The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
NINERS1

front end not right!

Hey guys, got my truck out of paint and the left headlight is not centered in the grill, all the front ent parts are new (fenders-grill-bumper) I took the headlight out and reinstalled it and its in right so is it my grill or core support thats off? here is a pic, you can see the left headlight is low.

not sure how to fix it. any ideas? my hood to grill lines are good and fender seems good, don't know how to tackle this!

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: front end not right!

reposition the headlight bucket
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I'd worry more about that crooked bumper.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Slick67
Sofa King Crazy!!

Check to see if the spring is installed correctly on the bucket, that will make a big difference.

My Blazer Build (New) - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=654650

My 67 Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335650

67 Chevy LWB big window a/c AKA TOTALLED BY A JACKASS.
1972 2wd Blazer "Porterbuilt and Sloshed"
Slick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
NINERS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick67 View Post
Check to see if the spring is installed correctly on the bucket, that will make a big difference.
will check it again but i think it is. i know the bumper is crooked but that is easy to fix. the light bucket fits into the bucket on the core support that is not adjustable, so i don't think i can reposition the light without moving the core support up, is that right?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
swamp rat

I would start with figuring out if the bumper is straight, cant see the tires on the pavement to judge the bumper in that pic.

Next check the radiator support mount bushings and cab mount bushings.

If you could get a shot with the sun directly facing the front of the truck it would help.

I know its got to be an optical ellusion but the grill looks taller from top to bottom on the right than the left

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
NINERS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I would start with figuring out if the bumper is straight, cant see the tires on the pavement to judge the bumper in that pic.

Next check the radiator support mount bushings and cab mount bushings.

If you could get a shot with the sun directly facing the front of the truck it would help.

I know its got to be an optical ellusion but the grill looks taller from top to bottom on the right than the left
ok, i will level the bumper and get a better pic and go from there, the core support bushings seem to be installed corectly.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Are you using an aftermarket core support? I mean one that was made by those that are not made in this country? If so the holes may not be stamped right in the support to hold the headlight mounts. Do some measuring and see if that is your problem. My project truck has an aftermarket core support and I found the radiator bolt holes to be out of alignment to the factory core design. I also found that all of the aftermarkets appear to be the same. I redid the holes on mine and now they are good. Now I am going to have to measure the headlight mounting holes to see if you have just presented me with another issue.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

I have seen this before on a truck with a slightly bent front frame horn (very common on these trucks). It looks to me like the front left frame horn is bent down causing the bumper and core support to be pulled down on that side.

If the body shop aligned the fender, grille and hood to get the best gap at the door then they would be slightly high in comparison to the bumper and headlight which are "rigidly" mounted to the frame.

The correct fix would be to have to frame checked straightened, the easy fix would be to loosen the front fender to core support mounting points and shim your core support and bumper up and re align the sheet metal so that everything fits nicely.

Or I could be out in left field...its early and I need coffee.....

Last edited by screamin_c10; 11-25-2010 at 12:41 PM.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
GruntMoanCough

I think screamin_c10 is on the right track. Measuring bottom of rad support to top of the frame rails (they would measure the same) and top of rad support to top of fender (driver's side fender would be higher than the rad support), would confirm this.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
NINERS1

Ok i got the the bumper straight, yes it is aftermarket core support but it was all straight when i took it in, makes me suspect the new gril or the new fenders, now it looks like the left side of the grill needs to go down, the bumper is now level with the ground.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
NINERS1

the bumper is level, 1/8 off side to side, grill measures 1" higher on the left side, so i think the holes on the left fender r off that the grill bolts to.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
screamin_c10

Did you test fit everything before you had it painted? If so did it all fit correctly at that time...the use of so much aftermarket sheet metal, and the known issues with it, has me concerned that it may be a combination of issues...but I still stand by my original post, that bumper is still way low in comparison to the fender/grille...good luck

Bill

Last edited by screamin_c10; 11-25-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
NINERS1

pretty sure its not the frame as it was all level before and the only new parts r outer grill and both front fenders and the bumper.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
GruntMoanCough

Being an aftermarket rad support, could be that the headlight mounting bracket is not in the right location.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
screamin_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post
Being an aftermarket rad support, could be that the headlight mounting bracket is not in the right location.
Definitely a possibility but that would not explain the bumper to grille misalignment...
Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
NINERS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post
the rad support has been on the truck for 3 years and like i said it all was level and lined up before,so i dont think it's the core support
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post
I would take all measurements from the ground to avoid confusion. Unfortunately you cant simply lower your grille 1" to match the bumper. The fender reveal as well as the hood will have a 1" gap. Step back and look at the last pic you posted and ask yourself what happens if you move individual pieces around.
For instance if you move the grille down it will not be aligned properly with the fender...if you move the front of the fender down an inch to compensate what does that do to your door to fender gap?

I would start with measuring the front frame horns (not the bumper) to the concrete and give us a side shot of the front clip from both sides so we can see the door gaps and wheel arch to tire/rim distances.

Bill
the previous measurements were from the ground, i'll take some more pics from the side

Old 11-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
NINERS1

Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
screamin_c10

I would take all measurements from the ground to avoid confusion. Unfortunately you cant simply lower your grille 1" to match the bumper. The fender reveal as well as the hood will have a 1" gap. Step back and look at the last pic you posted and ask yourself what happens if you move individual pieces around.
For instance if you move the grille down it will not be aligned properly with the fender...if you move the front of the fender down an inch to compensate what does that do to your door to fender gap?

I would start with measuring the front frame horns (not the bumper) to the concrete and give us a side shot of the front clip from both sides so we can see the door gaps and wheel arch to tire/rim distances.

Bill
Old 11-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
NINERS1

the front frame horns measure the same on both sides from the ground. you can see the top of the truck is level with the top of the house. has to be the left fender doesn't it? i know it will screw up all the gaps to move it down, so what r my options??

Last edited by NINERS1; 11-25-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
screamin_c10

The fender to door gaps look pretty good, so the front clip to cab orientation is pretty close. This just reinforces my belief that the front left frame horn is pulled down slightly.

It is not uncommon, and easily fixed at a frame/body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINERS1 View Post
i know it will screw up all the gaps to move it down, so what r my options??
I would try shimming the core support up off the frame horn a little bit at a time with the support to left fender bolts loose. The holes are slotted and or over-sized.

Once you get the headlight where you want it tighten everything up, re-adjust your hood stops and shim/adjust the bumper. This will get you on the road until you have the time/resources to take it in and have the frame horn addressed...

just my .02

Bill

Last edited by screamin_c10; 11-25-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
NINERS1

even though the frame horns measure the same to the ground? you think the left one is bent? i will try to shim the rad support on the left to bring it up some, thanks for taking the time to help me !! jim

Old 11-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
GruntMoanCough

Something I just noticed, in this pic the grille lines and the headlight lines aren't level. Maybe take the headlight out and see if it is sitting properly, looks kinda turned to me.
Oh, and pics are good, it really helps.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
GruntMoanCough

Oops, forgot pic....
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
NINERS1

looked at it and you r correct the headlight is a little crooked but the bucket is centered in the rad support bucket. good eye! oh and the headlights are not adj. properly yet, but that won't change the position.

Last edited by NINERS1; 11-25-2010 at 03:31 PM.