The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
scum1

questions on swap stuff??

the po of my truck swapped the front end of my truck with a 73-87, well everything but the x member. so i have a couple questions..

1. when im looking for shocks and coils, will 63-72 kits work on this. i know spindles will have to be from donor year, but what about shock and coil kits from cpp.

2. when i put the truck in reverse and back up the tires bow and it makes an unusual shift in the front end. the po said it could be because the front x member was not swapped but i have no personal opinions on this..if i have to take some pics or video let me know..

thanks in advance
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

Re: questions on swap stuff??

Negative. The front x member doesnt have anything to do with the tires going retarded. The po of my gmc did the same, left the x member, changed everything else. Sounds to me like the steering linkage needs some attention. My daily driver did this. After changing all the tie rod ends and the idle arm, problem was solved. I dont know about the first question you asked. Coils shouldnt be an issue due to the same size top and bottom. Probably best to measure the shock length when the truck is at rest on the ground. Im not sure how much to add though. Hope this helps...
Old 11-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
scum1

right on man thanks for the reply. the next thing im gonna do is change the ball joints, bushings, and tie rod ends. wasnt planning on doing the idler or pitman arm but i will now. with that all new and tight it should hopefully fix the problem.
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

I changed the ball joints but not the bushings. They seemed ok to me. Hopefully that wont come to bit me in the tail later. None the less, the ball jounts were easy. All I used on the lower was a big youknowwhat hammer, and the upper I just cut out the rivets and they popped right out. I put the drop spindels and drop springs on it yesterday as a matter of fact...