The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Fastest32

Insurance is totaling my truck.

So I got rear ended on Tuesday and of course they're gonna total my truck. I was hit from behind and shoved into the truck in front of me. I get that they wanna total my truck cause it's old but they're telling me that market value is only 2500 and that's all they have to pay me. This week has been a huge headache and now I have to go through all this bs just cause I was hit. I'm so pissed. I faxed them a bunch of trucks like mine on craigslist that are going anywhere from 5 to 10k. So heartbroken. I just got spindles and a notch to flip it too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fastest32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
mongoose

Re: Insurance is totaling my truck.

that's usually what they do unless it gets appraised.

do you have any receipts for the truck?
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Indian113

Is the insurance company of the guy who rearended you telling you that? I would get my own insurance involved quick
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
ozark

I feel for you, my wife and I are going through the same thing. A girl ran a stop sign and took the front off of my wifes car. The girls ins. located a car that was already sold and asked the dealer what would be their lowest cash price they would have taken for the car, and that is what our car is worth. The car they used to base the price of ours for was not as good shape. After hiring a lawyer we are not any better off. We have been fighting this for 2 months now and no car for my wife to drive. Another snag is I can't give a cash price for a car, we have to finance through a dealer because our local banks have gotten strict with lending and don't loan on a car that is over 4 years old now or go in debt more to buy a newer car. We were trying to pay off things because we are needing to build a new house desperately and now this. Our insurance co. has not been any help whatsoever. Also beware of insurance adjusters that use the computer program CCC valuescope to help value your vehicle.

Last edited by ozark; 12-03-2010 at 10:15 PM.
ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Fastest32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
Also beware of insurance adjusters that use the computer program CCC valuescope to help value your vehicle.
That's exactly what they're using. The two vehicles they used to compare were an 83 with a straight 6 and an 84 diesel. The bodyshop manager at my work is being very helpful and has given me good advice. My fingers are crossed but my hopes aren't too high.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Fastest32

I have a bunch of receipts. I still have hope that I will get what I have in it but I know it's gonna be huge pain in the ass. They're being total jerks about it too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Fastest32

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
ozark

ccc valuescope does just what I said, they send reps out to dealers and find out what the lowest cash price the dealers will take for a car. Our car was a SE the higher end and after the lawyer made the adjuster submitt the papers (the adjuster wouldn't let me see it) they were using LX models the base models and were using cars that were 175 miles from our home, they are only supposed to use car prices at a 100 mi radius from our home.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Owch man!

I really hope stuff gets better for you. Sharp truck, too bad.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
SeanPaintsFlames

That sucks. I had a similar thing happen to my 66 the day I finished all the paint work on it- almost the same damage as well. They were offering me a couple grand, but after I handed the adjuster a folder with $15k worth of receipts in it, they had a $15k check to me within a week. Add up all your receipts- oil, nuts and bolts, everything- and put it in a spreadsheet of some sort. It's good that you have pics as well.
If it all comes down to it, you could maybe buy it from them and fix it for pretty cheap. Then you have good excuse to tear into it and go crazy with the rebuild. Just keep your cool, despite how much you want to punch the insurance guy in the throat.

Last edited by SeanPaintsFlames; 12-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
SeanPaintsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Any older vehicle that you've spent tons of money on to restore or refresh, you should insure for a stated cash value, just make sure you can back up your value with receipts. At least then you could turn it over to your carrier and get paid the proper amount, and let them sic their lawyer team on the company who is at fault.
I had an 86 GMC that I'd spent about 10k on, mostly engine and interior, this was back in the mid 90's. Truck was stolen out of my drive way, my insurance company tried to pay me $2500 as book value. Once I produced my stack of invoices they paid me $12,500 minus my $500 deductible. The stated value policy did not cost all that much more either, it just basically is a "book value be damned, here is my receipts" valued policy. Not all insurance carriers have it though.

Looked like a beautiful truck man, sorry for your loss. You can at least yank your wheels off of it and put on some rallies with junk tires. Same with the stereo and such. Adjusters tell us "as long as their is a radio in it, it doesn't matter". And they mean inside it, like it could be laying in the seat and it's still in there.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Any older vehicle that you've spent tons of money on to restore or refresh, you should insure for a stated cash value, just make sure you can back up your value with receipts. At least then you could turn it over to your carrier and get paid the proper amount, and let them sic their lawyer team on the company who is at fault.
I had an 86 GMC that I'd spent about 10k on, mostly engine and interior, this was back in the mid 90's. Truck was stolen out of my drive way, my insurance company tried to pay me $2500 as book value. Once I produced my stack of invoices they paid me $12,500 minus my $500 deductible. The stated value policy did not cost all that much more either, it just basically is a "book value be damned, here is my receipts" valued policy. Not all insurance carriers have it though.

Looked like a beautiful truck man, sorry for your loss. You can at least yank your wheels off of it and put on some rallies with junk tires. Same with the stereo and such. Adjusters tell us "as long as their is a radio in it, it doesn't matter". And they mean inside it, like it could be laying in the seat and it's still in there.
I think what you actually want is an agreed value policy. You produce pictures/receipts on the front end and you know exactly what you will get if the car/truck is ever totalled. Stated value you still have to prove to the insurance company that the car/truck is worth the stated value after the accident.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenguin99 View Post
Stated value you still have to prove to the insurance company that the car/truck is worth the stated value after the accident.
That is not true at all. The only reason you ever have to repair a vehicle after a crash is if it is financed.....and then only if you don't choose to just pay the bank off. You still owe the balance of the financed amount and no longer have their collateral. So you have to pay them from the insurance check you receive.
The insurance is covering the cost of your loss, you do not have to put this money anywhere but into your pocket.

Stay on the other guy's insurance....and sue him personally if you cannot get satisfaction from them. An under-insured motorist's liability does not stop at the limit of his insurance. He still owes you. It might take a court order to get it, but that's the way it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That is not true at all. The only reason you ever have to repair a vehicle after a crash is if it is financed.....and then only if you don't choose to just pay the bank off. You still owe the balance of the financed amount and no longer have their collateral. So you have to pay them from the insurance check you receive.
I am thinking maybe you misread my post or I wasn't clear. I never said you have to repair the vehicle. Only that with a stated value policy, it is exactly that. What you state the value of your vehicle to be. You still have to prove to the insurance company that the vehicle is worth that amount when you have a claim. All of this goes out the window when dealing with someone elses insurance though.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #15
pig rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPaintsFlames View Post
Just keep your cool, despite how much you want to punch the insurance guy in the throat
I think we're related because thats how I like to handle people that piss me off

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

they wrote mine off and paid me wensday
voice mail first offer was 1200
called back second 1500
i laughed said no more like 5000
they laughed and said not with out reciepts
we agreed this monday 2200 and i keep the truck
this was my 3rd truck hit by drunk drivers
2nd 4X4 wrote off,while parked
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 12-04-2010 at 10:41 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
Fastest32

Yeah I'm still working on receipts but the lady didn't really seam to care when I told her how much money I have in it. She said some of that stuff brings the market value down. She was pretty cold hearted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
ozark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest32 View Post
Yeah I'm still working on receipts but the lady didn't really seam to care when I told her how much money I have in it. She said some of that stuff brings the market value down. She was pretty cold hearted.
Posted via Mobile Device
thats the way the adjuster was with us, we just spent 500 on the a/c the day before the wreck and new tires a week before he just said that was normal wear stuff. Today the salvage the insurance co. uses called to pick the car up and we have not recieved a payoff yet for the car.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
thats the way the adjuster was with us, we just spent 500 on the a/c the day before the wreck and new tires a week before he just said that was normal wear stuff. Today the salvage the insurance co. uses called to pick the car up and we have not recieved a payoff yet for the car.
Do Notrelease the car with out a check. You lose your leverage when you no longer have the car.
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
thepenguin99

Wow that truck is really nice. I think I would have to shoot for something along the lines of 5k + keep the truck. Is the frame bent? I know the cab is tweeked but it looks like it might be repairable.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
Fastest32

I'm not sure if I wanna fix it or just start over again with a totally straight one. The painter said he'd paint it for cheap and I know one of the body guys can help with body work plus I can to all the parts swapping myself. After it happened I just wanted to quit and buy a crappy little car and be done with it. I really just gotta focus on getting as much as I can for it before I decide. If I could somehow end up in an 87 and transfer parts to it that would be ideal. But that's wishful thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest32 View Post
I'm not sure if I wanna fix it or just start over again with a totally straight one. The painter said he'd paint it for cheap and I know one of the body guys can help with body work plus I can to all the parts swapping myself. After it happened I just wanted to quit and buy a crappy little car and be done with it. I really just gotta focus on getting as much as I can for it before I decide. If I could somehow end up in an 87 and transfer parts to it that would be ideal. But that's wishful thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device
You know even though right now my truck isn't all that much, if I got in a wreck I would not want to part with it....I'd still want to keep it and just repair it....unless I got more than what it's worth....then I'd get a new project
Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #23
treetop_73

I'm an adjuster but for property not auto or liability.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease with insurance companies. Keep fighting and taking it higher and higher in the company. I had a claim that I denied based on the policy. Obvious wear and tear, mold, long term. Pretty much a dirty lady let water drip in her home, mold everywhere, and when her kid got sick the dr said the mold wasn't helping. She filed a claim for the water damage, I denied it. She complained to anyone who would listen and those who didn't listen referred her up. The 2nd highest position in the state for the company was in my file after she got a hold of him. His note said, "Pay this claim". It was paid the next day. Just keep fighting, someone will give in just to make you go away.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
ratty 46

I work in the insurance biz for 15 yrs. - the key to success is ... paperwork. Your paperwork & your ability to present it to the insurance carrier.

Comps on craig's list, mautofied, fleebay, etc is a plus & will have trucks in SIMILAR condition.

If you present this & stand hard on your values you might be surprised. This is despite the douche bag that you'll have to deal with at the insurance company.

If you were not at fault find out who was the carrier of the person at fault & persue that first.

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #25
zimmstoy

I am in Austin too. Sorry to hear about what happened here. I am picking up a straight 87 SWB next weekend for parts. If you are interested in the cab and front clip OR even the entire roller. I am sure we can work something out. It is straight and never been hit, just stripped down. Has a clear title. I was planning to use the suspension and sell the rest off rolling.

Last edited by zimmstoy; 12-04-2010 at 01:21 AM.
zimmstoy is offline   Reply With Quote