The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Stainless

Angry help motor mounts

I have a '70 C-10... and I'm trying to find motor mounts and frame mounts to fit an olds 455 in it.... I have been looking like a freak for mounts from a late 70's truck with a 5.7 liter diesel (per crazy Longhorn)... but can't find them anywhere.... Does anyone have any other ideas to get this motor in?

~S
Stainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Yea, you might be lookin for a "haystack needle"...........I have a set hangin in the shed, but also have enough parts to build 3 more BB olds monsters! Try a 73 up truck stand, & use a car bracket(early to mid 80s cutlass /V8). you will have to weld the brackets to the stands, but they should work for you........the eng mounts themselves are the same for the car & the 5.7 d powered truck. good luck.......crazy Longhorn
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Stainless

CrazyL... did you say you wanted to sell those mounts/towers/brackets you have haning in your shed??? :-) Seriously though... I am confused.... You have what your calling towers, mounts and brackets... The towers bolt to the frame.... the brackets to the block... and the mounts inbetween..... Yes? Do some people call the "towers" pads? Or is that something different? This is making me nuts... why would I weld the brackets to the towers? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having rubber mounts? I must be way off somewhere....
Stainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

No, my pcs arent for sale......that BB olds was my favorite powerplant in the truck! The stands(towers) do bolt to the frame, & the bracket that I refer to bolts to the stand. The motor mount bolts to the block, & has a bolt running front to back to bolt it to the bracket. if you do a little peek in the boneyard, you will see what i am refering to. the 5.7 D brackets position the eng a little differently in relation to the stands than the brackets for the car do.......but if you dont mind welding the brackets to the stands after positioning them, the pcs can be sourced from a car. another thought would be to use a pc of heavywall tubing(to span the distance tween the holes on the motor mount), & weld it to the 73 up truck stands, then just weld a pc of flatstock steel top & bottom of the tube to reinforce it. I dont have any pics of those mounts........& Im sure a pic would tell much more.......crazyL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

BB truck mounts are a bolt in swap for the B-O-P engines.I did 4 of them in 1979 with BB trucks and B-O-P engines sourced from the junkyard the trucks belonged to.I never bought anything for these swaps but new Plugs/cap/wires. and used everything from the truck or the B-O-P.I used the stock B-O-P trnny's and the truck driveshafts.These were all 1 ton trucks but as much as possible GM used interchangable parts on everything they built.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote