The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
olivj

72 disc front, rim\tire\drop question

New MiSSiSSippi guy with a 72 swb custom with front Disc brakes.

I have seen a few threads about the Boss 338 wheels not working with front disc brakes. I was wondering if they were just having issues with after markets disc packages or with OEM stuff as well. I already have front disc and would really like to not incur the extra cost to convert hubs and rotors to accomplish the same thing. I have also seen alot of people with 68,69,70 but I havent seen many with the setup on a 72 and I dont know if they are not having the issues to post about or not many people are running this setup of a 72......anyway heres what Im thinking. You guys put me back in line and set me straight if I am dreaming to big here.

I am trying to sort out what I want to do as far as drop and wheels and tires. I have PM'd several people with no response.

Heres the look that I like

Patina'd\solid\driver, I dont wanna worry about scratching it. i want to drive it to work everynow and then. Might even throw a weathered shop logo on the door.

4\6 drop static(not really looking to notch though if possible)
-Looking for some suggestions on kits and pricing.
I really like the look of the coy and boss 338's. Wanting to go with 20's all the way around and have no idea what tire size to run.
-Looking for suggestions on tire size as well. I dont want bologna skin tires but I am not looking to go offroading either. something that has a descent ride that will not bend my wheels if I hit a pothole or drive down a gravel road.

This site is a wealth of infinite knowledge just sometimes it is a little bit rough to take it all in. I am considering starting a build thread just havent done to much yet to really brag about. Keep in mind that I am also attempting to build on a budget as many of us are. Love the hobby but the wife\wallet tells me "NO" alot more often then I would like. I have settled on alot of past projects because of money\time so this time I am going to try and take my time and methodically think out things before I jump and make a bad call, then get disappointed and sell. Enough of my rambling. I have some pics as well of the truck from when I bought it about a month ago.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, Jeremy
Attached Images

olivj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
olivj

Re: 72 disc front, rim\tire\drop question

This is the stance that I am looking for.......
Attached Images

Last edited by olivj; 01-14-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
lowbuck72

That's see ten's truck it has a 3 1/2"F 6"R Early Classic drop i believe its running 255/50/17 front and 275/50/17 rear
lowbuck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
olivj

Yeah. If I need to go a little less drop and a lil less tire I am good with that. I am pretty firm on the 20's all the way around. And I am liking the looks of the gray coys or 338's.
I just want that healthy low rustic muscle car look. No rake or stagger on the rims just that low (not slammed) clean rustic driver.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

338's won't work with the oem HD rotors,... like the ones that came stock on your '72.
(1-1/4" wide rotor)
You will need to have the rotor machined or use a spacer.
Some aftermarket "big brake" kits will allow them to bolt on,... but that will blow the budget build you are after.

A 4.5/6 drop is a very streetable drop.
Stick with a 40 series tire and you will be fine.
I like staggered width wheels.
8.5's up front,... 10's out back.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 01-14-2011 at 01:32 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivj View Post
I have PM'd several people with no response.
This part of your statement bothers me.
Our board members are normally VERY helpful.
What exactly do you want to know?

I suggest looking at Early Classic Enterprises (ECE) for all your suspension parts.
These guys are very knowledgeable and they specialize in only the pre '73 trucks.

Look here: www.earlyclassic.com.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 01-14-2011 at 01:31 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
olivj

Originally Posted by olivj
I have PM'd several people with no response.

I just tried to PM a few people and it may be the way that I am trying to PM them as well. You are right about this board I have been on alot of forums and this is definately by far the most knowledgeable and friendly that I have been on so far. Dont let it bother you (no harm, no foul) didnt mean anything by it just sent some PM's and havent heard back. Maybe that the members that I contacted just havent been on in the past week but I do agree you guys have an amazing place to hangout with a vast amount of knowledge on hand.

THANKS for replies on the info that I requested. Just trying to get my plans laid out so I can get the funds set aside and not have any surprises when the BROWN GUY shows with the goodies.......lol
Old 01-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
olivj

So I am thinking ECE 4\6 static.........
Rim thing is mind boggling but I am still liking that grey 338\coy look.......