The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Has anybody cut/ground out their frame to make headers fit?Tried 4 pair now! PicsPlz

As the title states Im now on my 4th pair of headers now and all of which seem to either rub the frame or the engine mount. All four pair of headers say they were "built for 67-72 Chevy C10" and so far nothing bolts up! This is frustrating the h3ll out of me. I don t know if it makes a difference but my truck originally came with an inline 6 and is currently running a 305. Are the engine mounts different or does the cross member sit lower on a 2wd originally equipped with a 6 cyl? Can I space something to raise it up or down? Is there a better motor mount or tube mount I should replace it with? Has anybody taken drastic measures and cut/ground down their frame to make a particular set of headers work that you just had to have? Right now I have a set of patriot Block Hugger headers and this is the closest to fitting ive come so far but im still off by about 1/4". Im going on 2 months now of not driving the truck because of brake issues and constant wrong headers and Im jonezin BAD Please Help!! Sorry about all the questions but this is drivin me nuts! Ill post pictures tomorrow in the daylight when im not so irritated with my poor immobilized baby.

Speaking of pictures can I get some pics of your headers on your trucks? Id really like to see what type of engine mount/cross member you have and what type of headers get around it. Thanks in advance!
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
69CSTDawg

Re: Has anybody cut/ground out their frame to make headers fit?Tried 4 pair now! Pics

what kind of headers are you running? ive got a 69 2wd with a 383,had some headers in a box layin around saying they would fit a 3rd gen camaro and tried em to no avail but the $90 summit 67-72 truck headers fit right in fine for me also my truck was an original 350 truck so it may have different mounts but i doubt the crossmember sits differently,hope this helped ya out
69CSTDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
60ratrod
yes, i do

Re: Has anybody cut/ground out their frame to make headers fit?Tried 4 pair now! Pics

The l6 and v8 mounts are different. But i had issues with my passenger side header hitting the truck side of the mount so i ground enough off to where it would fit and line up. Haven't tried the tubular mounts that i bought yet though, but then again i just bought those
Posted via Mobile Device

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

i had to cut the frame on mine to clear the collector flange and o2 sensor bung on the drivers side, the passanger side fit perfect with no cutting. also neither one of them hit the motor mounts or anything, they are stainless shorty headers for a 1990 4x4 suburban

Last edited by project 67 sub; 01-30-2011 at 04:03 AM.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Well, so far Ive tried 2 pair of rusty unknowns I had layin around from my old 71, a set of stainless longtubes new off ebay that said they were specifically for our trucks and lastly a set of Patriot huggers. The patriots stick out to the side too far and barley rub the frame but completely clear the engine mount. Its almost as if my engine is sitting too low or something but the oil pan seems lined up with the cross member underneath which is exactly how my 71 was and I had no problems with anything on that truck. Ill post pics of the Stainless and the shortys in the morning so you can see what im working with.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Is your V-8 mounted on V-8 engine stands?
Is it in the I-6 "rearward" set of frame holes or the "forward" set of V-8 frame holes?
Does it have the correct rubber engine mounts?
All this stuff matters.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Psycho71

Hooker Comps fit my '71 like a glove. The same part number also fits my 85 burb 4x4 without a clearance issues.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hedman Street Hedders on my 1972 GMC with a SBC. had to make one small "dent" in the header tube to clear the frame rail. Can't even tell it's there.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

As promised and a little late, here are some pics of what I am working with.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A '70 frame has clearance for a big block, so I don't understand having small block header clearance issues. Just as long as you're using headers for a '63-'87 truck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

So is my engine sitting too low then? Let me know if I need to take more pics than that too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Your motor mounts look fine to me. You just need to get the correct headers. Have you tried a name brand header that is for a '63-'87 truck? I do know that Hedmann #69090 will work on the '63-'66's. Of course the small blocks in those years sit farther back than the '67-'72's. So I don't know if you will have any clearance issues with the suspension crossmember. Those headers are long tube headers. I don't know if that matters to you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerboy_4life View Post
So is my engine sitting too low then? Let me know if I need to take more pics than that too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 02-02-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
ARTISTIC

I run cheap hedman headers on mine and they fit perfect (70 c10) but look awful.

My old camaro headers fit great too (hedman as well) until it was loaded up then they rattled off the frame rail and new rubber on the mounts made a difference.

Only time Ive cut a frame is for a 302 swap in a Ranger

Last edited by ARTISTIC; 02-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
ARTISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
jimmydean

My '71 4x4 had issues with the frame rails, but the PO cut a nice line out to clear it. You couldn't tell unless you really looked. Best to get ones that fit if you can, though.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote