The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Could this be my suburban??

For those of you you havent seen my quest to find my first truck, heres the original thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432625

I did go out and find that trailer park he told me about (The second owner since we sold it) but it was late, and I didnt see the suburban. I didnt want to knock on people doors (esp in a trailer park-lol) at 11:00 pm.

I just called the guy back to see if he had found the mans card who he sold it to (the 3rd owner since we sold it) and he said he didnt, but that he had another old truck he was selling and was going to clean it out, maybe it was in there. Said to call him back tomorrow evening. He also said that he did in fact have the title, (he told me he didnt) but said now he remembers handing it to the fella he sold it to. I asked "You dont have a bill of sale on the 58 willys you traded it for that mightve had his info"? Nope he said.

So If he doesnt find that card, I basically have to drive back out to that trailer park (74 miles one way from my house) and knock on every door out there. He said he thought it was like the 5th trailer on the right, but this trailer park is spread out on big lots.....

I looked up "Huffman Texas" map on google and pulled up the neighborhood on satellite, and right as you enter the neighborhood on the right there is an orange vehicle...my suburban was orange! I dont know when these photos we taken so no telling, but there is another orange vehicle slightly to the south at another house also....

So that tells me that one of those images could be it!!!! I think tomorrow I'll drive out and go knockin!

These images must be pretty new because in this image is my house, and my truck is on the road, the suburban in the yard just north of it, and south at the bottom of the pic is my neighbors silver toyota pickup which he bought like 4 months ago!

1LOW4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: Could this be my suburban??

i have been folowing your "QUEST" . I hope you find it and get it.
As some one else posted "Do not let the owner know that you are overly interested"
Throw a " I was out for a drive and saw your truck..............." or " I was in the area and saw your truck, let me take it off your hands" use that approach.
Keep us posted

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

I agree on the part about not seeming too interested, but I think I'll have a better chance of getting it if I explain its sentimental value to me....

Only an asshole would try to capitalize on that....but who knows....there are a lot of them out there
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
SuperWho

Man you are hurting for that beast!!!

My first car was a 79 Trans Am with some very unique details. I sold it back in 98 to pay for college, and have something a little more gas friendly. I have seen it pop up at various places for the past twelve years, the last being about a year ago. I would love to buy it back, but kinda the way you think fondly of an ex, until you remember why you broke up in the first place.
SuperWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
bagged69c10
soon to be bagged64sub

Looks like that vehicle is parked to where you should have seen it driving through? But I think the second one is a much more likely canidate.
1993 Sierra x-cab
1999 tahoe-4/5 on 22s
2005 Chevy work truck

Last edited by bagged69c10; 11-29-2010 at 02:48 AM.
bagged69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Bout to head out and go looking thru that neighborhood. And knock on doors if need be. Wish me luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Well made it to the neighborhood and as soon as I pull in there, there were about 4 old timers standing by their mailboxes lol, waiting for the mail.

So I ask them, "Ever seen a 64 GMC suburban, orange primer, in here?" Showed em a pic...

They all said no. They said most everyone has been in there more than 10 years and they wouldve seen it. The one said "Nice truck you got there sonny" lol meaning my '01....

So I'm supposed to call this other fella in an hour, and if hasnt found the card with the guys info on it, then my search is basically over.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

1low,

You got the vin# or a lic plate from previous? Maybe you could ask your friendly neighborhood Police Officer to run it for you.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Man we havent been able to find any documents with either on there. I will look thru my pics and see If I have a license plate shot.

I'd even be willing to pay for a carfax If I had the vin
Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
bulldoze76

If you can get the vin (carfax for the name) or the fellas name, you can start going county in his area, and go to the appraisers website, and put in his info. If he owns a house it will give you the address. Also if he has a legit business it is registered with the state..... oh you have to love public info.
bulldoze76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
ConnDemned

Why not do the gone in 60 seconds trick and see how many of that year burb are in the area by going to the dmv. I honestly don't know if they will give you that info, but might be worth a shot without a vin or current owners name.
Posted via Mobile Device
ConnDemned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
SuperWho

its a long shot, but you could check with your insurance company, if you use the same one, or if your parents do, and see if they still have the info on file.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
padresag

the only downside to this type of investigation is that the new owner must have had to seen to have it registered
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #14
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Wellllllll.......A new lead in the case of the missing suburban!

After I made the second trip to that trailer park in Huffman, and didnt come up with anything, I about gave up and called Dad to tell him I was at a brick wall.

Then at 6 pm I went ahead and called the guy that I had originally talked to (the second owner since we sold it) and he said he did not find the guys number, but he did remember the street name. It WAS NOT the neighborhood I had looked in! It was like only a 1/4 mile away!

I got this info at like 6:30. Sat and mulled over it a sec, told the wife I was leaving and headed out. I left my house at 6:55 and made it there in like 50 minutes. Thats an hour and a half drive normally lol, but I didnt want to get there too late and knock on peoples doors late.

I didnt have the address, just the street and a (bad) description of the house. The street was very curvy and took several turns, and no streetlamps, so I rolled both windows down and just drove thru slowly, looking side to side. I saw a trailer home set back a little bit, with a nice big garage behind it. The guy said when he delivered the suburban to the dude they rolled it in a garage next to a trailer home.

So I pull in, and leave the truck running with the lights on so they wouldnt think I was snooping. Knock on the door, a young guy and an older lady come to the door.

I ask "yall ever owned a 64 GMC suburban"? They said no....I said it was primer orange, the man who had it traded a 58 willys for it that he had had for like 9 years. I said he owned a side business, a pressure wash business.

They said "That sounds like our next door neighbor! He always had old cars around, and he had a trailer that he used for his pressure washing biz!" I said Great! They said but he moved......

I said do you know his name? Kid told me his name, but didnt have contact info. But they did say he is a Harris county sheriff now! So I said thanks and goodnight!

I pulled out and drove down the road a little bit to the local dollar general store and sat there and googled the Harris county sheriffs office on my phone. The lady answered, I explained I wanted to get in touch with "Officer john doe" and she said ok, so she took my name and number, and also my reason for calling. She said shes not sure what division hes with (Harris county is like the 3rd largest department in the country or something) and she didnt know what shift he worked, noght or day, but that when he logs in on his shift computer, my message to call "Nick about GMC truck" will pop up!

And hopefully he will call me!

ANd another thing, after I got the name of the guy, "Richard" I called the fella back who had gave me directions to his place (his name is richard too) and I said "Does the name Richard ****** ring a bell?" He said.....now that you mention it, I do remember that name, because I remember him saying "My name is Richard too!" After I told him my name when we originally traded trucks....

So this HAS to be him! I really hope he calls me tomorrow! And I hope he wants to sell!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 1LOW4X4; 11-30-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #15
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

The only pic I have showing the original color.

Heres more:

Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Still watching and hoping this has a positive outcome for you.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
losthope

i saw your posted pics but no lic plate (dangit). man you werent kidding when you said you were treating this like a murder case ,ariel photos,hitting dead ends then getting more tips ,canvassing door to door in neiborhoods,contacting police staions, almost like watching that first 48 show on cable but reading it instead !! good luck buddy
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #18
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
i saw your posted pics but no lic plate (dangit). man you werent kidding when you said you were treating this like a murder case ,ariel photos,hitting dead ends then getting more tips ,canvassing door to door in neiborhoods,contacting police staions, almost like watching that first 48 show on cable but reading it instead !! good luck buddy
Thanks man. I think its about over.

Well another wall. The officer called me and I told him my story. Said he did live on that road, and that he does have a pressure washing business, but it wasnt him.

he said he doesnt buy chevys first off, and that it couldve been the previous owner of the house.

But what the hell?

The guys name WAS Richard. The man who traded the suburban to the guy with the 58 willys said that he remembers the guys name being Richard because his name was also richard.

The man DID live on that street in that house-the street the "1st" Richard remembers delivering the Suburban to.

The man DID have a pressure washing business on the side (and still does) and The 1st Richard told me the Richard who lived on that road had a pressure washing biz on the side.

SO, a man who lived in the house and was named richard, and who (according to his neighbors) had a lot of old cars, and who had a pressure washing biz on the side..........said he doesnt have and never had, a 1964 orange GMC suburban.

After thinking on that, I have decided he has GOT to be lying. There is too much coincidence in that story. If this is true, it is really disappointing to know he would lie about it, and not to mention him being an officer of the law, with some dignity I would hope.

As far as I'm concerned, the search is over. Yeah, I could contact the fella before him at that house, but my Dad has never really supported this search througout the whole ordeal and its just got me down. You think he'd be excited....I try to include him on stuff but hey. Looks like I do most of it alone.

I do have the original 305 V6 engine out of it, which I retrieved out of the woods from under a tarp today from dads. He doesnt have the money and is not willing to fool with it. I'll be rebuilding it and I'll start a thread onit that I will post a link of in here. I will drop that motor into my future 60-66 truck.

I almost feel like a charcater from forrest gump, when he stops running. LOL

Last edited by 1LOW4X4; 11-30-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

wow, yueah richard MUST be lying! Thats too many coincidences!

good luck dude! this is interesting!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I understand the personal history part, but why not just find another 'burb and build it up?
if its a chevy, you could just switch the dash,grille and hood and have a gmc...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #21
SuperWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I understand the personal history part, but why not just find another 'burb and build it up?
if its a chevy, you could just switch the dash,grille and hood and have a gmc...
Or just buy this one!!!!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2086888780.html
Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #22
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

I thought about buying one. But they are hella hard to find in decent shape for a decent price.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #23
chevyman95

reminds me of this
http://jalopnik.com/5344739/how-jalo...ith-his-camaro

I am surprised you got that far, seems like every old car I buy in GA is 3-4 owners away from the registered owner and comes with 3 different bills of sale. People trade cars a lot, I tried to buy back my first truck a few months back (1995 z71) but the previous owner sold it and that was that. My dad had an old 1984 k10 that is long gone as well that I would love to have back. I am too lazy and too cheap though. In the end its just metal and rubber.
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #24
Legend56BC

Man I was hoping for a good end to that story....Maybe a Wanted Ad in his towns local paper might get him to change his mind about the truck he says he doesn't own?
Legend56BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
CVA59

1Low4x4......... I have been monitoring this post of yours and i am still hoping you will find it. I DO understand totally how you feel. I felt the exact same way you do when i came to the conclusion that my Grandad's 61 had been crushed. However, I wouldn't be too hasty in calling this Deputy a liar just yet. There is a chance that he could be telling you the truth even with the coincidences. There are many variables that you have to factor in when trying to locate old vehicles. Sometimes they are sold as scrap, given away, get told by some people that THOUGHT this guy or that guy owned but can't remember. It is very hard to go by what people say sometimes because like most of us we forget things. When i was searching for my Grandad's 61 i was told 3-4 different stories by 3-4 different people and they were all similiar in nature. However, when i finally found the correct person, he clarified all those misleading stories and confirmed to me the fate of Grandad's 61.

Here is what i would do as some others in here have said, you REALLY need to find the original VIN number and or license plate number. Go down to the Harris County Courthouse (DMV) and ask them to run the info you have thru their system. If that proves no results, then ask to look thru their archives and track it back that way. Having been a Deputy Sheriff myself, i have found several vehicles by this tried and true method and i know for a fact that it will work if you can get the right clerk at your Courthouse who is willing to go that extra step to help you. Explain your story in brief to the clerk first and then hopefully that will help encourage him/her to work with you.

This is an EXTREME longshot. Do you know the orginal GM dealer where the truck was bought new? If they are still in business you MIGHT be able to check their archives and locate a VIN number. Here in the town i live in we still have the original GM dealer that has been here since the early 60's and is still going strong. Keep in mind that this would probably be a slim to none chance but it would only cost you some time to stop by and talk to them about it.

The next thing i would do (and have done) is start riding the county roads in the last known area of the truck. If you see a house or garage with some old junk cars around it, stop and talk to the people, leave them your name and info. Start combing every junk yard, scrap yard and recycling facility you can find. Check with anyone in your area who restores old cars, see if they may have any info on it.

One other option is take that photo you posted here, make some real nice (catchy colors) wanted flyers. Put them inside every auto parts store in your area. Anyone who messes with these old trucks will stop in to their local parts store at some point to get something for it. Post them there, resturants, Lowes, Home Depot and anywhere else you can think of. Sooner or later someone will recognize it if is still in the area.

I would also stop by the Harris County Appraisal office. Give them the address of that house the Deputy lives in. Have them get you the names of every person who lived there. Follow up on the names and see what that unfolds.

Remember this above and beyond everything, you have to have PERSISTANCE!!! Don't give up based on what one guys says, especially if it doesn't sound right to you. Keep digging, the truck is probably still around and more than likely sitting in someone's backyard or barn. I restore antique gas pumps on the side. Sometimes i will spend a whole day just tracking down some old pumps that someone said someone has, he says he sold them to the guy down the road and so on and so on and so on. If you REALLY want to find this truck stay persistant and keep looking. Even if you never find it at least you will know you did all you could do.

BTW......If you will remember, Forrest Gump came out a millionaire, LOL.

Good Luck!!!

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 12-01-2010 at 11:19 AM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote