The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Mechanic77

Air Ride Supplier?

Well, I'm going to open a can of worms here I'm just getting started on my '64 and I'm planning on going with air ride. My question is this, who is the best supplier for air ride components? I'm going to do all the fabrication work myself, so all I'm wanting is just the basic components to get it done. I'm not mr. moneybags either, so I'm planning on sticking with a basic air management system, no e-management for me.
Thanks for any info.
Oh, and let the debate begin.
Mechanic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
tech@scottshotrods

Re: Air Ride Supplier?

Give me a shout! I worked for A.R.T for 3yrs as sales/ tech/ warranty so I am extremely familiar with the product and will give you the best deal and product support of any dealer out there... Guaranteed!
Thanks,
Jon
805 485 0382
jonm@scottshotrods.com
or shoot me a PM
tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
texastrendz

I am in the same situation you are in. I did not have the funds at the time i built mine for a high end air managment system. I did some homework on the web and even called some suspension shops to help me build mine. Living in Houston Tx I have resources available that some dont. It is really easy to build a control box, wire, and plumb. I researched this site to no end and came up with a setup that is rock solid and cheap. I used hydraulic hose in my system because of the durability, that was the most expense of the system. I went to a local electrical supply a purchased my switches and a aluminum enclosure to hold them. I ran a multi strand wire i bought from a trailer place to wire it. I have about 30 dollars in my controller and it is hand held. Valves are a big expense, bought GC extreme valves from a local suspension shop. I like them because they have a DIN style connector to hold the water out. My build thread EL CHingon in the 67-72 section shows some of the plumbing and wiring. It is not as slim as some others, but it works and since i built everything I know exactly what to look for if or when a failures occur. Pm me for any questions, I am more than happy to help you.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
jimmydean

I did my '69 for pretty cheap. I used a 7 switch box off ebay ($30?), then found part of a kit someone else started and gave up on that was valves, Slam Specialties bags, tank and compressor, then I got all my fittings from Granger (brass press fittings), got all my lines from Suicide Doors, then the rest was from Ace.

I think when I was all done I spent about $600 total. 8 valves, 7 switches, 2 dual needle gauges, a tank gauge, and it was all good for air and management.

<edit> Ace Hardware, just to be clear.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 11-11-2010 at 02:28 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
tech@scottshotrods

be careful when using non D.O.T components this is your vehicle and life your riding on....

Last edited by tech@scottshotrods; 11-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.
tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@scottshotrods View Post
be careful when using non D.O.T components this is your vehicle and life your riding on....

I went with all grade 8 hardware, DOT lines and fittings, and used thread sealer (not thread tape) on all my fitting threads.

Even though it's more expensive, I will use a manifold next time and make my life easier.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote