 but I imagine it has will work great but it has much more power, more then you need to weld up a car.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
pharmd

OK, the Miller 211/212 can do gasless welding...how do you guys feel about this type of welding for our type automotive application? To me that is a real attraction...you don't need gas (which to me seems like a hassle), and IMHO the gas is just one more variable to have to control...

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
crushermechanic

you can weld without gas but wled quality is poor and not good for sheet metal. once you set your gas flow you dont change it. gas is the only way to go.
crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
camjck89

argon/co2 mix gas is the way to get good quality welds, gas is going displace the elements in the air you breathe that contaminates welds. with out it youll get porosity, chard welds. from what it sounds like its saying that you can use a flux cored wire, i.e. you wont need gas cause the flux protects the weld. using flux core requires a higher amp requirement from your welder and will be more likely to distort your patch panels. in short: if you were making 4 links and welding in cross-members and some welds that require STRONG welds id say that keeping a spool of flux core (down the road after you get your welding machine)is definitely handy. If your welding body panels or about 80% of your shop chores get 75/25 argon/co2 mix gas. Hope this helps

89 toyota 3" drop 22r 4spd 2wd
camjck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #18
clinebarger

I only recommend using Flux Core wire in windy situations. Using a shielding gas is the way to go on automotive stuff. I prefer 75/25 CO2/argon mix for mild steel, Running 100% CO2 does OK with mild steel.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #19
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Use flux core in a situation where penetration might be a problem. Rusty metal, frame work or thicker metals. 1/4" and up or metals that need to be heated prior to welding
Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #20
camjck89

here ya go everything you really need to know. oh yeah and regardless if it is a lincoln welder article it pertains to the topic

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...sfluxcored.asp

89 toyota 3" drop 22r 4spd 2wd

Last edited by camjck89; 11-16-2010 at 12:35 AM.
camjck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #21
Gobbles

I wouldn't recommend welding without gas, it is nasty stuff to use and the welds leave slag. Gas is easy, set it to 10-15 Lpm and let it rip.

"You already said spite"
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #22
C10longwb

Get the gas 75 25 mix it is 100 time beter to use than flux cord I've only used flux outside welding in the wind.. With flux you'll have more prosity to deal with on trying to get your panels preped for body work And if you get the 211 frame work won't be any issue no need to pre heat just bevel it a little weld it and put a fish plate on it but a mig setup us the only way to go on sheet metal and automotive it's the most versatile you can get
Posted via Mobile Device
C10longwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #23
Mieser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbles View Post
I wouldn't recommend welding without gas, it is nasty stuff to use and the welds leave slag. Gas is easy, set it to 10-15 Lpm and let it rip.
Is this pretty close to what most of you run as far as lpm? The set-up cd I got with my Millermatic suggested to run it around 25.
Mieser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
Gobbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser3 View Post
Is this pretty close to what most of you run as far as lpm? The set-up cd I got with my Millermatic suggested to run it around 25.

Hey, actually I run 15-20 that was a memory failure on my part! Usually closer 15 LPM. I used to run 25 but decided to lower it because my area has no wind and since I have had no problems. If you start to see porous weld issues then you can up the gas level back up. Running more gas won't hurt, I just like to be cheap with welding consumables, they add up so fast.

"You already said spite"
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Revolution

I used to weld for a hotrod shop professionally on a daily basis would spend 3-6 hours under the hood non stop and I was using a 1982 miller squarewave tig. I loved the machine. For mig I had a nice 210 miller setup in my area it was a very dependable machine I liked it. My current stuff in my personal shop I run a Hobart handler 180 It's a 220v machine but it's really a nice size for moderate fab. You can run flux core if you feel the need. I don't do any personally. My Tig is just a little synchrowave 180sd. I have often wanted to sell it and move up but I don't have enough fab work right now to justify it.

Hobart if I am not mistaken is owned by Miller. I have seen really good deals on their equipment in the past. I can't remember what I paid at the time but I ended up picking it up at a Tractor supply Co.

I haven't cared much for lincoln. HTP I have been dying to use their equipment plus it's made right next to my hometown so I have been very eager just lacking funds.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote