The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
chevy406

why does no one sell?

well to start off the other say i was driving around the not so nice part of the city i live near serching for parts and found this yard full of trucks and some things i wanted (like the box and 68 front end in it). so i go knock on the door the guys wife says she'll have him call me, a few min later he calls me i talk to him for a bit and he says he is restoring some trucks and cant sell them even though the guy at the business next to it said that the parts have been there for as long as his shop has been there which he said has been about 10 yrs. this is about the third or fourth place like this i have found and people wont sell the parts they seem like they would rather say they are "restoring" a truck and watch the parts rot away! it frustrates me a ton! sorry for the rant but was wondeing if you guys have had the same problem or maybe a solution to it.
Attached Images

chevy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
TheSeeker

Re: why does no one sell?

Well the thing is, there HIS parts. And he may actually be saving them for a restoration. Everyone has different budgets and financial limitations he could have been working on the same truck for 10 years and only actually had a few thousand into it. The best thing to do, is pout for 5 minutes, then keep looking for the next parts spot. I know it sucks when you see something you want and cant have it, but they are HIS property and he can choose to sell, or be buried with them haha. Good luck in your hunt
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

I does not look like anything has been moved in the last 30 years!

I am not sure why folks are not realistic. I have a neighbor that has a 56 T-bird in his front yard and it is close to the road. It has been there for 30 plus years but he won't sell it. He gets angry if someone stops and inquires about it. In another few years it will disappear into the ground!

At one time it was very nice but not anymore.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
IndyRich

Easy..HOARDERS!!! It's easier to say "I'm restoring that" than to face the fact that they are a hoarding pack rat who will never do anything with it but collect it and let it sit. Now if those parts were protected from the elements somehow I would believe a little more, but not stored like that.
IndyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRich View Post
Easy..HOARDERS!!! It's easier to say "I'm restoring that" than to face the fact that they are a hoarding pack rat who will never do anything with it but collect it and let it sit. Now if those parts were protected from the elements somehow I would believe a little more, but not stored like that.
I agree.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
big_al_71

hoarder at it's best they are everywhere

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

Call him again and make him an offer for the parts. Money talks and the worst thing he can say is "no" or better yet tell him you will help restore his trucks and make a new friend. But I hear where you are coming from, these trucks are all over Yellowstone and Carbon counties sitting in fields and yards. We just need to make the effort to talk to the owners, most are more than happy to talk about their rigs.
*1970 Olds 442 W-30 M-21 4-speed
*1978 Ford F250 4x4 Ranger-Explorer-Camper Special Marti Report: 1 of 1
*1986 K30 Silverado Crew Cab 502/TH400
*2002 Silverado LT 2500 Duramax Long bed Crew Cab 4x4 107K original miles
*2022 RAM Bighorn 1500 Waldoch edition ...Daily Driver
pryorstemmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
chevy406

I'm going to call him back tom and offer some money for the parts its sad to see these vehicles just waist away when there are plenty of people that really want to restore them.
Posted via Mobile Device
chevy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

A lot of guys just like having the stuff, especially if somebody else (you) take an interest in it.

We have all met these guys, and while I admit it is frustrating, the reality is it is his stuff and God Bless America, his choice to sell, restore or let it rot into the ground.

What really saddens me is when these guys die, and the relatives sell all the stuff, not even caring what the stuff meant to the old guy.

I yell at the cable show "Pawn Stars" every week. Children and grandchildren selling their relatives stuff, with no regard for family heirlooms. Sickening. A major character flaw IMO.

I already have my will made out..... the cars / trucks go to car guys, some are family, some are my motorhead car buddies.

Something to think about gang......

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

My Longhorn sat in my driveway for a few years before I was able to get it on the road, and I have to say, it always p!ssed me off when ppl would bother me about selling it.
I used to be that guy knocking on doors asking about something or another, but now, I go to people who actually want to sell there stuff and leave the other people alone.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
sjarrett71

My neighbor was like that. Had tons of parts. Wanted $1000.00 just for a frame and cab. Wanted $4000.00 for a rusted out non-running 72 short bed 4x4. Talked to him the other day cause I saw the 4x4 missing and he said he sold the whole lot for $1500.00. I don't know if he thought I was made of money or what.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

I have a yard full of these trucks for the last ten years, my dad always found another when one died then parked the previous and he always got trucks for free, not to mention a person who rented a place on our property left 4 67 chevs as well as my own fever for them. My Cheyenne brings in at least ten people a summer trying to buy her. It can be annoying but sometimes there cool people. Money wasnt always abundant so the vehicles have to wait there turn. Just now Im getting to restoring the Cheyenne and 1 suburban.
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4

Last edited by Wildstreak; 02-22-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

"Nah, not for sale. Jus needs a batt-ry"

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
todd99

Psychologist dedicate entire careers to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding
Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
kcfirstbuild

HUH - I hate when people wont sell. There is a guy that has a ton of old cars and trucks . So my dad and I went to see him to see if he had a 60's chevy truck. " uh no i don't have any vehicles like that." said the guy. HE did i could see one.

OR they just scrape it and won't sell.
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
stich626
Account Suspended

this comes up time after time..
to the original poster, get over it..
they don't make them anymore. and some guys HAVE to wait till retirement to RESTORE them..so they sit..
doesn't matter as you'd more than likely want them at scrap prices..
my chevelles have sat since 93,, when I bought them for 700.oo/200.oo/350.oo
I know I should wait till I'm able to restore one and buy it .. when a rustbucket is 4000.oo in 2034
nothing on these trucks that you can't find for sale either by a vendor,junkyard,boards like here or hemmings motor new..
get crack'n
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have just the opposite problem. I have all this junk sitting around and nobody ever stops and asks if I want to sell anything. Man, I wish someone would stop and buy all this stuff!!!..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #18
50bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have just the opposite problem. I have all this junk sitting around and nobody ever stops and asks if I want to sell anything. Man, I wish someone would stop and buy all this stuff!!!..

LockDoc
Seriously..I have to agree! hahaa
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
67_ShortFleet

Quote:
-

LockDoc
Got good doors?

My philosophy on tires is the same as cigarettes. "smoke them if you got them"

HAPPILY DIVORCED!
67_ShortFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
-

LockDoc
The problem is, we just can't get there from here..................

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
Cdaddy731

I know what you're saying man. My Grandfather is one of these hoarders. He has anything you could ever imagine, but I just want the 53 Chevy pickup, 57 Cadillac convertable or the old Edsel station wagon. No matter how much I try to buy them for, he's "gonna do something w them" even though he's on oxygen and rides.a rascal, one of the 13 that he owns LOL The caddy used to be sweet until some kids threw bricks through the original glass and tore up the top and it just sat at the shop for many years. I'm still working on getting the 53 Chevy though. It could be awesome. Sits under a shed so it has just a nice patina to it. Hopefully one of these days I'll get it. But it still drives me nuts how he is about that stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

www.GoZipTexas.com
Cdaddy731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

I love it when it burns people like you up! I've got a 1969 Copo Camaro that I got when my Dad passed, ordered with a 4 speed and a 427. Factory black with 14" steel wheels. I used to have it sitting at my shop. Any time some turd would be driving by they'd have to stop by and try and buy it. Then they'd get flustered when I told them $110,000 for the car.

Same goes for my 70 Chevelle SS with a LS5 454 and a TH400 from the factory that i've owned since I was 16.

I'll never part with either car, i've owned them or they've been in the family forever and i'll get to them when I get rid of the itch to make everything fast and can just live with a stock / restored car or truck.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #23
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Well the thing is, there HIS parts. And he may actually be saving them for a restoration. Everyone has different budgets and financial limitations he could have been working on the same truck for 10 years and only actually had a few thousand into it. The best thing to do, is pout for 5 minutes, then keep looking for the next parts spot. I know it sucks when you see something you want and cant have it, but they are HIS property and he can choose to sell, or be buried with them haha. Good luck in your hunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRich View Post
I agree with both sides of this. And I am happy that we live in a free country and there are still towns where people can keep their stuff w/out the gov't telling them to move it.

A big BUT in this case is he has the SWB and cab/front clip sitting ON THE GROUND....if he truly cared about using it or took care of his stuff he'd at LEAST have it up on blocks or wood to keep it off the ground. In a few years it will be dust on the bottom....may even be now....it's a shame to see parts go away like that.....

....but like I said....I'm happy he has that choice
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #24
NateK4340

In my experience, people like that tend to get defensive as soon as the words "is it for sale" come out and then shut you down. I do the same thing if someone asks about something I don't want to sell.
Call him up and ask him to show you his projects. Make a new friend. You never know, he may be a wealth of information. If you give him the oppurtunity to get to know you and see your passion for these trucks he may reconsider selling you some parts. At the least, you might make a new gearhead friend.

In the Garage:
'02 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 5.3l
'70 C20 Longstep 402BB
NateK4340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #25
steelscout
Words under my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
And I am happy that we live in a free country and there are still towns where people can keep their stuff w/out the gov't telling them to move it.
Eventually with complaints from surrounding neighbors or from the local gov, the man will step in and make a decision for you, with possible jail time and fines. I saw this happen ...lol.... on the show Hoarders....

Last edited by steelscout; 02-23-2011 at 06:39 AM.
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote