The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

my engine won't fire...

I feel really stupid right now...I can't get my engine to fire! It will turn over, but won't fire. A couple days ago I popped my hood and saw two of my spark plug wires melted against the manifold and last night I tried to start it but didn't fire. Now today I replaced the spark plug wires and still won't fire. I don't know really what else to check. Maybe my coil? I took my distrutor off and there wasn't any moisture in there and I took off my carb cuz I thought I maybe flooded it...

What do you guys think I should look at?? Thanks.
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: my engine won't fire...

The first thing 2 things to check is if you are getting gas (or too much) and fire to the plugs. If you already know that you are getting fire and it won't run then pull the plugs to check for gas fowling. I have had to replace the whole set from flooding.

Then, you want to double check your wires are in the proper firing sequence.
Also, you might want to tell us if it HEI or points distributer. thanks and good luck.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
pat 70/71

Last week I was cleaning under the hood with a rag and didn't notice that I had pulled the connection at the main feed to the fuse block under the battery ( ran mine under the core support) anyway it started to rain so I went to start it and it only cranked no spark / no fire at the dizzy. checked all the wiring and a simple connecter had come apart when I hit it with the rag make sure you have power at the dizzy and work from there. hope this helps, cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
cdowns

if you have original points distributor have they ever been cleaned and gap set??
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

well it's a 69 chevy c10. I haven't changed anything with the electrical system, so I'm sure I have points. I've never cleaned them I guess... When I changed the wires today I took one off and put a new one on and so on so I would get the right sequence. How would I check if I'm getting fire to the plugs?? I'm sure they are all snug. And as far as getting gas in the carb i dumped a lil cap full of it into the carb and tried it then and still nothing...
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
mcbassin
Still Learning

You can check fire by pulling a wire off at the plug then stick a long screwdriver in the end ground the metal part out should jump fire when turning over the engine. You will need help to do this unless you can set it where you can see it when you're cranking it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by mcbassin; 12-25-2010 at 04:31 AM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
KrazyRay

If you still don't have spark, try running a hot wire from the positive of battery to the positive of coil. That would tell if there is a problem with the switch or wire between switch and coil. Make sure you have a couple of good engine to chassis/body grounds.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote