The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
jakeblues652

newbie, new truck, and some questions.

so first off, i got this truck this weekend. '67 chevy K10. not bad for a 15 year old, eh?
mechanically, its pretty good. the 327 was replaced with either a 305 or 302(didn't check the numbers yet). it starts up quick. its got a edelbrock 4bbl. runs like a champ. it pops out of 3rd if you let off the gas, but what can you expect from a 43 year old truck. the floors were replaced before. and the worst thing happened.....the dash....its cut! i see why you guys always urge to at least do it right. and for some reason the CD player shuts off every time you turn on the turn signal or put it in reverse. anyone know whats going on with that? all i know is it is hooked up to a yellow power wire.
the rear tubs are rusted pretty good, and the front inner fenders are starting to. the rockers could be better but arent terrible. all the wood in the bed was recently replaced.
also, i want to add a brake booster. the manual brakes are a dog to stop the truck. i dont necisarrily need discs if i dont need them. you can tel the brakes arent meant to stop 35x12.50's. 3" body lift.

okay, i know the front quarters are from a newer one because they have the lights. any pointers on getting tubs/inner fenders or anything i might need to do/replace in the future?
jakeblues652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
llowlife

Re: newbie, new truck, and some questions.

Not too bad, the only advise I will give is if the motor is a 302 chevy pull it and sell it and do a complete engine overhaul with the proceeds

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
trapperjack

Looks a lot like mine. Bed has lights too, or at least reflectors. Maybe a very late 67? 68's had reflectors, lights after that.
Cool truck. What color interior?
trapperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
jakeblues652

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjack View Post
What color interior?
someone painted it orange and black somewhere along the lines, and now im really thinking about hugger orange for the outside after i get a few panels/inner wells etc.

as for the 327, i might keep it around to rebuild and get back to orignal, or i might sell it to get some money to paint it up nice. if it is in fact a 302, how much you think i could expect for it, if i pulled it? around here a running 327 can go for up in the 5-600 range even in need of a rebuild.

also, does anyone know about reverse shackles? i was thinking that they would give me a few more inces of lift i wanted, but im not sure if it'll throw anything off. i've seen some trucks where the axles were off center in the wheel wells and thats a BIG no-no. im sort of anal with my stuff. also, anyone know of a good way to lift up the front bumper that looks clean?

i hope to get her in a partial restoration condition before i get my liscense. nothing fancy, but i hope new sheet metal, mechanically sound and looking good under the hood, and new paint/wood/and i hope for no bondo. one of the previous owners had a little field day with the bondo...
jakeblues652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
treveiger

Nice truck, i cant believe the PO switched the 327 out but if it runs good thats all that matters. Im assuming your tranny is a sm420? The electrical problems are the funnest to fix lol but hopfully its not to bad. Good age to start working on your truck, i know a guy up here that is in his early 20's and got a 68 chevelle when he was 14 and has been restoring it and making it better and faster sense then and now it is pulling over 1000whp and goes screaming around townso early starts are the best

Last edited by treveiger; 11-29-2010 at 02:29 AM.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
swamp rat

Nice truck and welcome!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Husker

Nice truck, Have fun with it.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
cam.man67

I like it. Have fun with it, and use it as a platform to learn everything about these vehicles.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote